Getting the Jag Fired up Again!

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Getting the Jag Fired up Again!

Post by Minidave »

My car has been just sitting in the garage for about 10 years, it needs lots of stuff to get it going again, but this weekend I gathered up a lot the stuff needed and started in on her.

First was fresh oil and filter, it doesn't have that many miles on it, maybe 5K, but it was still black as coal. I also added the ZDP additive just for good measure.

Next was new plugs, but first a little Marvel Mystery oil down the plug holes. The guys who get old barn finds running again swear by the stuff for stuck rings or rust on the cylinder bores, I figured what can it hurt? I let the juice sit in it overnight, then the next morning I put it in gear and rolled it back and forth. It seemed to roll easily and didn't sound like there was rust on the bores. I cleaned up the mouse dropping and remains of the nuts they'd been eating from around the plugs and screwed in a new set of Champions.

Next was the fuel system. I knew the gas was pure varnish by the smell, so I unhooked the fuel line from the tank, disconnected the line at the fuel filter and ran a line from the pump intake into a 1 gal can of fresh gas. I then ran another line from the filter intake side into an empty 5 gallon can and turned on the key (Oh, fresh new battery too). Amazingly the pump ran! I let it thump away till I thought I had fresh clean gas going into the can. Then I cleaned the filter bowl and ran gas out till it looked clean too. Next was the carb bowls, they were surprisingly clean too, but I sprayed some carb cleaner in and blew them out a couple of times too.

Next the tank. When I did the rustoration many years ago I'd had the tank cleaned and sealed, but I feared there would be a lot of goo down in the bottom, and figured I'd wind up having to pull the tank, and I wasn't looking forward to it one bit. I pulled the inspection cover off and to my surprise, the tank was clean as a pin, and the sealer looked intact. I siphoned off the 4 or 5 gallons left into another can and put everything back in place. I poured 5 gals of fresh gas in the tank, and checked off another item on the list.

Just for grins I decided to pull the air cleaner cover off and sure enough, the critters had gotten in there too and made a nest. I cleaned out all the nesting materials and more nuts and that was good to go.

When I did the rustoration I also installed an electronic ignition, so I didn't have to worry about points.

So, fresh gas, new plugs, fresh oil and filter, new battery, carbs cleaned out - it should run, right?

I cranked it over and within a few turns it fired off, ran rough for a few seconds then smoothed out at 1500 rpm. However it doesn't run well. It seems to only really be hitting on three cyls, doesn't want to rev up willingly. One of my buds said nothing came out of the right exhaust pipe, so I wonder if the critters managed to plug up one side? It's been so long since I was under the car I can't remember if it has a crossover pipe or if the two sides are spearate all the way to the back of the car?

Just looked at my Bentley manual and I can see the sides are separate, so my theory might be valid.....I guess the next move is to remove the resonator and see what I can learn.

If I find something in there, that could explain why it didn't run right - the same as the old potato in the tail pipe - if not then I guess I'll head back into the dist and see if the advance is stuck.

I also have one other significant challenge, the clutch is stuck. The master and slave are fine, I expect the disc is either rusted to the flywheel or stuck on the input shaft. I really hope I can get it freed up without having to pull the engine!

If I get all that straightened out, I'll still have to buy some new tires, and I know I need an alignment too. A couple of the spokes are rusted so I should just buy some new wheels, but it all has to stop somewhere!

Tonight when I got home I decided to check out the exhaust pipe, so I grabbed my big flashlight, got down on one knee and peered into the right pipe.....

Son of a gun!

The right pipe is completely packed full of some kind of nesting material, it doesn't look like a mouse has been in there - there's no turds or urine stains, and the car is always in the garage so I doubt it's the work of a bird, which leave chipmunks or groundsquirrels. But how the heck did it get in there? The pipe's more than a foot off the ground!

I guess I'll get a coathanger and see if I can pull it out, then see if it runs correctly.

Wouldn't it be something if that's all that was bothering it?

Well, guess what?

This is what came out of the resonator, it was packed clear thru to the tailpipe!

This time when I fired it off, it revved like always, and ran sweet!

One step closed to being on the road again!

This is what came out of the resonator...

This is the back side of the resonator

Even the tail pipe was full!

Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Getting the Jag Fired up Again!

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Wow what a nest. Hope you can get it running good again. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Good going Dave--- dibs on the nuts
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Gee Dave, that's awfully nice of you to finally get that running so we can work on 2 MINI's in your garage on garage days instead of just one at a time :lol:
Joking aside, this is great news. I always like to see old cars running again.
Great work Dave!
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

PS: My classic is next. :P She needs some work. :( Headlights and turn signals aren't working.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Nice job Dave. I call shotgun first! :D
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Oh, you are so far down the "shotgun" list...... :mrgreen:

Remember, I've had this car for about 21 years now, so far my wife, son, daughter, son-in-law, all 7 grandkids and 2 of my best friends at least are in line ahead of you! :roll: :lol:

Maybe I should post a sign-up list? :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Put me down for 15th in line :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hey, you count pretty well for an old guy! :mrgreen:

So Davester, who's a good shop to take some wire wheels to for mount and balance? I'm thinking of getting some new Dayton wires for the Jag along with the new tires, and they tell me it's easy to screw the wheels up if you don't know what you're doing and get them out of true.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Talk to Chad Derth at "KC Trends". He is the owner and really knows his stuff. He is not cheap tho. He is usually at the Overland Park location (he has two). He also has the Road Force balancing system. They deal in all types and sizes of wheels and has all the correct tools to mount them ---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

KC Trends does all sorts of weird wheels so I wouldn't doubt they know how to do wire wheels.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

While online I ran across this link. It is of an original Mini restoration. Very cool. :indi:

I wanted to share it.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... -mini.html
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Fantastic, wonder what the budget was for that project?

Amazing what can be done when you have the talent and resources.... :)
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Good news!

Tonight in an unexpected fit of energy, I rolled the Jag out of the garage and gave it a good soapy bath......

Once that was done I was sort of at the point of no return, since with a stuck clutch I couldn't drive it back into the garage, and I sure as heck couldn't push it (even tho it actually weighs less than a MINI Cooper S!) so I let it roll back into the street, stuck it in first gear, pulled the choke on and cranked it over. It started easily and I was rolling. I accellerated in first gear, while holding the clutch pedal in and let off the gas. The clutch released with a bang, and worked smooth as could be from there on!

Except.............

As I drove up the hill I let off for the corner and there's this horrible noise from the diff! Now I know what the bang was, something in the diff broke.... :roll:
I drove the rest of the way around the block and anytime I let off the gas even a little I got this nasty howl from the back. So, it's back safely in the garage again, now "all" I have to do is pull the entire rear end assy out of the car, and remove the pumpkin. I was thinking about changing the ratio anyway - US Jags had a relatively short diff of 3:54 which results in 3K RPM at 70 mph, European cars came with a 3:07 for the higher road speeds they had even then and since it's basically a Dana 44 I can get parts for it. Probably about $500 and that much in labor....oh well. It's always sumthin with these old cars, isn't it?

Puts paid to the new wheels tho.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:Good news!

Tonight in an unexpected fit of energy, I rolled the Jag out of the garage and gave it a good soapy bath......
Dang -- such a nice night I almost drove by to see if you were working on it tonight. Went to KMart instead.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

See, you need to follow those instincts! I'd have been glad for the company, especially on Tues, Wed and Thursday evenings when my wife is at work.

I really will need help wrestling the rear assy out of the car when I go to do it. I'm going to have a good look around under there first and make sure that's what it is, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Say Dave, if you need more help, just send a PM and I will see if I am available. Be glad to help.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:See, you need to follow those instincts! I'd have been glad for the company, especially on Tues, Wed and Thursday evenings when my wife is at work.

I really will need help wrestling the rear assy out of the car when I go to do it. I'm going to have a good look around under there first and make sure that's what it is, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Sent you a PM.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

Dave, can you put me somewhere on the list of copilots when you get her running? Never been in a Jag.
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I don't know how much I can help, but I'm sure I could do something. Just let us know when you plan on working on the Jag. After all, you have provided help with everyone's cars -- it's your turn for the group to help. Besides, you have good donuts :D

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

IowaM1n1, I got your PM and thanks, I can definitely use your help...Davester, Boxer and all of y'all, thanks! Now all we need is some co-operative weather!

It's not going to take that long, and there's only so much room under the car! :mrgreen:

I appreciate all the offers of help, shows what this club is all about.......

Here's what I need the most:

1) I have trouble being on my back so someone to do the "under" work, of which there's only a little - disconnect the drive shaft, em brake cable and brake line, and remove the two short exhaust pipes and resonators. Then unbolt the four mounts - that's all it takes to get it out of the car once it's up on stands.

2) Help rolling it out from under the car on the jacks and then getting it up on a bench to disassemble the carrier.

3) This may sound a bit odd, but what I REALLY need the most is a crew to give the car a good polish and a coat of wax on the exterior. I just don't have the stamina to get jobs like this done anymore, and I really don't trust the detail shops. (I did get it washed anyway, and it looks a ton better already!) But that can certainly wait till another time. Maybe we could do that on another MINI shop day?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

So when is it a good time. I can be the undercar guy. How about Sunday?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Sure, after lunch OK?

Weather should co-operate tomorrow....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

OK, I will see you and Boxer tomorrow around 12:30 if that is OK. Who else will be there? :)

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Do you want the waxing to be perfect? LOL