Newbie in St Joe! (New questions 3/23/13)

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Derek1387

Newbie in St Joe! (New questions 3/23/13)

Post by Derek1387 »

Hey guys-I just bought my first Mini. An Astro Black 2009 Mini Cooper. I have been jonesing for a Mini since I graduated high school....and now, 8 years later....

I had been eyeing it for quite some time. I actually test drove it two months ago at the dealership and they wanted $18k for it, which it does book for that, but was more than I wanted to spend, so I let it sit.

So I go to the dealership last weekend to actually buy a new truck. Well, finances didnt work out on a $40k truck. So as I was walking out, I see the Mini still sitting there. Walked back in, asked how much it was, they said 15.9, which i still didnt really want to pay for it. So, we started talking about used trucks, and we pulled up the inventory, and the first car listed, was the Mini, at $12k!

Yup, bought it on the spot.

Its Justa Mini, but i have big plans for it. I already did a rear seat delete, ordered HID's, NM torque Mount bushing, and a DDM CAI from WayMotorworks. Next thing will be a rear sway, and then some wheels and tires. Thinking of competing in the H Stock class.

My wife already wants to trade her new Sonic in for one of these...probably going to end up giving her mine, and getting an S, but I am very happy with how peppy the Justa has been!

I would love to meet up with you guys ome time, have some hangouts, garage days, etc. The only place I have to work on my car is in the street in front of my house. No garage or driveway.

I am coming from air bagged and body dropped mini trucks, so I know my way around a vehicle, just a little bit different with this caliber of a machine.

Again, cannot wait to meet you guys, and come down for some meets, and hang outs!
Last edited by Derek1387 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Newbie in St Joe!

Post by DA MINI »

Derek, welcome to the bright side! Watch the grassroots gatherings for when we are meeting up. If you intend to do H Stock read the rules ( SCCA.com ).
The CAI takes you out of stock class.
Mr. F56
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Yeh, I read the rule book yesterday. I will probably run the next class up then, because I want to have that sway bar and intake on for my daily driving/carving. I'm not worried about winning, just having fun and learning how to drive better.
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

I hear we get 10% off at Baron... is that correct? On parts too? I need to get me the JCW grill/fog light mount...
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, just tell them you're in the Club when you buy your parts....and welcome to the madness! :mrgreen:

Look under Grassroots gatherings, and announcements for upcoming events, there's a lot going on in the next few months!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Welcome to the group!

Nothing wrong with a 'justa'! We've had our R50 for almost 11 years now and still love it.

Hope to see you at some of our upcoming events!

-Greg
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Alright guys, i need some help. I want to break up the color a bit, and add a little bit of brightness to it.

Problem is, I cant figure out what to wrap/paint the hood with. And...the sunroof poses an issue. I cant find too many custom Astro Black mini's... just doesnt seem to have been a popular color (probably why it was discontinued in 2009)

I was thinking of wrapping/painting the roof in white, or a anthracite carbon fiber, or white carbon fiber. But, again, the sunroof would pretty much kill that idea. I have a place that will wrap the top and the mirror caps in the carbon fiber for $425, or in white for $335.

I need ideas people! Keep it one color? Or break it up?

And then I will be doing wheels after, and blacking out all the chrome. I just installed my DDM intake (WOW), seafoamed the car....and got my NM Torque mount bushing, waiting to be installed. And I will be ordering a sway bar sometime next week. Just need a garage day or go rent a bay at DIY to do this!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

contact Todd. He does all the vinyls and wraps for Baron Mini.

toddsmods.com
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You want a pop of color, but you're taking away all the brightwork?

Cabon fiber look won't add any color, will it?

White's been done plenty, how about something different? What difference does the sunroof make? You're mostly going to see the sides anyway....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Thats why im looking for ideas. I dont like all the chrome... but it could go to a different color. Any ideas would be awesome. I cant find too much on cars my color, so its kinda hard.

I will try contacting Todd and see what he thinks!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I like the lime green/ black color combo but that's just me......
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The problem with the lime green (to me) is that Astro black is just slightly blue, isn't it?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

I would almost consider the color midnight blue.
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

How about a red roof and red strips on the bonnet and boot? Red mirror caps also.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Another thing I am considering, is doing the suspension stuff first, then saving and buying wheels.

Is changing the suspension on these cars really worth it for daily driving and having fun? Like, would adding the sway and low ring springs be worthwhile?
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Derek1387 wrote:Another thing I am considering, is doing the suspension stuff first, then saving and buying wheels.

Is changing the suspension on these cars really worth it for daily driving and having fun? Like, would adding the sway and low ring springs be worthwhile?
I have found that they are low enough to the ground already. Also any lower and you're in trouble with snow and pot holes.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Derek1387 wrote:Another thing I am considering, is doing the suspension stuff first, then saving and buying wheels.

MINI's handle really well without having to lower them. But lowering it does look good ;) and from what I've heard it helps the handling more. But it is a pain to drive with a really low car, especially around speed bumps and potholes and what not. I had an xB that was 2.75" off the ground. Working on it sucks too because you can't get a normal jack under the car...
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:

MINI's handle really well without having to lower them. But lowering it does look good ;) and from what I've heard it helps the handling more. But it is a pain to drive with a really low car, especially around speed bumps and potholes and what not. I had an xB that was 2.75" off the ground. Working on it sucks too because you can't get a normal jack under the car...

Yeah. I used to drive bagged trucks so I know the feeling... These are sky high compared to the two I was driving.

So, bought my wheels today.

Bought a set of Enkei EV5's
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Now I need to find tires. Can't decide on a size though. Looking at either 205 or 215/45/17.

Thoughts?
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Go with 215/45/17 Dunlop Signature SP's. fantastic tires and a wider track than the standard size.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I like those Enkie's, good looking wheels....did you get the lug bolts too? My ARA's used a similar bolt, they took a 12mm allen socket, so you may have to buy one of those.

A rear sway bar can help make the car rotate better in a corner, and they're not expensive. The better ones come with three adjusting holes so you can fine tune how it handles, it really made a difference on my car coming out of slow turns on Heartland Park's road course. My car would just spin the inside front tire, after setting the bar correctly it would just pull.

Ask Zack what happens when you set it too stiff on an autocross course! :D

Lowering a MINI sometimes causes axle and vibration problems.

I run the 215/45-17's, brand is subjective and depends on what you're after - ultimate summer grip or year round use.
Go to TireRack.com , you can spend days looking at different compounds and comparing prices.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

If you're wondering what happens with the sway set to stiff, lets just say...I've been around...and around...and around...
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

Lol... So don't run the sway bar too stiff. Got it.

No, didn't get lug bolts with it, but my factory bolts fit it just fine. I may get a set of aftermarket when I can, but just trying to get them on for now.

Ended up ordering some Hankook Ventes V12 evos from a local shop for $520 installed. Should be here Monday.

Then I need to get the sway. Then just play with it!

Amd possibly get my double din and amp and a sub installed
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Derek1387 wrote:Lol... So don't run the sway bar too stiff. Got it.

No, didn't get lug bolts with it, but my factory bolts fit it just fine. I may get a set of aftermarket when I can, but just trying to get them on for now.

Ended up ordering some Hankook Ventes V12 evos from a local shop for $520 installed. Should be here Monday.

Then I need to get the sway. Then just play with it!

Amd possibly get my double din and amp and a sub installed
All that stereo stuff adds weight. Be careful there. Especially since you're doing performance upgrades.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S