Post by Minidave »

Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
LiLReD1

Re: My How you've grown!

Post by LiLReD1 »

Gawd that's ugly... who's designing these "MINI's" again?? Why would a buy a "MINI" if I wanted an SUV? lol It's like a contradiction of modern terms... "MINI-SUV". :roll:
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I think Mini's have been growing since BMW did the remodel of them but I still love them. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

I like MINIs too, but that thing isn't a MINI! Can't believe this is the same company that can make eye candy like the 3-series and 5-series.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

LiLReD1 wrote:I like MINIs too, but that thing isn't a MINI! Can't believe this is the same company that can make eye candy like the 3-series and 5-series.

Well seeing what they were trying to base this thing on I can see where it gets its ugly from...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I guess it is all how you define a MINI. There were pick-up trucks, panel vans, estates, etc. back in the day. Heck, they weren't even performance cars when they were first made like they are now. I really don't understand the idea of an SUV but heck if Porsche can do I guess MINI can do it too. :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

MiniManiac wrote:I guess it is all how you define a MINI. There were pick-up trucks, panel vans, estates, etc. back in the day. Heck, they weren't even performance cars when they were first made like they are now. I really don't understand the idea of an SUV but heck if Porsche can do I guess MINI can do it too. :lol:
Agreed, so I was trying to tread lightly with my words. IMO, the natural design of the MINI was good from the start. They didn't really make it "into" anything like an SUV. Even the trucks, the panels were all pretty much the same car with a different rear end length or style. This SUV is so not that.

I'm sure some of you disagree, this is just my opinion. Just another way the modern world can squash a classic tradition of some sorts IMO. Gets annoying to me.

IMO, they could make the original classic MINI all over again, along with the new ones, and it'd sell just fine.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

No, it wouldn't - it's just too small, and it's certainly not "safe" in the modern context, with crush zones, door beams, air bags and so on. I don't think it would sell as well as a Smart car, and they can't give those away.

My main point in posting the picture was just to show how tiny the original cars were, cause even the cars we all drive now are tiny compared to most of what's on the road.......

I think the real test of tiny cars here in the states will happen when and if they bring in the Toyota IQ (probably as a Scion). Compared to a current MINI, THAT"s a little car!

As an aside, has anyone noticed that the top treatment for the new Coupe' came straight from the new Countryman or whatever they decide to call it? It was actually designed before the new coupe/roadster twins...
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Well obviously. I did't mean the exact same car they made in 1959. If they can make a Smart car safe, they can take a classic MINI, and update it enough to make it safe while still using the same body panels. Even in classic form, the MINI will always look better than a Smart!
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I have not yet see the IQ however I do know that the Fiat 500 is on its way stateside. They will be sold at Chrysler dealers as a Fiat. Those are pretty tiny. I am actually anxious to drive one.

the top treatment is hideous! if they fixed the top then it would look that much better. both the coupe and the SUV
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:No, it wouldn't - it's just too small, and it's certainly not "safe" in the modern context, with crush zones, door beams, air bags and so on. I don't think it would sell as well as a Smart car, and they can't give those away.

My main point in posting the picture was just to show how tiny the original cars were, cause even the cars we all drive now are tiny compared to most of what's on the road.......

I think the real test of tiny cars here in the states will happen when and if they bring in the Toyota IQ (probably as a Scion). Compared to a current MINI, THAT"s a little car!

As an aside, has anyone noticed that the top treatment for the new Coupe' came straight from the new Countryman or whatever they decide to call it? It was actually designed before the new coupe/roadster twins...

They iQ they are bringing over here will be labeled as a Scion and will be released Spring or Summer of next year.

And if you've ever driven a classic Mini around with today's cars you know it's pretty crazy driving. You always have to pay attention to what the big SUV next to you is going to do because he can't see you. I have problems of people seeing me in my MINI....people here in America just aren't used to, or read for, small.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
gasmini03
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gasmini03 »

Minidave wrote: has anyone noticed that the top treatment for the new Coupe' came straight from the new Countryman or whatever they decide to call it? It was actually designed before the new coupe/roadster twins...
I think it looks worse on the coupe than on the Countryman. Either way it looks like a bad toupee.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I agree, the roof on the coupe just doesn't work for me, but I'll hold off my final judgement till I see it in the metal......

Like Audi and their "shield" grill, this could be a design statement that will propogate thru the whole line eventually.....but I hope not. I didn't like Audi's gaping maw either.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Ya, I have to agree... although it is growing on me a bit for the coupe, I'm a bit torn with it still.

What's awesome though is I downloaded an expansion pack on the Forza 3 game, and wouldn't ya know it, it came with a MINI Coupe Concept. The exact one that you see in the pics. First thing I did was take it for a few laps, then hit replay to see how she looks in movement. Very stubby! lol

Here's some screen shots:

LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Oh my... sorry Dave, didn't mean to totally jack yer thread. Back on topic!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You know, the strange things is......when Dimini and I drove his P'up back to KC from Georgia, other than being fairly cramped inside, you don't really notice the size of the car, and I really did not feel intimidated by the larger vehicles we were sharing the road with.

I never feel like I'm driving a tiny car when I drive my new MINI either.....guess it's just what you get used to.

However, when I drive my '08 Tundra, I definitely know I'm driving a big damn truck!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Yeah the classic doesn't feel very small until you pull up next to a semi and you're looking at yourself in its wheel...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000