A/C Recharge

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
cyclone2002

A/C Recharge

Post by cyclone2002 »

I have a 2007 Mini that needs an A/C recharge but I can not find where the fill valve is located dose anyone know where it is located?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: A/C Recharge

Post by Minidave »

On my 2009, it's right near the dipstick, closer to the radiator - it has a black cap on it and runs straight down to the compressor.

Do you have gauges?

Overcharging one is harder on them than undercharging - it can kill an expensive compressor, without gauges you won't know where you're at.....

Why are you adding freon, did you do some work on the system? If you've had it open to the atmosphere you should change the receiver dryer, and evacuate the system down before recharging it.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
cyclone2002

Post by cyclone2002 »

yeah I have all the equipment need to do the work

thanks!
cyclone2002

Post by cyclone2002 »

the A/C is not producing cold air and I have only owned the car less than a year and I do not know the last time freon was add. so I was going to recharge it if works great if not I will call baron to have it checked out
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Should be no problem then, the gauges only go on one way - the high side port is over by the windshield washer bottle, on the right as you face the engine compartment. It also has a black cap......

I want to try some of the "Artic Freeze" stuff they sell at Wal mart , it supposedly was developed for the space program and really works better than 134a.

Unless something breaks, MINIs are not prone to losing their charge. I'd try to pull a vacuum on it first just to make sure the system's intact.
The other thing you can do of course is to add freon with dye to see if there's a slow leak somewhere......if the charge does get low the low pressure switch will not let the compressor engage.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)