Brake question for the group

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Brake question for the group

Post by MiniMax »

I am due to replace my front rotors/pads in the spring but just changed my rear pads last fall and have (according to the car) 23,000 more miles on the rears. I have not measured the rotors (I can feel a lip and I have 60,000 miles on the rotors) but I'm not sure if I should change both front and back at the same time. I have read a lot on the other forums and have gotten different opinions, just polling you guys for more information.

MiniMax
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Brake question for the group

Post by Hagar46 »

I have done it both ways (all 4 wheels or just 2) depending on wear, but generally have replaced the fronts more often. I always replace pads and rotors at the same time, however. :D
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Brake question for the group

Post by Minidave »

At 60K you're definitely ready to replace the rotors too.....

I think I'd look into one of those packages with pads, rotors and sensors all in one kit - you can save some $$$$ doing that. If you want stock parts you can get those kits from Baron (don't forget to ask for your club discount).

If you want to go to some different pads, ECS sells kits like this too and their pads don't make the black dust the factory ones do.

I'm going to try some ceramic pads next time I do brakes, I'm running Akebonos on the Audi and I'm very impressed with how clean the wheels stay now, and the brakes work as well or better as the factory pads did in all their blackness!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)