How to put photo in profile

Tips for using forums. Got a question on how to use the forum? Post it here.
Walt

How to put photo in profile

Post by Walt »

Hey guys; please help the village idiot :? I can't seem to load a photo for our profile. I have knocked it down to 150 x 128, but it keeps giving an error about file size. I know I am just doing something dumb, or not doing something simple.

Also, when registering, your post says the password for setting up is MINI, but that doesn't seem to be needed, as I just did whatever was in the impossible to read box.

Thanks for having a great forum!
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: How to put photo in profile

Post by kenshin138 »

File size has nothing to do with the dimensions of the image. An avatar needs to be under a certain dimension AND have a smaller file-size. What program are you using to resize the picture? What format is the picture in? Typically I'd use JPG/JPEG for an avatar as its going to be the smallest in file size.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Walt

Post by Walt »

I'm using HP Photo Imaging. It doesn't seem to have a way to change the file size (even with 150 pixels the file size is over 56K)
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

try microsoft paint. Open the original file using a right click and open with. Then click on the tab up top that contains resize. Drop the percent size and the file size will go with it. Hope this helps :)
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm a big fan of Irfanview....it's a free download and a very small sized program but it can do anything, and it's very easy and inutitive to use.

IIRC it has an "avatar" size setting, you just open the pic, click the size and "save as" and yer done.

That's how I did mine....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

I have modified the avatar settings to allow images up to 70k to be uploaded.

An image that is 150x150 pixels at 8-bits should weigh in around 65k at max. Just as long as you aren't trying to upload 32-bit Photoshop or TIFF files you should be OK now :)
KangaMINI
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Try picnik.com for a cool on-line photo editor. Very cool -- that's what I used for my His&Hers avatar.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever