Brakes! Git'cher Brakes here!

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Brakes! Git'cher Brakes here!

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:Well, since this is Kansas, anything can happen - but right now the long ranger says partly cloudy and 53*. Let's hope it holds, or even gets better!
Dang, the warm weather left the forecast on Saturday...

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 32.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.

...but we get a rebound on Sunday.

9am forecast on Saturday is 15F -- hope your garage has a good heater.

Anyway...better than the 2" of snow that Des Moines is going to get Friday.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

No garage heater per se, but I do have a couple of electrics I can pull out and plug in - they don't warm the garage, since the doors will be opened and closed several times moving cars in and out - but they'll warm the people anyway....

Newspaper this morning says high of 39 on Sat - not much better, but maybe a bit. We'll just have to work harder to keep warm I guess!

Anyone who can and wants to wait for warmer weather please let me know today or tomorrow.

Its always a crapshoot trying to work in the winter!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'll wait till it's a bit warmer. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Woud you all prefer to move this to sunday?

It's supposed to be a whole lot warmer on Sunday, 50*.....I'm good for either day.

Steffi, if we move it to Sunday you could come after lunch as we'll be doing brakes all morning anyway and there won't be a "stall" open till then.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I can't remember exactly but I think we've had a garage day at Dave's when it was cold before and it wasn't too bad.
I always say if you're cold then you aren't working hard enough :D

I'll tolerate the cold because I probably can't make it if we move to sunday :(
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Sorry, I can't make it Sunday either -- :(
If it still happens Sat., i'll be there
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Whats become of the "MEN" in KC??????? :wtf: It's not like we're gonna have 3' of snow!!
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
eronning
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by eronning »

OK, I'm on point for doughnuts....and strong coffee.
Trash trucks always have the right-of-way.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

OK, Saturday it is!

See you all then!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'll be there at 9:00 am Saturday.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
bradg33

Post by bradg33 »

Has anyone done a coolant expansion tank and thermostat housing on an R53? I've got a coolant leak and if I can locate the parts for pickup tomorrow at prices that aren't insane I'd like to replace both of those parts and the thermostat. I'm going to call Baron first thing in the morning; if they've got the parts at prices I'm willing to pay, think we can squeeze that job in?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Get the parts, if we can we will.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

I'll going to bail of this one, guys. As I write this it's 16 degrees out. Also my youngest kiddo is sick and blowing chunks (saved by the barf). I don't want to spread the germs. I definitely want to have another garage day to have help putting on my hitch. Stay warm you brave souls.

Max
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Great time and thanks for the help everyone, especially Minidave and Clint, my main wrench! Brakes work great. Ready for Touring Laps at HPT again! :twisted:
Last edited by Hagar46 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, another long but successful day at MINI-Daves MINI-garage!

We started off the day working on Hagar's rear brakes - he and minicoopers43 (Clint) jumped in and had them going back together in no time. The only hitch they had was getting the left rear caliper piston to rethread onto the park brake shaft, once Clint got it to start the rest went smoothly. George's co-pilot Taffy decided to watch from the safety and comfort of the passenger front seat, but gave a wag of her tail and a head to pet anytime it was offered! :D

At the same time Boxer and eronning got his car up on all 4 stands and started on a full brake job - all 4 corners. All went acording to plan and we even got to try Hagar's club contribution of the power bleeder to change his brake fluid. It worked a treat and eronning drove out with solid MINI brakes again. BTW, he bought his pads and rotors from Baron at a very competetive price, so you don't have to go aftermarket to save money on brakes for your MINI. $430 included new rotors, pads, sensors, torx screws - pretty much a complete kit and a good deal!

Fortunately Dimini brought his jack too, cause it turned out we needed it later in the day. He also lent a hand on eronning's brake job......

Davester crusied by and lent a hand on eronning's front brakes, and Bluegoose came in with an extra jack just when we needed it.....Iowa MINI came by and lent a hand too!

Chris and Marcus came in planning to just watch and learn, but we wound up going ahead with Marcus' pulley install - the first one we've done....found out the pulley tool we have just isn't the best, so I'm going to invest in one of the newer style tools from CravenSpeed. We also changed his plugs, installed the safety strap kit on his tensioner and a new belt and his car ran like new, with a little extra oomph above 4K!

Counterfit MINI came by after lunch and we changed her oil and rotated her tires, so now she's ready for winter and another 10K miles.

We went down to Jack Stack for lunch, had a great meal and lots of fun conversation, a great time was had by all!

We wil schedule another shop day for MiniMax's hitch install, and I think someone mentioned yet another pulley install.

