Classic Minis: brake servo or no?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
SoSlow
MINIAC
MINIAC

Classic Minis: brake servo or no?

Post by SoSlow »

I know nobody uses this forum anymore, but I'll try.

To the people with classic Minis, are you running a brake servo? I've got one, and I like my brake feel now, but I'm certainly looking for anywhere I can save space in the engine bay. Ditching the servo seems to be a popular option.

'94 Rover SPi 1275

Thanks.
1994 Rover Mini 1275 SPi
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Minis: brake servo or no?

Post by Minidave »

I have one with and one without, can hardly tell the difference, but brake pads make all the difference too - too hard a pad and you really have to stomp on them till the brakes warm up. As most classics don't even do 1000 miles a year, and rarely get driven hard, soft pads are fine.

If you plan to do a lot of mountain driving you might want to swap out for a little more suitable compound, they're easy enough to change and cheap enough.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
SoSlow
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by SoSlow »

I'm not sure what pads were in it before, but they were super hard. Just switched to Mintex M1144, and I like these a lot better. Still plenty easy to lock them up, but a lot less effort needed to use.

But mine is also my daily, so I don't want to make things too obscenely difficult on myself.
1994 Rover Mini 1275 SPi
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The MIntex pads are a great compromise....they'll do fine with or without the brake booster. But..... I like having the power brakes on my 89 Racing Green. I put a booster on my 80 Clubman Estate when I had it too.....frankly I don't know what you'd gain by removing it for extra work space there's not much you have to work on on that side of the car on a regular basis, but yes it is crowded under the bonnet of an SPi, especially if it has A/C!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SoSlow
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by SoSlow »

Haha, yeah, it has a/c, so I was just trying to see if there was anything I could ditch to get some more room. This is what I get for buying a later one!
1994 Rover Mini 1275 SPi
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I just removed the A/C from a mid 90's Japanese spec SPi, it really helps in the front of the car, not much else.....before and after pics. I think your best bet is just to leave it alone and drive it....flush the brake fluid, do all the usual maintenance. Is yours an automatic or manual transmission? If it's an auto, change your oil to 10W40 JASO MA2 motorcycle oil, it will last longer and work better - you have to change the automatic oil every 1500 miles to make them last - manuals every 3K
Attachments
IMG_20210102_114624R.jpg
IMG_20201101_112200R.jpg
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SoSlow
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by SoSlow »

Mine's a manual, and yeah, I've heard oil changes are number one with these, especially due to the sharing of fluid between engine and trans.

Also, the ECU in that SPi is in a slightly different place than mine is. Interesting...Mine is mounted right to the inner fender.
1994 Rover Mini 1275 SPi
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, earlier cars had it mounted more to the side
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"