need advice.

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
bryanmeisberger

need advice.

Post by bryanmeisberger »

I'm looking at buying a 08/09 clubman s and reading reviews on mini fourums is trying to scare me away. But I keep coming back to wanting one anyway. Can anyone tell me truthfully what to look for as far as reliability, issues to expect. I do plan on using as a daily driver.
Derek1387

Re: need advice.

Post by Derek1387 »

Well, best bet is to take one you are considering purchasing to a Mini mechanic and having them check it out. Things you need to watch out for is carbon buildup and just make sure it didn't have the piss ran out of it.

They are very reliable cars. Made by BMW so you know it's going to run well if you do your part of the job to it.

I bought a Justa. And could be happier
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I would buy the newest, nicest, lowest mile car your budget will allow, and if possible consider a new one.....

That said, my '09 with 46K just went out of warrantly and has had very very few things done to it so far, it's been dead reliable too.

But I agree with Derek, have it checked out at Baron, then you'll have a good shot at knowing how the car really is.

It will need the carbon cleaned off the intake valves sometime around 50K, mine needs it now. You can DIY it if you have the skilz and the tools (I made my own carbon blaster for example) otherwise it's a $400 - $700 job.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I've got 65,000 on my 09 Cooper S and I really haven't had any major problems. I change the oil about every 8.000 miles and I just recently replace the oil line to the turbo to a better one but other than that he treats me good. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

+1 on Dave's advice on buying the newest, nicest, lowest mileage car you can afford.

I bought a higher mileage '04 MCS a couple years ago, and, while I loved it dearly, the maintenance and repair costs were much more than I really expected -- and we've owned my wife's MINI since April '02, so I wasn't a MINI rookie. The costs were enough that I would have been money ahead on buying a newer car with much lower mileage. Actually I think going new would have even been a better deal in the long run.

But then, that was a 1st gen car. 2nd gen cars are different.

Still, Dave's advice is solid. Don't think you are doing yourself a favor by buying a $2,000 cheaper car than has an extra 30-50,000 miles on it. You aren't. That $2k can get chewed up in a really big hurry.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
bryanmeisberger

Post by bryanmeisberger »

Its a 08 with 60,000. And its about ten thousand less than a new one....new clutch and good service records.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, take it to Baron and have them check it for you, then you'll know what you're getting, and if it needs work you can use the cost of the work as a bargaining chip. Good luck!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Have the dealer pull a carfax on it.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.