Rear Sway Bar... worth it?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Derek1387

Rear Sway Bar... worth it?

Post by Derek1387 »

So-the mini is the first car that I have ever had that was designed for handling, or speed. Everything else has been a truck or mini truck, designed for low and slow.

I already think my Mini since the wheels and tires have gone on handles likes it on rails. Like, I dont see how it could be better (handling newb here...remember)

Is it really worth it to get an upgraded rear sway bar? I am trying to budget out a few things. Like window tint, some paint work, etc. And the sway bar is just lingering there.... not knowing if i should make it a top priority or not.

Thanks guys
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Rear Sway Bar... worth it?

Post by Minidave »

Like many things.......it depends....

Do you intend to autocross it?

Then yes, it will help get the car to rotate better.

Do you intend to run it on the road course with us at Heartland Park?

The yes, it will help get the power down coming out of low speed corners.

Do you intend to just drive it like a little ol lady and as a daily?

The no, you can live without it.

Are you an agressive driver, ready to attack the twistys at the Dragon or in the Missouri hills?

The yes, it will help keep the car planted.

See what I mean?

it's one of those things that you can do any time tho, learn how to use the car as it is, then make changes as they will benefit you, not just because "everyone says you need to do this"

On my Clubby I found it really helped to keep the inside front tire from spinning so much coming out of slow corners at HPT, but for normal street driving, I had to set it back as soft as it would go again, it made daily driving just too harsh.

BTW, did you buy that car local? We had a member with an astro black Justa, young guy named Cory......haven't heard from him in a while......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

I bought it from a dealership, but the car is from Georgia.

I don't think I will autocross, but I think the road course may be fun. I'm just a little set back and how much power I lost when I put the 17s on, so that's a concern as well. But other then that. I am on it any chance I get.

So, swaybar really does sound like something to do, as well as getting my torque mount put in.

Makes me sad it's a Justa and auto
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Derek1387 wrote:I bought it from a dealership, but the car is from Georgia.

I don't think I will autocross, but I think the road course may be fun. I'm just a little set back and how much power I lost when I put the 17s on, so that's a concern as well. But other then that. I am on it any chance I get.

So, swaybar really does sound like something to do, as well as getting my torque mount put in.

Makes me sad it's a Justa and auto
Shouldn't have too much power loss going to 17s. If they weigh less than your stock wheels.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Derek1387

Post by Derek1387 »

They don't. Stockers with tires weighed in at 29lbs. These are almost 40.
s1-
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by s1- »

In my opinion you will not notice anything unless you are racing it or driving like a bat out of hell to get somewhere on time. It is one of the better cost effective ways to increase your handling for sure. I'm not sure what the dimensions are on the front and rear sway bars for a Justa, but I have a front and rear stock sway bar from a Cooper S that is 17mm (if I remember correctly). Long story short I miss read a posting for the sway bars and ended up with what I already have, so now I have the extra set. If they are thicker than what you have and you don't want to spend a $300 on racing ones let me know. They are just collecting dust. :)