Brakes! Git'cher Brakes here!

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Brakes! Git'cher Brakes here!

Post by Minidave »

We're planning another garage day at MiniDave's MINI-Garage, and this time we're doing brakes......

Hagar needs some new rear brakes on his R50, so if you need yours done why don't you plan to meet us?

Date: Saturday, Jan 21, 9 am
Where: MiniDave's MINI-garage.....PM if you need directions
Phone: 913-648-6339

I'll be due for an oil change and tire rotation on my Clubby, so I'm penciling that in as well.

Maybe we can talk Davester into rolling by in Duece ....

Hope for a continuation of this unseasonably mild winter, my garage isn't really heated either!

Let me know who's coming in this thread, please.

MiniDave (host).................................Oil Change and tire rotation and general tool support
Hagar.............................................Rear Brakes
eronning..........................................Brakes - all around
bradg33...........................................brakes, hand lender, thermostat
Davester (weather permitting)...............Visitor from the North :mrgreen:
Blugoose..........................................Man Up-er :mrgreen:
Boxer.............................................Trailing Arm bushings
Dimini ............................................Donut tester, hand lender :mrgreen:
Counterfit MINI..................................Oil Change and Tire rotation
minicoopers43...................................Hand and wrench lender :mrgreen:
MiniMax...........................................Gettin' hitched
IowaM1N1.........................................Cruzin by :mrgreen:
Kindofblue........................................Pulley - if time
Last edited by Minidave on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Brakes! Git'cher Brakes here!

Post by davester »

I will be there unless---- it is snowing, sleeting, cold raining, 10*, cloudy with chance of rain/snow. Other than that, I will be there. :-D
Anybody know how to hardwire a radar detector? Marcos from Baron said to use pins # 1 & 5 on the OBD but don't know what kind of pins to use or trying to get to the wires--brown for ground and green for switched on/off.
Update on hardwire --- All done with installation of V-1 :D
Last edited by davester on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Likewise, I'll be there. Excited to see "Deuce" also!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

I'll do my best to be there. I have a small install to do. Nothing pressing. Just some powerflex inserts for the rear trailing arms. Brakes come first, we'll see how the day goes. :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

davester wrote: Anybody know how to hardwire a radar detector? Marcos from Baron said to use pins # 1 & 5 on the OBD buy don't know what kind of pins to use or trying to get to the wires--brown for ground and green for switched on/off.
We should be able to figure that out with a test light, once you know which wires, it's just a matter of splicing it in....do you want it to go on and off with the ignition or be on always?

For me the toughest part is getting my fat butt under the dash far enough to work on something! :roll: :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'm pretty sure I need an oil change and tire rotation. Can't remember when the tires were rotated and the car tells me I have about 6,000 miles till my next oil change.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Shall I put you down as attending then?

If so, pick up your oil and filter at Baron and we'll see you there!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:Shall I put you down as attending then?

If so, pick up your oil and filter at Baron and we'll see you there!
Yep. :) First time working on my MINI myself.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I"ll be there to help.
My MINI doesn't need any attention this time.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
bradg33

Post by bradg33 »

I might try to get some pads before then and join to do mine. Otherwise, I might just stop by and lend a hand/supervise.
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

I think my brake pads are Ok but I am getting a hitch for my birthday and was wondering if any of you would help me install it. I read that someone did an install before and it went well. Let me know if anyone would be willing to help and I'll show and bring beer.

Max
MiniMax

PS. I will need directions. Thx.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I'm not exactly sure of my schedule that weekend, but if I'm around I'll be there.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Max, we may have to save your hitch install for another day, we're getting a bit full.....and I have no idea how long it might take to complete it. Which hitch brand did you get?

What say you come anyway, and we'll see how the day goes, if it looks like we've got plenty of time we'll jump on it.....if the weather's nice enough we could do it outside.

Iowa MINI, we'll see you if/when you get there!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I'll need directions. It's been too long since I've been to your house.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

Minidave wrote:
davester wrote: Anybody know how to hardwire a radar detector? Marcos from Baron said to use pins # 1 & 5 on the OBD buy don't know what kind of pins to use or trying to get to the wires--brown for ground and green for switched on/off.
We should be able to figure that out with a test light, once you know which wires, it's just a matter of splicing it in....do you want it to go on and off with the ignition or be on always?

For me the toughest part is getting my fat butt under the dash far enough to work on something! :roll: :lol:
I just picked up an "Add a fuse" kit from O'Reilly's. It allows you pull an existing fuse and add a second circuit with its own fuse, all plugs and jacks, no splices to come apart. Well worth the $4. From there it was an easy run up the A Pillar and across the headliner. i can check which fuse I used. Has been working fine for about 4 months.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

imabyter wrote:
Minidave wrote:

I just picked up an "Add a fuse" kit from O'Reilly's. It allows you pull an existing fuse and add a second circuit with its own fuse, all plugs and jacks, no splices to come apart. Well worth the $4. From there it was an easy run up the A Pillar and across the headliner. i can check which fuse I used. Has been working fine for about 4 months.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I used the PDC fuse #32 and the ground attached to the right of the open glove compartment on a torx screw. I ran the wire the same as you.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

MiniMax--I've got a MiniDoMore hitch on my car. MiniX2 installed it in an easy afternoon. I think he posted pics of what he did somewhere on the forum.

We've got another new member lurking out there who is wanting to put a hitch on her MINI soon, too. Maybe we should have a "Gettin' Hitched" garage day. :) I'd like to wire a switch to my PDC some day soon, too. Maybe another garage day in early Spring?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

I was looking at the MDM hitch but my wife got the Curt one instead (she saw that it was cheaper). Sounds like the party's getting full. I saw the write up on the hitch install but I'm a little timid to do it myself. It's funny, I fix kids for a living but I'm a little nervous about working on my car. I can wait to put it on, but I may still come to the garage day to learn some stuff. I do need an oil change as well, so maybe I can accomplish that small feat.

Max
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Max, I installed a MiniFini Sportlink hitch on my car so you can pick my brain. Mine was a bit more complicated since I had to remove the rear bumper assembly and drill holes in my bumper cover.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

minicoopers43 wrote:I"ll be there to help.
My MINI doesn't need any attention this time.

@minicoopers43 - Is that possible? :mrgreen:

I'm glad you finally got it sorted, now it's time to just enjoy it for a while!

@Davester - Great, glad you got it installed, are you stil planning to come by - weather permitting? or will we see you another time?

@Max, I hope we do get to your hitch, I've been wanting to install one on my Clubby since I bought it......it would be good to get some experience on them.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yes, weather permitting :lol:

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, since this is Kansas, anything can happen - but right now the long ranger says partly cloudy and 53*. Let's hope it holds, or even gets better!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Ditto on hoping for good weather. It was 75 in Houston today. Made it back to KC from Highlands TX in 13 hrs.
George

eronning
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by eronning »

I'm in, thanks for doing this. Brake pads and rotors, front and rear.
Trash trucks always have the right-of-way.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

New guy brings the Krispy Kremes!

An assortment would be nice..... 8) :D

I don't want to jinx it, considering we may have snow in the middle of the week, but right now they're calling for almost 60* on Sat - Hagar you may have picked the perfect weekend!

One note, if the garage doors are closed due to weather, please come into the garage via the back door (around the right side of the house ,off the driveway), my wife works nights and while the doorbell doesn't wake her, the barking of the Mini-Poopers does!

If anyone else needs direction, please call or PM me......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"