Both
No votes
Don't Really Know
No votes

Total votes: 1

Punk_Mini

Proving my cousin wrong

Post by Punk_Mini »

Ok i was watching House the tv show and I was curious about a phobia of needles. So i went on Wikipedia i have found the exact one it is called Associative Trypanophobia in which a traumatic event such as an extremely painful medical procedure or witnessing a family member or friend undergo such, causes the patient to associate all procedures involving needles with the original negative experience which for me is a personal matter so doesn't that mean a fear of needles and it is pschological (in my HEAD) type deal and not just a excuse but truely in fact a PHOBIA.

My cousin is so god dam stubborn telling me it is just my excuse of not getting shots and he has a pshyc teacher that knows it all and taught him that if you have a phobia you see the type of thing that is your phobia on tv you will pass out or whatver adverse reactions pretain to the phobia but in my case if i am told i am going to get a shot or see a kneedle i go into a panic attack and get mad and all the aggressive reactions to fight back or if it is days in advanced i get insomnia. But if i see it on tv i am fine because I know it is tv not real life so it doesn't affect me. I just need someone to give me some backing to my answer to my stubborn ass cousin.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

1. "Yes" or "No" are not appropriate answers for either/or questions in a poll. :)

2. Sounds exactly like a phobia: The panic attack is the kicker.

Diagnostic Criteria

1. Marked and persistent fear that is excessive or unreasonable, cued by the presence or anticipation of a specific object or situation (e.g., flying, heights, animals, receiving an injection, seeing blood).
2. Exposure to the phobic stimulus almost invariably provokes an immediate anxiety response, which may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally predisposed Panic Attack. Note: In children, the anxiety may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, or clinging.
3. The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or unreasonable. Note: In children, this feature may be absent.
4. The phobic situation(s) is avoided or else is endured with intense anxiety or distress.
5. The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.
6. In individuals under age 18 years, the duration is at least 6 months.
7. The anxiety, Panic Attacks, or phobic avoidance associated with the specific object or situation are not better accounted for by another mental disorder, such as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (e.g., fear of dirt in someone with an obsession about contamination), Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (e.g., avoidance of stimuli associated with a severe stressor), Separation Anxiety Disorder (e.g., avoidance of school), Social Phobia (e.g., avoidance of social situations because of fear of embarrassment), Panic Disorder With Agoraphobia, or Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder.
dazite

Post by dazite »

Yes as in PHOBIA. I am extremely frightened of anything pokey. I will have a panic attack if someone comes after me with a push pin even.
cletus

Post by cletus »

> I am extremely frightened of anything pokey.

Oh ... for a minnit I thought you meant geezers driving Buicks, that sort of thing. Then I realized this is the Off Topic forum......