Micro Car show - April 20th

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Micro Car show - April 20th

Post by Minidave »

Saw an article about this in the paper today, it's at the Westwood City Hall in Westwood, just off Shawnee Mission Parkway and Rainbow from 1-4.

Steph, this would be a perfect place to show off BB, she'd be one of the larger cars there! :lol:

Anybody want to go? I love these tiny little cars!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Micro Car show - April 20th

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Minidave wrote:Saw an article about this in the paper today, it's at the Westwood City Hall in Westwood, just off Shawnee Mission Parkway and Rainbow from 1-4.

Steph, this would be a perfect place to show off BB, she'd be one of the larger cars there! :lol:

Anybody want to go? I love these tiny little cars!
I've got a little more info on this show to share.

There is no charge to enter the show, however donating a buck or two to help defray the expense of the city hall attendant would be appreciated. The city hall will be open for restroom access.

While MINIs technically don't qualify as MicroCars or MiniCars, I was welcomed a couple of years ago at this show. If the weather holds, I think John will bring Moxie but I wouldn't hesitate to drop by in a MINI either. The parking lot is a nice location for a show.

So what does qualify as a MicroCar or MiniCar? I've seen two different definitions, one that the car must be 1000cc or less, the other that it must be 10 feet long or less. I'm glad the local group isn't hung up on the rules. :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Where exactly is this place?? I might take my Mini to it.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Counterfit_Mini wrote:Where exactly is this place?? I might take my Mini to it.
4700 Rainbow Blvd, Westwood, KS. The city hall faces Rainbow, the parking lot is on the backside.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I'm planning to come by and take a look. (It's just down the street for me). Convenience is not the reason, though. I've become a microNut.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Just got back from the show and errands and I've got to say that was the best show I've been to in a long time! Two years ago there weren't that many cars and certainly not a lot of spectators. I would guess hundreds of folks came to the show today and the number of cars was still growing when I left. I don't know if the popularity/interest in small cars is increasing with gas prices or if the article in the Star helped or what but it sure was good to see that many people and cars.

I did remember my camera but left it's battery safely tucked in the charger, at home. :( If anyone has pics to share, it will certainly get me off the hook with the hubby who missed the show today.

There was a beautiful pale blue Classic at the show and the owner was a really nice fella. He bought the car in Australia and it's never been restored or re-painted, nor does it need to be. The condition was very nice and he has fun stories about his buying experience. I hope he will join us here!

A couple stopped me while I was car-gazing to ask if I had a Mini (sporting MotoringChix attire today--dead giveaway). The gentleman had owned Classics in the 70s and had kept the maintenance manual all these years. It's not a Haynes or Bentley manual, but the real deal manufacturers manual. He wanted to give it to a Mini owner and now it has a new home. If any of you Classic owners want to take a look at it, just holler. It's quite a piece of Mini memorabilia and even has some great shop notes taped inside the cover. Better than Christmas...

The Smart cars were out in full force today. They've found each other, kinda like MINI owners. I suspect they wave. One Smart had "Maxwell" for their vanity plate. Ha!

I ran into Minidave and dimini at the show--both are a wealth of knowledge on many unusual car makes. Then I ran into rojocohete and esmter. More amazing knowledge from those two! Then I saw Terry (terryandmaggie) and his beautiful Corvette. Terry says "Hi!" and says he still drops by the site once in awhile. It was super great to see him!

I stopped by Costco on the way home and have now installed the Davester/Bentley mod to my MINI. It was sure easier than the Joey mod directions. :lol:
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

ragtopday wrote:...I stopped by Costco on the way home and have now installed the Davester/Bentley mod to my MINI. It was sure easier than the Joey mod directions. :lol:
What is the Davester/Bentley mod :?:
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Does it have anything to do with sunglasses????????
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Davester wrote:Does it have anything to do with sunglasses????????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

NO!

I got an industrial, rubber-backed entry mat to line the back of my MINI. It's not as fancy as Bentley's, more along the lines of Dave's, and I put a split in it so I can use it with just one seat down or with both. It's the best $20 I've spent on my MINI. I had no idea until yesterday that a 3 x 5 was the perfect size for the back of a MINI. :!:
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

now the sunglass mod - that was a sight to see ;)

and the entry mat mod is a great mod to have, saving the backs of my seats from lots of scrapes and mars.
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I think the Microcar show was a blast, too. Great variety of cars and well attended. I think my favorite of the day was the Heinkel, but, there were so many cool little automotive nuggets, it's hard to judge.

Yes, the Morris Mini MkII was sweet (he got it in Australia? It doesn't have the Aussie quarter windows). There was also a rare Wolseley Hornet cabriolet. Such a cool little mini variant with its petite, yet stately "Rolls Royce" inspired grille. Maybe MINIdave will post some pix.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I'd like to see some pictures from the show. Sorry I didn't make it I'm having more technical difficulties with my Mini. :(
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I took about 45 pics but I have to resize them first, they're all way too big........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

the strangest looking one was definitely the Heinkel - so odd!

my faves were the red Prinz, the yellow fiat 600 and the gorgeous green Morris Minor.

and maybe the BRG bug eye sprite that inspired ours!

I took a bunch of pics that also need to be resized - i'll post some tonight.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Finally got my pics resized tonight, so here we go...........unfortunately my battery died before I could get a lot of shots I wanted, like when the line of 6 or 8 Smart cars all came rolling in!

Victoria engine
Victoria front
Victoria badge
Victoria Infor sheet
Victoria
Heinkel Emblem
Heinkel
BMW 700
BMW 700 rear
Citroen 2CV
Berkely
Berkely Engine
Bugeye
Metropolitan
Nash rear
Sad Subaru 360
Prinz emblem
NSU Prinz
Mini Moke
Karman Ghia
Isetta Cabrio
Honda 600
Fiat 600 Multipla
Multipla interior
Wolsley Cabrio
Whizzer engine in a Western Auto Bicycle
Triumph Herald convertible
Green Isetta
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I love the Citroen. They were popular when I was stationed in Germany. The nickname for them was the duck. I think I can run faster than they can drive.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Dang. I missed a good show. :(
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Sorry I missed the show. The Citroen 2CV has always been one of my favorites, too. Perhaps that "duck" nickname came from the nickname I always remember "deux chevaux" - literally, "two horses." Which is about how much power they have.

There were 3,872,583 of them made before the last one rolled off in 1988 in Portugal. It was quite an innovative car in many ways, including the fact that the springs and shocks are shared on each side, front-to-back, through the rocker panels. The French never want to do anything the same way everyone else does. :) They are a nation that idolizes engineers.

They are still raced in England. When I was in Paris a few years ago there were still quite a few of them on the streets.

Here's one I thought was a hoot:

dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

2cv and classic minis have been my two favorites for the past 20 years. I thought I read that 2cv's were made up 'til the 90's? Hey, even it's Portugal, late 80's, that's a long run for a vehicle that looks like pre-WWII Soviet machinery.

Thanks for the pix, Dave.