MINIS ON THE DRAGON

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

MINIS ON THE DRAGON

Post by Glasspony »

Do any MINIacs from the KC area attend Minis on the Dragon?
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINIS ON THE DRAGON

Post by MiniManiac »

I haven't been since '05.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Glasspony »

We have been up the last4 years. We will be going again this year either from Tampa or KC, depending on where we live.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I've been on the Dragon a few times, but not with the group.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I went with MiniX2 three years in a row, but haven't been for 3 years now. I'd like to visit the Dragon in the fall.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I was there in '08 :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

My wife and I took the Harley up to the dragon July 2nd 2010 its great they have the photographers there and you can get online and order pics of your trip. It was a great trip we saw a bike crash not bad kind of funny really nobody hurt bike not hurt just pride. It was a fantastic ride there had been an avalanche up at the north end by the lake so there was nobody out there maybe 2 or 3 cars and about thirty bikes and no south bound traffic except the people that went up you had to turn around and go back down. Anybody been over on moonshiner 28 runs through NC, GA, SC it’s a great ride also wife says she’s ready to go back in the mini. WHOOO HOOO when is the mini gathering there? From there we went down the Blue Ridge parkway for a while that was beautiful too spent the 4th with some friends in SC then went down to Key West for a cpl of days sightseeing and shark fishing. Then up and across alligator alley up the west side of Florida stayed close to the gulf coast over to new Orleans then caught 49 back to kansas city it was one of our best rides. Until Tina got sun poisoning from her sunburn we had to come home or I might have talked her into staying west bound until we got to CA. I am definatly game for road trip we took off with no real plans other than deals gap and our friends 4th party we winged everything else no resevations no plan. best way to roll.
Attachments
37527_132697526767485_615295_n.jpg
37527_132697526767485_615295_n.jpg (107.7 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
34500_132698910100680_5292294_n.jpg
34500_132698910100680_5292294_n.jpg (68.07 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

Sorry I might have gotten a little long winded but I love a trip down winding roads with no plans. stop when your tired, hungry or need gas. some people need everything planned out I just point and go you find some of the coolist things that way. today people hurry to get there and hurry to get back and forget how much fun the trip is over the destination.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Hootie wrote:Sorry I might have gotten a little long winded but I love a trip down winding roads with no plans. stop when your tired, hungry or need gas. some people need everything planned out I just point and go you find some of the coolist things that way. today people hurry to get there and hurry to get back and forget how much fun the trip is over the destination.
Very true.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:I went with MiniX2 three years in a row, but haven't been for 3 years now. I'd like to visit the Dragon in the fall.
Hmmmm......sounds fun :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have a similar pic in front of that marker, only the day we were there it was 100* with 100% humidity and we were exhausted! This was in late October too!

I agree with the idea of pointing the vehicle in a direction and see where you wind up, but my traveling partner does not see things the same way - she insists on having everything planned out, but she's been coming around the last few years. On our trip down to the Keys we had no reservations at all, and stumbled into a terrific place quite by accident - Tranquility Bay, on Marathon. Since then she's been a little more adventurous....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:I agree with the idea of pointing the vehicle in a direction and see where you wind up, but my traveling partner does not see things the same way - she insists on having everything planned out, but she's been coming around the last few years. On our trip down to the Keys we had no reservations at all, and stumbled into a terrific place quite by accident - Tranquility Bay, on Marathon. Since then she's been a little more adventurous....
Agreed.

I used to do this in Germany for ski trips until we showed up to a ski town in Switzerland that was hosting a snow board tournament. Every hotel was booked and we had to stay a hostel. After that event, I had to plan every trip we made :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Glasspony »

I am a good friend with the guy that organizes the event. It runs from April 30 to May 4. If you have not gotten rooms yet you may be SOL. Website is www.minisonthedragon.com

:D
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Glasspony wrote:Do any MINIacs from the KC area attend Minis on the Dragon?
I went in 2011 and 2013. Would go every year if I could -- really great event, very well run.

Snooter does a great job.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think they already have more than 800 people committed for this years event.... :shock:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:I think they already have more than 800 people committed for this years event.... :shock:
From Snooter yesterday: "Woo Hoo we now have 800 registrations and 555 MINIs as of today!!"
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:I think they already have more than 800 people committed for this years event.... :shock:
Good lord! I went in 2005 and I thought it was overcrowded with ~ 200-300 MINIs and 3 Minis :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

MiniManiac wrote:
Good lord! I went in 2005 and I thought it was overcrowded with ~ 200-300 MINIs and 3 Minis :)
2011 it was 1,000 people, I think. Craaaazy. Last year we stayed offsite at Tapoco Lodge and hung out with friends -- spent more time doing that than MOTD activities.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

IowaM1N1 wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:
2011 it was 1,000 people, I think. Craaaazy. Last year we stayed offsite at Tapoco Lodge and hung out with friends -- spent more time doing that than MOTD activities.
OK, didn't have the count right...the official data from the MOTD site:

2013: 967 registered MINIacs. (approx. 649 MINIs)
2012 (10th anniversary): 1115 registered MINIacs. (approx. 772 MINIs)
2011: 823 registered MINIacs. (approx. 543 MINIs)
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
V. W.

Post by V. W. »

Me and My husband are going to take our Harleys to the Dragon this June,,,, is going to be a wonderful experience..... :D

Love to take the Mini to the Dragon in the fall ,,,,,, sooooo beautiful
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Glasspony »

We only sign up for the welcome dinner, bingo and farewell dinner. We usually join any runs that sound interesting or go do things that interest us. Remember, when they say there are 1000 people registered, that doesn't mean that they will be there all at the same time. Some people come only on weekend for a day or two. The diehards usually hangout for the entire event.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Glasspony wrote: The diehards usually hangout for the entire event.
Not just the whole event...the diehards show up the Saturday before and spend the whole week! I know some of them! They make it their Spring Break.

When I retire, that's one of the things I hope to do.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

I would be game going with a bunch on an off time some time to the dragon. all the ralleys we attended on the harley were not as much fun as when a group of us said lets go here (IE pikes peak) and just enjoyed the ride and the company. all the times we have done that I have never missed all the hoppla of a thousands of people.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Hootie wrote:I would be game going with a bunch on an off time some time to the dragon. all the ralleys we attended on the harley were not as much fun as when a group of us said lets go here (IE pikes peak) and just enjoyed the ride and the company. all the times we have done that I have never missed all the hoppla of a thousands of people.
Tar Heel MINIs has a much smaller Dragon event in October -- MINIs Slay the Sleeping Dragon. This year October 24th, 2014 to October 26th, 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/HWY129MSSD
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Glasspony »

MOTD was awesome this year. Saw one car from Kansas. Pratt County. Weather was great. Even with as many cars that there was up there, the only time things were a little crazy was on Saturday when other car groups and hundreds of motos joined in. Got a little crowded up there on the Dragon. We had great times, good music, good food, and awesome driving.