Our Next Garage Day

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Our Next Garage Day

Post by Minidave »

Note: the garage day on Sat, March 24 will be at MiniDave's Minishop at 9 am!

While I'm perfectly happy to host our garage days and enjoy having everyone there, at times we've run into the limitations of my little garage/shop - low ceiling height, poles in the way, not much room to walk around the car, bad weather and so on.

There is a DIY facility in Olathe that is very reasonable, we can rent 2 post lifts or scissor type (for brake jobs, oil changes, pulley installs and even hitch installs) for very reasonable cost, and the shop provides all tools including air tools as well. The BMW club takes regular advantage of the shop and hold frequent club days there, and the owner will extend the same courtesies to us as he does to them.

So, what say we start a list of who needs what done and maybe pick a Saturday to have a shop day here?

Here's a link to his website so you can check out the place and equipment. He says he has 4 - 2 post lifts and 2 scissor lifts - the rate will depend on how many we need and how long we'll be there of course. I told him we'd be able to give him a couple weeks notice in advance....this would be a good time to get some summer driving oil changes and such done.

So, post up what work you'd like to do to your car, and lets get a shop day planned!

We could also make this a general training or tech session day too - all members are invited, even if you don't need work done.

http://www.diyautorepairkc.com/3.html

1 ) KGreen................Pulley
2 ) Hagar..................Assist as needed
3 ) Saturn.................Plugs, maybe more
4 ) Dimini.................Librarian and general donut tester
5 ) MiniDave..............Instructor, general assistance and light holder
6 ) GreyGuy...............Brake fluid flush
7 ) Davester...............Cheerleader and donut tester
8 ) Blue Lightning........Rear pads
9) Matti the Mini.........Pads, fluid flush
10) Mini Max..............Tire Rotation, hitch if time
11) Blue goose............Lunching @ Hooters
Last edited by Minidave on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 am, edited 26 times in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Our Next Garage Day

Post by kgreen66 »

I'm thinking about putting on a supercharger pulley. I've researched but would like to get the opinions of this forum. First, who recommends getting one? How would I know if I already have a performance pulley? What size is recommended? I do not mind getting my hands dirty but unfortunately I'm not very mechanical. I would love to participate in a garage day if my schedule allows. My weekends are crazy!
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I just purchased some used leather front seats to replace my worn out leatherette seats so I could use some help with the install. Don't think I would need a lift but I would particpate in a garage day. George
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Boxer, what about your rear control arm bushings?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Wow. So I've been looking at Pulley options. 15%, 16%, 17%. Packages with colder heat range plugs, tensioner stops and belts. :?

Can someone with experience tell me what are necessary or good additions to a 16% pulley? Have any particular brands proven themselves better? I certainly don't mind investing in plugs and such if they will counteract the extra-heat from the new pulley. There are so many opinions on NAM and there are some very knowledgeable experts right here. Any and all feedback welcome.

For the record: My 06 MCS has 57,000 miles. I declined the routine service Baron Mini recommended back before Christmas. I don't remember what all it entailed.
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Buy your pulley kit from Way Motor works, you'll get the right parts all packaged together. We did 3 of these over the last couple of garage days and they've all worked out well. I think he'll recommend the 16% as a good combination of performance and "reasonableness"...buy a few of the rivets that hold the fender liner in, you'll probably break a few and they're inexpensive.

We put a 16% pulley on minicoopers43's car, and it has 170K on it. He reports that it's amazing!

As to what service is due, look in your owner's/service manual, it will give a list of what needs to be done, but it's all pretty basic. Air filter, oil change, brake fluid replacement, cabin filter - if you're doing the pulley kit from Way it will have the plugs in it, clean your plug wire ends, especially at the coil end, check your motor mount and crank sensor to see if they're leaking, check your brakes, rotate your tires if you haven't been doing them regularly and so on....just common sense stuff. It also wouldn't hurt to take a good look at your lower control arm (rubber) bushings, they can crack and fail over time.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
saturn

Post by saturn »

Helloooooooooooooo Everyone!! Long time no see/hear!!! Might be interested in attending this myself but pinpointing exactly what I need may be a bit daunting as the list grows daily on what needs to be done. The good part is that I retired temporarily as a truckdriver and took over a instructor position at my company so I'm "NORMAL" again, well.............. you know what I mean!!!! LOL
Hey kgreen, nice to see you FINALLY decided to join here!!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hey Kevin, welcome back to "normality"!

