June 24 SCCA Autocross

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

June 24 SCCA Autocross

Post by Zack »

Here are some pictures of some of the KCME members who participated.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: June 24 SCCA Autocross

Post by Minidave »

So, how did you all do?

Did that Justa spank everyone?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

I think everyone beat me that day. First time out in the JCW. My solution for the course was just to push harder on the gas pedal. While it was fun to hit 61.2MPH out there, it didn't really make for smooth driving. I am from the Jeremy Clarkson school of driving: MORE POWER!!!!!

Regardless of how I did, I am going to be out there for all the events from this point forward. Even signed up for the MiDiv in Topeka.

As of now I plan on going to the September HPT touring club event.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Time spent on any road course will help you go faster on either......

JC's driving style does leave alot to be desired, doesn't it? Although it's fun to watch him burn up tires................for a while.

Smooth is fast. Always.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Times (times to the right are pax, numbers to the left are the run times)(+1 etc. means how many cones hit and two seconds added for each cone.)

1T stf 4 Moylan, Paul 2003 Mini Cooper Red
65.266 63.558
63.896+1 -

1T ds 6 McWilliams, Tyler 2007 Mini Cooper S Blue
68.254 52.920
67.955 [-]2.589
65.765+1

6 dsp 168 Herrman, John 2012 Mini JCW Coupe Red
72.862 57.014
68.225 +0.614

1T smf 53 Ingalls, Zachary 2006 Mini Cooper S Pepper White 70.035+4 69.431
Take Command, LLC
70.035+4 69.431
67.914+1
67.431+1
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

See what I mean?

The car with the least HP, smallest brakes, smallest wheels, a 5 speed instead of a 6 speed gearbox set the fastest time of the MINIs.

Why?

Because in AutoX it's not about hp, it's about smoothness, precision and handling.

Years ago I used to AutoX in a Lotus 7, with a 55hp 1275cc Sprite motor in it. The only thing that ever beat me was another Lotus, a newer Elite, which had fully independent suspension compared to my live rear axle. And obviously, a better driver! :oops: :D

It's also why I'm consistantly faster than other cars at HTP in my down on HP, heavier, all season tired, automatic transmission Clubman.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Smooth and patient was what I was told makes for a fast driver. Notice I didn't say car. Much like learning to play a sport/game, practice, practice, practice.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, that and someone to teach you how to do that..... :D

there are some tricks and techniques, I wonder if there are any You Tube vids to teach them? There seem to be for just about everything else!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Some YouTube vids out there. Everyone over on MoKan forum are good about sharing their footage. I found a great book called Winning Autocross Techniques that has helped me understand some more about the basics. It even gives suggestions about how to 'practice' in every day driving. I'm forcing myself to use 9-3 on the wheel to get used to crossing arms during turns, trying to be more mindful of squeezing the peddles, etc.

Then at all the events I've signed up for I am running heat 1, and then trying to get rides with the other more experience Mini drivers in the other heats. Even started email conversations with them asking questions etc. Also have found events in Hutchison and Salina to crash for additional seat time. Finally saving up to do an Evolution school in Saline next spring.

My goal is to do at least 15 more events this year. Hopefully one will be HPT Touring.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The best way to get better is to just do it......tempered with good instructors, it doesn't help to practice doing it if you're doing it wrong! :D

I think you're on the right page, but remember that what works for one guy may not be the best for another, you have to develope your own "style".

Touring laps can be helpful because the speeds are so much higher, you have to get "faster" and look further ahead - you do the same at AutoX in a way, because the course is so much shorter it comes at you quickly. The other thing HPT will help teach is getting your eyes up, instead of looking directly in front of you - a key point to learn, and easier to do on the roadcourse.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Speaking of touring/track days, have you heard any rumors about Kansas Speedway doing those types of events once their new road course is done?
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I haven't heard that they've started building the roadcourse yet, but if they do I would think they would open it up to club events - I hope so anyway!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Car #4 is Paul Moylan, a long time auto-xer. So there is a lot of experience there plus his car is set up with coil-overs and camber plates. The low hp cars require you to be smoother to maintain the speed. No ponies to help make up for mistakes.
I don't understand who's teaching the 9-3 wheel position for cornering. Your arms will, only cross so far and then what? This is not even good for normal driving or on track.
Start in the 9-3 position. For right turn put the 3 hand on top of the 9 hand and use it to turn the wheel while the 9 hand is ready to hold the wheel as it turns thru your hand-
just in case you need to turn further. You should also not have your arms completely stretched out to reach the wheel. Be close enough to the steering wheel that 2-3 inches past your wrist rests on top of the steering wheel. And look ahead! If you are always looking down at cones as you pass by slow down and look ahead, your have faster times.
This is from my 20 + years of autocrossing and winning many class championships. I was the 2002 Mid-Div STX Champ.
Mr. F56
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Minidave wrote:I haven't heard that they've started building the roadcourse yet, but if they do I would think they would open it up to club events - I hope so anyway!
Yes, they have started construction on the road course. Afew months ago I contacted them to arrange a tour and was informed the entire facility is closed to tours pretty much through the end of the year. They are were on resurfacing the track and building the road course.
I would imagine they will have it open for clubs, etc. but that's only speculation.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Race
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Race »

Zack,

It was nice to meet you at the auto-x. Thanks for posting everything! It's fun to see everyone's pics and times all together.

My top five keys to auto x
1) Learn/Know the Course: You only get 3 or 4 runs so you don't have much opportunity for trial and error. When walking a course, look for the sections or individual cones that tend to "jump out at ya", or late apex turns that will scrub off speed if taken wrong. Do a course walk with an experienced driver sometime. It helps you see the course in a whole new light.
2) Good Tires: No matter what class you run, they will make the biggest single improvement in performance than any other modification.
3) Look Ahead: This is important for road, track, and auto x. We tend to focus on what is going on just in front of us. When you look down the road or autox course, everyhting tends to flow better and things do not seem as rushed.
4) Use a Tight Line: Get as close to the cones as possible without knocking them over. On big sweepers the tight line tends to be quicker than swinging out wide and carrying more speed. Always consider speed vs distance. Sometimes the shorter line at a lower speed is faster than faster speed but greater distance.
5) Smoothness: Be aggressive yet have smooth inputs. Try and reduce sliding the car as much as possible or "over cooking" corners. Generally speaking, that is a recipe for slow. However, there are times when a well executed four wheel drift or a flick out of the tail can be beneficial depending on the situation. Consider a full harness to hold you in place so you are not holding the wheel for support. I remember getting significantly faster in my old H Stock CRX when I put a harness belt and a MOMO steering wheel with a 3/4" spacer to bring it out closer to the driver. I was so much more relaxed and supported that I could focus on being smooth.

Hope this helps!
03 MINI Cooper, SS+, Koni Coilovers, Camber, 19mm Rr Bar, 225/45/15 BFG Rivals on 15x8 Rota RBs, GIAC, Custom K&N CAI, Magnaflow Header, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Corbeau Seat, MOMO wheel, G Force 5 pt harness.