Cooling fan will not quit

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Cooling fan will not quit

Post by Hagar46 »

Anyone have suggestions for me to check why the electric cooling fan will not turn off ever. It ran my battery dead this afternoon when my motor was off. Only way I could stop it was to disconnect the battery. '03 Justa Cooper.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Cooling fan will not quit

Post by Minidave »

There's a fuse you can pull too....

The problem is the relay is stuck, you need a new one....on your year it may be mounted on the fan assy itself, however don't confuse it with the resister pack. It's a small box with 4 or 5 prongs, it just unplugs.

Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Thanks, Minidave. I will check that.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Left battery disconnected overnight and car ran properly today. Hope it just re-set something and continues to work.
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The fan relay is sticking, it's not an expensive part and it will probably do it again.

Next time it does, try bumping the fan housing area with your fist, if it stops it's clearly the relay.

Or just buy a relay at the auto parts store, it's a common relay, nothing exotic about it at all.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Ok, thanks again MiniDave. I will do that if it sticks again. :D
George

Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Knock on wood, it has not done it again so I have not replaced the relay. :D
George