R53 Motor Mount Issue

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

R53 Motor Mount Issue

Post by matti the mini »

Well it started all innocent enough.

I went to the garage day the ragtopday (John & Johnna hosted) to do a serpentine belt change and oil change.

As davester (David Grey) was helping me, he said, oh look, your motor mount has been leaking and needs to be replaced. It's no big deal, take out these 4 bolts, remove this nut and this additional bolt, then take out the bolt on the bottom and your motor mount can be swapped out, shouldn't take much time at all.

Well, let me tell you what the status is at this point:

1. The bolt underneath - it's no ordinary bolt - a torx bolt that requires a special socket - sold in a set from Sears for $39 - found the same set on craigs list for $15 (SCORE!)

2. The fluid that leaked out of the motor mount - it's very sticky. It bound up that special torx bolt to the point that it stripped trying to take it off.

3. Baron doesn't have it in stock - but it will be here by this Thursday. ( sold in sets of 5, so if someone else is attempting this project, let me know, I'll have 4 extra bolts)

4. So now to find a little grinder to grind the bolt off the bottom after the replacements show up on Thursday.

Really, if it hadn't been for the sticking bolt underneath, this would have been a piece of cake!

Thanks David for stopping by with some help and advice!

and I'm learning more about being a shade tree mechanic every day!
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: R53 Motor Mount Issue

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Dave Gray had a suggestion on how to remove the remaining goop from the failed mount, but now I can't remember what it was? Rubbing alcohol, maybe?
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, rubbing alcohol will remove the liquid that hasn't hardened...

No you know a little more about how hard a mechaninc's job can be, especially when the job doesn't go well.

I'm still in Colorado, but I should be back Wed night, if I can help then - let me know.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

It appears the liquid has hardened.

I sent a message to Dave, but other responses are welcome as well - In doing some more research several places have recommended replacing the lower motor mounts at the same time citing extra wear on them when the top motor mount fails.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

I do have until Thursday to find replacements for them as well if needed.

(also in my research, apparently MINI recommends replacing the lower bolt when replacing the motor mount, now if that is the case, shouldn't they be sold together :) )
Bentley

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

In case of a frontal crash, that bolt is to break allowing the engine to drop. At least that is the thinking. Funny that Baron does not stock or replace them ----
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:Yes, rubbing alcohol will remove the liquid that hasn't hardened...
Finally remembered to do this tonight. My goop was a hardened baked-on mess from at least 9 months ago (when I bought the car).

Came right off with rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush. Quick wipe with a paper towel and it looks great!

Shoulda done a before and after to compare, but I didn't think fast enough.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

IowaM1N1 wrote:
Minidave wrote:Yes, rubbing alcohol will remove the liquid that hasn't hardened...
Finally remembered to do this tonight. My goop was a hardened baked-on mess from at least 9 months ago (when I bought the car).

Came right off with rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush. Quick wipe with a paper towel and it looks great!

Shoulda done a before and after to compare, but I didn't think fast enough.

I'll do that on Thursday when I'm working on mine again.

Thanks for the info!
Bentley

formerly:
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

All is well with the world now that Bentley has replaced the upper motor mount on Matti. Ended up cutting the lower bolt from the frame rail with angle grinder. Easy peasy (except one burn blister). Bentley did a super job and now on to the lower mount. More to follow----
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"