H/K Stereo problems

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

H/K Stereo problems

Post by minicoopers43 »

stereo worked fine this morning and this evening it was fine when i turned it on for about 20 seconds, then it made a horrible sound and then went to static and couldn't change the volume. Station changes everything looks fine on the head unit but nothing comes out of the speakers but the same static. There is even static coming out if i turn the h/u off. on my way home It would cut in and out a few times but only rear speakers had sound. I did a quick search on NAM and there are a few suggestions that its the amp which costs around $700. Anybody had this problem?
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: H/K Stereo problems

Post by minicoopers43 »

Well going on 4 months now with nothing but road noise and speaker hiss I am about to go insane. There is no way I am going to buy a factory amp replacement. Has anyone changed out the whole sound system in their mini?
MYMINI

Post by MYMINI »

Mine was doing that too. I could prevent it by only playing back speakers and a little bit of right front passenger speaker. I had car in at Baron for something else and asked them to check it. They quoted something like $865. I thought I will look at it when I get time. Looking online I found out how to replace. If memory serves me correct::Open door from the outside, then push door lock down, roll window down, remove door screws/center door handle. Start at bottom center, slow and firmly pry panel off metal grasps with med-large flat screwdriver, work your way up one side at a time. Once your feel one or two pop you'll get the feel. Swing out from bottom and lift on a slight angle to remove from top of door. UNPLUG SPEAKER and test stereo. If still happening , unplug speaker in other door. You can reassemble door until you purchase new speakers. I replaced my driver side top and bottom speakers. I did some looking around and just ordered them from Baron with a 20% part coupon or something. Clare
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I am actually putting in a whole new system. All the components are costing around $700 but it should sound amazing and that's still cheaper than an amp from Baron. A year is way too long without tunes especially when I spend at least an hour and half in my car every day.