Anyone up for a garage day? July 19th, 2014

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Anyone up for a garage day? July 19th, 2014

Post by MiniMax »

I'm in need of a brake fluid flush. I've never done one before but it looks pretty straightforward. I'll volunteer my garage (worked out great last time) if no one else can do it. I'm thinking some time later this month. Let me know if anyone else want to join or help out.

MiniMax
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Anyone up for a garage day?

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniMax wrote:I'm in need of a brake fluid flush. I've never done one before but it looks pretty straightforward. I'll volunteer my garage (worked out great last time) if no one else can do it. I'm thinking some time later this month. Let me know if anyone else want to join or help out.

MiniMax
I can do the brake flush for you!

Next Saturday at your house? I have a list of parts to install.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Would front struts and shocks all around be doable? Be glad to help with whatever else needs to be done on others cars! Ragtopday's car not mine, btw :)
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I installed struts,springs and rear sway bar in my driveway in a little over an afternoon with no power tools. Probably do-able, but would go quicker with an impact and a good (my rental was horrible) spring compressor. Will consume a couple of people for the full time though.

I just ordered spark plugs and need to borrow the socket when they arrive. If anyone else needs to swap theirs, we could all pass the socket around.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Anyone up for a garage day? July 2014

Post by MiniX4 John »

So, I need a little help in regards to the front struts and shocks around the r52 cabrio. One of my front struts has a slight bend and is leaking, so I have a friend that has unused front struts and springs from his 06 Cooper S that he had because dealer put on the JCW's. From what I can tell, it looks like they will work (unless they only work for the sport suspension). Also, what else do I need for the fronts? Upper strut mounts? In regards to the rears, the car is at 150K, I am not sure what to look at for wear, just going by overdue for them by mileage. Do I need new springs as well? What else? Nuts, Mounts? Recommends on shocks themselves? Not looking to spend a ton of money. Also, does anyone have the spring compressor? I didn't see it on the club tool list?
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

What day are we looking at? Right now I have the 19th available? Does that work for anyone?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have a spring compressor, but if you're installing struts with springs already on them you won't need it. I've changed springs without one, but sometimes it can be tough. The strut is the shock, so you'll be putting new shocks in already from the '06.

I think top mounts would be a good idea at this mileage. Be prepared in case we wind up breaking a sway bar link, they rust up but unless they're stiff and crusty or really loose I would reuse them. Get some penetrating oil on all the fastners now so it will have a few days to soak in.

An impact wrench is a real time saver on this job.

Depending on when you want to do this, my shop may be available - and the lift would make this a ton easier.

19th works for me.

Raptor I have the spark plug socket.

MiniManic, are you talking parts for the Classic or your '08?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Minidave wrote:I have a spring compressor, but if you're installing struts with springs already on them you won't need it. I've changed springs without one, but sometimes it can be tough. The strut is the shock, so you'll be putting new shocks in already from the '06.

I think top mounts would be a good idea at this mileage. Be prepared in case we wind up breaking a sway bar link, they rust up but unless they're stiff and crusty or really loose I would reuse them. Get some penetrating oil on all the fastners now so it will have a few days to soak in.

An impact wrench is a real time saver on this job.

Depending on when you want to do this, my shop may be available - and the lift would make this a ton easier.

19th works for me.

Raptor I have the spark plug socket.

MiniManic, are you talking parts for the Classic or your '08?
I was also talking about the rear shocks above. Knew about the front struts being the "shock". Did not know if the spring was already on the struts from the '06. Just need to know about the rear shocks I guess. I will check with Baron on price for top mounts tomorrow for the fronts. Thanks Dave!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Thanks Dave! Plugs are in their way from amazon :). $45 shipped for JCW plugs (may be the same as what is in there now, will find out when I change 'em).
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote: MiniManic, are you talking parts for the Classic or your '08?
Classic
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

wow, great response. Yes the 19th of July would work. MiniDave has a much better set up than me. (if your still offering Dave). I think it would be best to have it there as I lack tools and the lift. I know there is a lot of opinion on which brake fluid to use, any specific recommendations.

MiniMax
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniMax wrote:wow, great response. Yes the 19th of July would work. MiniDave has a much better set up than me. (if your still offering Dave). I think it would be best to have it there as I lack tools and the lift. I know there is a lot of opinion on which brake fluid to use, any specific recommendations.

MiniMax
I run ATE Super Blue Racing. I don't know if can get it anymore due to the EPA banning it for being blue.......seriously :(
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I wussed out and had Baron do mine for me, so I am running official MINI fluid.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There is nothing special about the brake fluid, unless you're prepping your car for track use I just use good ol Dot 4 from any auto parts store. This stuff is inexpensive and works just fine......buy a quart so we'll have some extra to flush the system with.
Attachments
IMG_2946R.jpg
IMG_2946R.jpg (176.9 KiB) Viewed 10700 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dsopoci »

I am not due for any repairs, but I would like to help and learn some things. I work until 4 on Saturdays, but should be free after that.
2009 Cooper S, AEM intake,six spd, chili red with mini challenge stripes
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

dsopoci wrote:I am not due for any repairs, but I would like to help and learn some things. I work until 4 on Saturdays, but should be free after that.
This...this is what Garage Days are all about. Coming to lend a hand, learn about the cars, even when you don't have something to do on your own car. It's awesome!

BTW, I am just going to do the front struts, strut mounts and the inner ball joints. I am going to wait on the rear shocks. Don't want to take up a bunch of time on the lift with others waiting. I hear the rear shocks are way easier anyway.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

dsopoci wrote:I am not due for any repairs, but I would like to help and learn some things. I work until 4 on Saturdays, but should be free after that.
We'll be done or close to it by 4 pm......just FYI

Anyone who needs directions to my house, please PM me.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

MiniX2, he left the struts and springs out for me to pick up, I'm going right by there tomorrow morning on the way to Cars and Coffee at the Roasterie so I'll have them at my shop next Sat.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dsopoci »

Minidave wrote:
We'll be done or close to it by 4 pm......just FYI

Anyone who needs directions to my house, please PM me.
How early in the morning will you start? How far are you from the city market?
2009 Cooper S, AEM intake,six spd, chili red with mini challenge stripes
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Thanks Dave!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We generally start at 9am, my shop is in Overland Park, at roughly 90th and Antioch. It's a small shop, but if the weather's nice we can also work outside on the driveway.

BTW, it's traditional that the new guy brings Krispy Kremes.......... Nine5raptor?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Aye, I fulfilled my duty as the new guy last time! I'd be happy to pass the torch! :) :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Uh oh, we may be sans donuts then unless someone new pops up! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I don't mind as long as I can make it. It is extremely generous of you, Dave, to offer up your garage again.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Uh oh, we may be sans donuts then unless someone new pops up! :mrgreen:
I can bring some.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW