Inspection 1 Advice?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
kindofblue

Inspection 1 Advice?

Post by kindofblue »

Hello, all! I've been enjoying my pulley greatly!

I had a question about inspection 1--my service reminder tells me that I have ~1000 mi remaining before service. I have approximately 23000 miles on my R53 so I figured that's Inspection 1 coming.

I feel fine changing my own oil. I feel less fine doing the inspection of everything else, especially since I think my car (which has very low miles for an 06) has been rather neglected.

From what I've read on here, it sounds like I should go to KC Autosport or Baron; I wondered if anyone had any advice on pricing before I call them and/or whether or not I should really just DIY the whole thing. I'm starting my residency soon and I won't have much time to get this service done, so I'd like to do it even before the reminder is ready.

PS: If I rotate my tires, I don't have to do an alignment, right? That's just for the first time they're mounted IIRC...

Thanks everyone! :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Inspection 1 Advice?

Post by Minidave »

An alignment has nothing to do with tire rotation, I rotate mine every 5K or so. You need an alignment if you see unusual wear or notice pulling, poor tracking etc. Front end shimmy is due to tire balance, not alignment......many people confuse that as well.

Look in your service manual and see what's done at the first service. IIRC it's not only "look at" everything, but also new brake fluid, new radiator fluid, oil change, cabin filter change, maybe an air filter, tire rotation and then a lot of "checks". If you car hasn't thrown any codes then you're good to go. They also take a good look at the brakes.....I see nothing here that you can't DIY.

You can call both Baron and Autosport and ask them what they charge and what it costs.....I use Isaac at Baron, he's a good guy.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kindofblue

Re: Inspection 1 Advice?

Post by kindofblue »

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave!