Heartland Park Touring Laps April 20, 2011

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Heartland Park Touring Laps April 20, 2011

Post by Minidave »

All righty then, the first HPT event of the year! Lets hope we don't get rained out like last year....

Time to shake off the winter doldrums, get your MINI out , put your summer tires on and come to the track. This year the start times have been moved up to 12 pm for tech and check in, first cars on the track at 1 pm. This should easily give us time for up to 5 runs, although personally 4 is about enough for me, especially for the first event of the year.

For those who haven't done this before, this is not a timed event - it's not a race. It's a chance to take your car onto the track and learn about it's handling, braking and speed performance in a controlled and safe environment. They are fully manned with corner workers, EMT and support staff, as well as intructors for those in the Novice catagory. They hold a classroom session first, then your first run is done completely under yellow flag rules - no passing and controlled speeds - so you can learn the proper line, braking points and where to look for flagmen as you find your way around the track. The next runs will be done with an instructor aboard or driving behind one to again to learn the track and rules. By the end of the day you'll be lapping at speed, however you only drive as quickly as your skill and comfort levels allow. Repeat - it's not a timed event!

As you progress you can move into the intermediate class and start running with faster drivers and without an instructor sitting beside you or running directly in front of you on the track. However, I ran the first 4 events when I started in the Novice group, even tho I had previous track experinece. There is no hurry to move up, and you can learn plenty while enjoying your car at less than breakneck speeds!

When you're ready, move up to imtermediate and run as quickly as you're comfortable.

You will not tear up your tires or wear out your brakes, especially in the novice group, the focus is on learning and enjoying the car, not ultimate lap times. You also do not need special clothes, tires, suspension or brake pads, a stock MINI is quite fast! ( A stock Cooper S will hit well over 100 mph on the main straight - ask me how I know! :D ) You do need your car to be in good condition, with tread on the tires and good brake pads. Also, fill the tank up, you'll go thru a suprising amount of gas if you do all the sessions.

If you find you are grinding your tires off or smoking your brakes, you're doing it wrong, and need to spend some time with an instructor. Sometimes you go faster by slowing down....

Bottom line, it's just about the most thrilling, most fun thing you can do in your MINI with your clothes on, so plan to join us!

You do need a helmet, and a most motorcycle helmets do not qualify, as they are not fire rated. However you don't have to spend a lot for a helmet, they can be bought for as little as $125. Look around online or I can post some of the links to companys I use.

Bring your MINI and come out and play! If you don't have a MINI or want to bring your other car, you can - there's plenty of room on the track, but entry is limited to a total of 75 cars, so register soon as the Novice class tends to fill up quickly.

As usual, we'll meet in the Legends for lunch, then caravan up - or just meet us at the track. It's only about a 1 hour drive to get there. The entry gate is on the east side of the track, just follow the main road around till you see the gatehouse, that's where you'll check in and get your credentials. Don't worry, there will be plenty of us there to show you the ropes!

See you at the Legends, restaurant of choice TBA later.
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
sh944

Re: Heartland Park Touring Laps April 20, 2011

Post by sh944 »

Put me down on the "if I can" list. I will actually be spending the weekend before 4/20 at HPT running scrutineering for the PCA club race, so I might be short on the domestic credits needed to pull off one more day at the track. And now that my wife is monitoring this board as well (she's LMH), I probably just shot myself in the foot! lol

Seriously, if y'all have any interest in seeing what your MINI is really capable of, in a safe and controlled environment, you should really try to take in at least one of these events. Of course, if bit becomes a habit for you, don't blame us... :)

Regards, ...Scott
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Minidave, the Driver's Packet says that tech inspection is at 12:00 noon, mandatory driver's meeting at 12:30 p.m., mandatory novice driver's meeting at 12:45 p.m., and first car on the track at 1:00 p.m. Limit of approx. 75 drivers per event. They have added an extra class for Pro Racers so we will have more time between sessions (so probably only one or two extra sessions above last year) even though they will be starting 3.5 hrs earlier in the day.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks for clarifying that George.

Are you going?

I'm already registered....chances are they won't run as late into the day either.....may have to take a lunch rather than eat first.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Planning to sign up tomorrow!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I corrected the times in my first post. See you there!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Registered online today! So I'll be there at noon. :D
George

dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I'm very excited about 2011 Touring laps. I have a work conflict with the first one, on 4/20, but may consider signing up for a short day regardless.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Anyone else to join the three amigos at HPT?
George

boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

i am on vacation that week and I want to go. I have not purchased a helmet yet though. If I don't get around to purchase a helmet, I will still go and see what it is all about. :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Come by and see if mine will fit, if it does we can trade off if you run the novice class. But be apprised, I have a small head.....

Either that or go to Soloracer.com and pick one out and they'll send it to you in just a couple of days

This Pyrotech is on sale for $128. and it's got the right Snell rating.

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I"ve got an old Helicopter pilots helmet you can use :lol:
Totally kidding! It's the most uncomfortable helmet there ever was but it looks cool and the ladies love it :D
04042011652_1.jpg
04042011652_1.jpg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

The other problem I have are my tires. What is the minimum tread depth allowed? Mine are basically slicks. :ds:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yeah, I don't know how closely they'll check tread depth, but you don't want to have a problem at 100 mph going into turn one!

There's an inexpensive set of tires/wheels off a 2006 F/S right now, in the marketplace on this forum...

Also, there's this helmet....http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/ ... 0-obo.html

And an excellent deal on a Schroth harness too.... http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/ ... rness.html
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

OK, double checked the requirements....

Helmet can be SA or M, 2000 or newer, so an M2005 for instance will qualify, as will an SA2005 or SA 2010.

Tires must be 3/32" or more
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Y'all want to meet somewhere and caravan up to the track, or just meet there?

Gates open at noon, so we should be on the road by 11 sharp....

God I hope the weather co-operates, but right now they're calling for 40% chance of rain at the track on Wed! :roll:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'm game to meet up early and caravan to HPT. Basically taking entire day off. :)
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Legends then? It's a little early for lunch, but we'll be hungry well before the day's out. Maybe I'll bring a small cooler with some drinks and a sandwich for later.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Cooler w/drinks & sandwiches for later is good idea. I'm going to do that too. Do you want to just meet at Legends in Nebraska Furniture Mart Parking Lot across from new Soccer Stadium at 11:00 a.m.? Or do you want to meet earlier somewhere for brunch?
George

boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

I would vote for a little earlier to meet at the Legends. There is road constuction on I-70 down to one lane at the first gas stop to Topeka. By the way, I am going. Helmet on the way. I can't wait. Looking forward to this. :ds:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

10 am then? Wouldn't hurt to get something in our stomachs before we leave for the track, even if only some doughnuts from KK or something from MickeyD's.

Glad you're going too, Boxer, excellent news!

What helmet did you get?
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

The helmet from Soloracer.com in white. I check with the owner of the helmet from motoringalliance.com and it was an extra large. Too big for my cranium. I order a large, hope if fits. By the way, what url is the sign up for the track.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Go to HPT.com, > events > 2011 events > road course > touring club......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Done. One more registered. :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Still time to sign up for next weeks Touring Club at Heartland Park, Topeka.

Also for anyone who would like to just come see what all the talk's about, it's free to spectate, and only takes an hour to get to the track. Meet us in the Legends for brunch and caravan up with your other MINIacs or PM me for how to get to the track and where to park and spectate from. Cars will be on track from 1pm.

As they say on the drag stip commercials...

BE There!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"