Bentley Manual

Take a look at what's in the club's toolbox...
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Bentley Manual

Post by Minidave »

Would whomever has it please PM me?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Bentley Manual

Post by Hagar46 »

I have one of my own that I can lend to you. It is my personal copy, not the club's however.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Someone in the club has borrowed it, I just can't remember who - that's why I asked them to PM me.....I just want to know where it is.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Dave, I might be interested in the manual for the R56. Looking to maybe tackle full suspension swapout this long weekend.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We don't Have a Bentley for the R56 unfortunately, however the suspension on these cars is pretty straightforward and based on the work you've already done on your car, I doubt you'll have any problem with it.

Someone in the club has borrowed the R50-53 Bentley and hasn't returned it or even owned up to having it (hint, hint)

I understand we'll be getting a couple of Haynes manuals for the library soon tho.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Minidave wrote:We don't Have a Bentley for the R56 unfortunately, however the suspension on these cars is pretty straightforward and based on the work you've already done on your car, I doubt you'll have any problem with it.

Someone in the club has borrowed the R50-53 Bentley and hasn't returned it or even owned up to having it (hint, hint)

I understand we'll be getting a couple of Haynes manuals for the library soon tho.....
Ahh. Thanks for straightening me out, Dave! I believe I bought a Haynes manual and haven't even used it yet. My plan for the suspension was to just take it all apart and hope it goes back together with few 'spare parts' ('cause I don't know where they go)! Was mostly just looking for torque values, but I'll see what I got and what the internet offers. Found a couple of guides already.

And thanks for the vote of confidence!
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Front:
-Pinch bolt: 74ft-lb
-to strut tower: 25ft-lb
-end link: 41ft-lb
-strut retaining nut: 47ft-lb
Rear:
-Control arm to trailing arm: 74
-strut upper mount to body: 41 *book says to replace, I'm just doing that after the 4th install and I'm still alive.
-rear strut lower mount to trailing arm: 122
-end link: 41ft-lb
-strut center nut 22 ft-lb

Tips... front knuckle can take some liquid wrench to get things moving. May also need to wedge it open to get new strut back in. There is a left and right of sorts to the rear assembly. Leave one original assembly together so you have reference to put it back together. Remember the rear trailing arms are aluminum so don't strip the lower bolt.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The R50-53 Manual has been accounted for and will be available soon in case someone needs to borrow it. :thumbsup2:

The problem wasn't with the borrower, it was with the caretaker (me) and my lousy memory!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

thanks John! The rear is now done and put back together. I did the sway bar and struts with the new springs. I have the fronts all loose but am still working to get the struts out of the clamp. They seem to be way too long. I pb blasted them and can rotate them but haven't managed to get them free yet.

BTW, using a spring compressor with wrenches and ratchets is awful. Takes wayyyyy too long!

Currently, I am planning to skip the front sway bar. Will bias towards oversteer without it and it seems like a lot of work. Maybe later if needed. Today is my 6 year olds birthday and we are also getting ready for the party tomorrow.

BTW, the Haynes manual isn't half bad. I'd be willing to buy one for the club.

Edit (next day): all done!!! Finished in the rain even. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread! :)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And we now have two Haynes Manuals to lend, as well as an R56 Bentley manual if someone needs to do some work on their car.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"