Classic Mini Engine Rebuild

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Classic Mini Engine Rebuild

Post by Minidave »

Watch this spot for details, coming soon!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Mini Engine Rebuild

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Watching :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Step 1 is to get it mounted on my engine stand so I can turn it upside down to work on the crank and bearings later. Bottom end looks pretty clean, but I won't know what kind of condition it's in till I disassemble it and start mic'ing things out.
Attachments
IMG_2068R.jpg
IMG_2068R.jpg (123.04 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
IMG_2064R.jpg
IMG_2064R.jpg (124.01 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Sorry Dave, but whose engine is this and what is it out of? But it is fun watching...
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't know what it's out of for sure, it's a classic Mini 998 engine, I can tell you that much. It belongs to my friend down in Steelvile and it's going into his Moke that we worked on while we were down there last week.

Here's the link to that thread, although I have more pics and vids to upload to it yet....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2948&p=27374&hilit= ... run#p27374
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So today was the day, I got the little engine that could all torn down, still have to go thru and mic everything but a few things were painfully obvious......first of all, I knew someone had worked on it because of the blue RTV all over it, I could also see the tabs on the con rods and mains had been bent over more than once - you're supposed to replace them.....and the head studs all (but one) came out with just my fingers.

I pulled the head off first, it looks like it's in really good shape, although there was the normal wear on the ends of the rocker arms and bottoms of the lifters. The cam looks great, tho the cam bearings look knackered - I'll have to do some careful measuring and make sure the lobes aren't worn and the bearing surfaces look correct. It definitely hasn't had hardened seats put in, that will have to happen for it to live on unleaded gas.

Then I turned it over to take a look at the crank end of things. Before I did I took a close look at the cylinder bores, there was no ridge worn at the top, but you could see the hone marks in the bores, and they were not done correctly - the cross hatching should be at about a 45* angle, this is more like 15* or less.

I took all the rod caps loose and pushed the pistons out of the bores, marking everything as I went along. The rods show evidence of someone taking material off (I suppose to balance the assy) but it's so crudely done it makes me wonder - it's not the kind of job I've ever seen out of a professional shop. Everything was looking OK till I got to con rod #4..........oh my. You can see the copper backing material showing thru the grey bearing metal - not a good sign. I also saw where bits of the bearing had melted onto the crank journal - it may be saveable, but I don't know if we should fix this one or the one that actually came from the car. I'll talk it over with the owner before we go much further. tomorrow I'll mic everything and see whether the crank's been turned undersize or the cylinders have been bored oversize already, then we'll know more.
Attachments
IMG_2071R.jpg
IMG_2071R.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
IMG_2073R.jpg
IMG_2073R.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
IMG_2075R.jpg
IMG_2075R.jpg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
IMG_2078R.jpg
IMG_2078R.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
IMG_2082R.jpg
IMG_2082R.jpg (100.21 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I mic'd everything out and found someinteresting things.....

Cylinders are standard bore so no issue there, but the last person that worked on it did not check the ring end gap, and that put huge gouges into the #1 cylinder. We can bore it out, but if it doesn't clean up at the largest overbore size, we'll have to sleeve it.

I also found the crank has been ground, it's already 40 under on the mains and 30 under on the rods, those are pretty far down, it might not be feasible to take it any further. At that point the choices are to weld it up and machine it back to standard or replace the crank.

this motor can be saved, it's just going to take a little extra work and of course $$$$$$$.....

I'm going to visit a couple of machine shops on Monday and see what they think the costs will come to, then he can make some decisions.
Attachments
IMG_2084R.jpg
IMG_2084R.jpg (74.4 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
IMG_2083R.jpg
IMG_2083R.jpg (85.15 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Spent some time down at the ol machine shop today, and as expected, everything is fixable with a suitable application of funds. Actually, the numbers we were discussing were not bad.

I sent the info off to the owner in an email and we'll see what he wants to do.

One thing I did figure out, I know how cylinder #1 got damaged. In the attached pic you can see (barely) that they didn't put the circlips back in the pin bush, the pin is a free floating design and with no retainer it could just slide out of the pin boss till it rubbed against the cylinder walls. Just bad mechanican'.....
Attachments
IMG_2086R.jpg
IMG_2086R.jpg (95.6 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, turns out we're not going to overhaul this one, the owner found a deal on a good used motor so he's going to go that way.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I'm thinking you should hold on to this engine, Dave. We've got an old Italian bumper car that needs some go... :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, unfortunately it doesn't belong to me, although he might sell it. But considering how much money it would take to put it right, I'm not sure it's the right way to go on the bumper car. Actually, John and I were talking about making the b-car electric. Failing that a scooter engine/trans would be a simple and relatively inexpensive way to make it motor.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
gasmini03
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gasmini03 »

Dave,
Now that you have that one taken apart do you have a picture of what the rod bearings looks like so I might have some idea of what I'm up against?
Do you think your shop day could handle an engine swap? :)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm not too sure what you're asking me, Gasmini......there is a pic of the rod bearings on this engine above in my 3rd post....I'm not sure what your rod bearing is going to look like, but just from the sound of it and the description you gave me (in the car) of what it did, I think you spun a bearing. If so you'll need to repair the crankshaft too, just like in this engine (however, this engine did not spin a bearing, it just wore one out - badly) If you look closely at the bearing in the rod #4 you can see that enough material has been melted and moved around the bearing shell that it's almost blocked the oil hole in the center of the rod, this bearing was just about to spin.

And if you tear it down that far you'd be silly not to re-ring it and do the valves etc.

I can swap a motor in one day, easily......depending on whether I'm changing out the trans from the engine or it's all together and it's a simple swap. And assuming there's no issues - mismatching parts or something.

If you pull your motor and bring it to me, I'll take it apart and tell you exactly where you're at .... but bring it all, carbs, exhaust, trans, starter, genset, radiator etc. Or just tow the car up and I'll take it from there......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

If you do an engine swap I wouldn't mind seeing how it's done.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000