Later in the day we heard from Bradg33, his water pump died and fortunately he had a friend with a garage. They came by to get the Bentley manual and the serpentine belt tool and a couple of torque sockets they didn't have and got his car torn down today, with any luck he'll be back up and running again tomorrow. He said he'll do his brakes another time....

It was bitterly cold out today, but somehow with all the folks in the garage, work going on and a heater, it wasn't bad at all in the shop, but we'll try and schedule the next one on a warmer day.

Thanks to everyone who came and helped out, and a special thanks to eronning for bringing plenty of coffe and donuts from the Dunkin, kept everyone's sugar levels nice and high to ward off the cold, it's a great community of MINI owners we have here!

Go here to see some pics of the action! http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/79952283505/
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Thanks for the help with the oil change and tire rotation everyone! :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Goodness, y'all accomplished a lot!

That pulley tool you mentioned, Minidave, is that something the club could buy? I believe there are funds available and if it would be beneficial to our members, I vote we add it to the collection. :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, actually, the club did buy the one we have, on my recomendation.....and it sucks!

So I thought I'd buy the replacement.....having done one now, it's obvious there are better tools available that maybe weren't when I (we) bought the one we have now.

The one I'm going to get is the one that Way uses - from Craven Speed - and a couple of people who bought their pulley kit from Way have used it and it works....although it's a bit more expensive ($70 vs $50) than the Alta we got before it's much simpler and easier to use.

Appreciate the offer!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
UltraQuik

Post by UltraQuik »

Had a great time today guys. Great meeting you all.
eronning
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by eronning »

Ok, I can testify to the complete awesomeness of Garage Day. I had two experienced members (Boxer and Davester) helping me, and I ended up with perfectly mounted rotors, pads, and sensors. On top of that, we bled the brakes, so I have fresh fluid too. As I drove home I thought about how many hours of head scratching you saved me. Thanks for "The Knowledge".

Count me in on the next garage day...
Trash trucks always have the right-of-way.
kindofblue

Post by kindofblue »

"May friendships, like wine, improve as time advances..."

To my mind this was the song of the garage day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTusMLs9 ... re=related

Thanks to you gentlemen for your time and help! I would have posted last night but I was too busy driving... :mrgreen: I didn't want to make too big of a deal out of it but today is my birthday and I can't think of a better way to have wrapped up my 25th year, the year I became a MINI owner!

Really big shout out to minidave, Boxer, and IowaM1N1 for their wise counsel and "calibrated elbows," especially towards the end of the day with the spark plugs when everyone was ready to go home and warm up.

Special thanks to minicoopers43 for his infinite reserve of patience and for not laughing at the umpteen million silly questions I asked and/or my apparent need to do everything the most difficult way possible. I will say I could have done without the new diagnosis of power steering leak... :lol:

Dave, you were an excellent host and I hope we didn't disturb your wife--or the organization of your tool library!--too much. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and I hope to see everyone again soon!
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

What a great day -- can't believe many of us spent over 8 hours together, and we all got along splendidly.

It is great to watch and learn, and the camaraderie was truly enjoyable. We need to do this more often.

I was happy to meet UltraQuik and to learn he is in electronics sales at Sears and 95th & Metcalf. He is very knowledgeable about televisions (which is a huge challenge in this day and age). I picked his brain for a while and ended up buying a TV last night from him!

If you have questions about current TV technology, what brands to look at (and especially to avoid), Chris is a great resource.

By the way, here is how to fit a boxed 42" flat screen in the back of your MINI R50/R53. I'm sure there is a better way, but here is how I made it work. I had to slide the driver's seat up to just shy of unbearably uncomfortable to get it to clear, and the passenger seat was in full forward mode. I think there might have been a way to get it set up on an angle that could work better. But it worked.
IMG_2012sm.jpg
IMG_2012sm.jpg (72.84 KiB) Viewed 15157 times
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Another excellent Garage day!

Thanks a bunch to MiniDave for once again offering the use of his garage and tools.

I agree on the cravenspeed puller it looks much easier to use and maybe my mini can be the first trial with it.
Since driving Marcus' Mini after putting on the 17% pulley I am definitely buying one first chance the funds come in! :)

Here are a few more picshttp://www.minigallery.captaindub.com/i ... Garage-Day
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
bradg33

Post by bradg33 »

Got my water pump changed out. One hell of a job, but it's done.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Let's not forget the keg of hot coffee and donuts! Wow... I've never seen take-out coffee "kegs". NICE.
Being the Event CDI (chief donut inspector) I can attest that the chocolate coated, cream-filled donuts were just shy of remarkable. In the grand scheme of things, this was a great garage day!
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up