Look forward to seeing you at our next event.....make a list and post it up, chances are good we'll be able to git'r done.

Within the club membership we have pretty deep experience at brake jobs, oil changes, pulley installs, tire rotation, fluid changes and serptentine belts, among other jobs. But we're not afraid to tackle anything, within reason.

We could also use this time to do the hitch installs that are waiting, towing season is pretty much here so it's time to get hitched! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Yes Sir Dave. I still want to install the rear bushings. Sign me up. :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I still need to swap my brake fluid and adjust my SC pulley to get rid of that awful noise!
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
GrayGuy
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by GrayGuy »

I need to flush brake fluid if there is time. Otherwise I can pass wrenches.
2005 S, Black on Dark Silver, Hood stripes, Rubber floor mats/winter package, CAI, 19% Pulley
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

saturn wrote:Helloooooooooooooo Everyone!! Long time no see/hear!!! Might be interested in attending this myself but pinpointing exactly what I need may be a bit daunting as the list grows daily on what needs to be done. The good part is that I retired temporarily as a truckdriver and took over a instructor position at my company so I'm "NORMAL" again, well.............. you know what I mean!!!! LOL
Hey kgreen, nice to see you FINALLY decided to join here!!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh! I've been here. Ima gonna have to smack you when I see you! I used to just admire the Minis from afar and think, "oh, those are really cool, wouldn't that be nice to have"? But, nooooo. You had to bring one to work and let me get all up close and personal. Now I'm reading about SC pulley's, Cold air intake, Sprint boosters, sway bars, tunes, magna exhaust, craventhis, craventhat, altathis, altathat... Obviously I don't need all that but me-thinks this pulley install is gonna be like my first hit of "modding". It's okay, I can quit anytime I want. :roll:

Anyhoo, Looking forward to meeting some of the other users...err I mean members.

EDIT: So I inquired at WayMotorWorks about the rivets and he simply replied, "You don't take the wheel well out to do a pulley". Can I can pick some of these up at Barons?
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, Baron has them and they're inexpensive....

Way is right, but we usually pull it back to get better access when putting the belt back on....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

GrayGuy wrote:I need to flush brake fluid if there is time. Otherwise I can pass wrenches.
There will be plenty of time, so plan on it. Using the pressure bleeder that Hagar generously donated to the club, this job is very easy and takes no time at all.

I'll put you on the list.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I'll be a cheerleader and donut taster :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Oh boy, I'll have my vid cam ready for that - Davester jumping up and down in a short skirt and sweater! :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Gimme an M!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I'll be there for moral support and an extra set of hands -- depending if the date works out for me and I'm not in Iowa or otherwise tied up.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

IowaM1N1 wrote:I'll be there for moral support and an extra set of hands -- depending if the date works out for me and I'm not in Iowa or otherwise tied up.
Whewwwww -- Kinky :lol:
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

IowaM1N1 wrote:I'll be there for moral support and an extra set of hands -- depending if the date works out for me and I'm not in Iowa or otherwise tied up.

Wow, now there's a definite maybe! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'm interested in just hanging out. I don't have anything that needs to be done (except the warranty recall on my water pump)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Minidave wrote:Yes, Baron has them and they're inexpensive....
I wouldn't count on that. They didn't have them last garage day, or was that something else maybe I can't remember.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:
Wow, now there's a definite maybe! :mrgreen:
More of a potential maybe. Depending. :-)
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Way is right, but we usually pull it back to get better access when putting the belt back on....
These?
Attachments
nmx8644a.jpg
nmx8644a.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 13054 times
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

yep, that be them

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

minicoopers43 wrote:
I wouldn't count on that. They didn't have them last garage day, or was that something else maybe I can't remember.
Yeah, o-rings or something silly!

I lost one of those blocks off my Clubby and bought a replacement - they indicated they kept them in stock because they sold a lot of them......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"