Heartland Park Touring Laps - June 11th

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Heartland Park Touring Laps - June 11th

Post by Minidave »

OK, only a couple of weeks till our next "speed" fix, who's going?

Besides Me? Yes, I wasn't supposed to be able to go, but plans changed so, for the moment I'm in...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I am thinking about going to this one. I just hope that there will be more instructors this time for the novice group.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This last time there were a lot more instructors, plus they spent a lot more time in the driver's meeting explaining what to do and so on.......

The very best thing would be to have Minijayhawk as your instructor, as he drives an R56 now........he says he'll be at each of the events if some MINI owners are going to show up, so let's get a good turnout!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

That would be awesome if MiniJ was there to instruct. I really want to feel some speed this time!
~Laurie~

sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Would love to be there but I'll be tracking a MINI at Homestead Speedway in Miami that week and then on my way to Boston on MTTS.

Have fun and I'll most likely have the GP at HPT in July. :arrow:
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I think MiniJayhawk is out for June - at least that's what he told me at the Audi HPDE.

They only had 3 instructors at the beginning of last session and ended up with 4 or 5 by the end of the night.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You coming, Alex?

Hey Pete, did you get a chance to download and look at your track data from the last event?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
burley

Post by burley »

what exactly goes on at these events? Im bored and may swing by since I live in Topeka.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

burley,

Touring Laps at Heartland Park is an opportunity to drive your MINI at speed in a safe and controlled environment on the HP road course. Once you go thru the Novice class you'll be allowed to drive your car as fast as you can, safely and in control. This is not a race, none of your laps are timed, and the only time you can pass another car is on the straight and having been "pointed by" by the car in front.

Go to any of the previous Heartland Park threads for discussion, member's impressions and video.

You'll want to join up and sign up for the upcoming event on June 11th, several members of the KC MINIacs will be there and you are more than welcome to join us. The only thing you need to do to your car is ensure that your brakes and tires are in good shape, fluids topped up and so on.
You also need a helmet with the current snell rating, but you don't need any special clothes, shoes or seat belts......

If you just want to come watch, feel free - there's no admission charge for spectators, but you probably won't be able to run that day if you don't sign up ahead of time, the event only allows 60 cars total and they usually sell out.

Come join us, you'll have a blast - ask anyone who's done it!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Dave

What time is this event, I might be able to go and watch I can't spring for laps this time.

I would love to get some pictures and if anyone is interested depending on where I can go at the track I might be able to put together a nice set of pictures for everyone.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You can go pretty much around the whole track, so there are plenty of photo ops.......

Admission is free for spectators, and if you like you can get a ride on track with someone.

Tech starts at 3 pm, but nothing really happens till 4:30 when the first cars hit the track. Come on up!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I just paid my entry fee for June 11 HPT laps. Planning on having fun and not getting in trouble due to inappropriate passing. :oops:
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
burley

Post by burley »

How much is it to do the laps and how much are helmets? I just told told my wife about it and she's pretty exited. I own a "justa cooper", so I might be the guy in the slow lane :)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It costs a once a year fee of $20 and the sessions are only $60 each (for each date, not each run)

You can buy an open faced helmet for about $120 from Soloracer.com, a closed one for about $140. Wherever you buy it, be sure to get one with the latest Snell rating, a DOT rated helmet (like for a motorcycle) won't be allowed on track.

There are several members who have run or currently run a Justacooper at HPT and they are surprisingly fast, so don't feel like you shouldn't come out and play with us!

If you check this heading, you'll find some threads on our previous outings, including some comments by sliboa on this forum who also runs a justacooper and he even put up some video of his runs. Check it out!

Last fall Hagar put up some vids of his justacooper running with us at HPT, and his has the CVT automatic - he's plenty fast too!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I might be there with the new Mini...not sure yet.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'm not sure if I can attend. Still recovering from surgery on my toe. I'll know next Monday.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Minidave wrote:Admission is free for spectators, and if you like you can get a ride on track with someone.
According to the paperwork, "no passengers except for instructors". I wouldn't wan't you to come out expecting to take a ride if it is not allowed.

I just paid, so I am for sure in for next Wednesday. :D
~Laurie~

JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

I'm very much interested - will see if may be able to coordinate work scheduling... Is the intent to meet at HPT around 3PM?

Thanks!
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Laurie wrote:
Minidave wrote:Admission is free for spectators, and if you like you can get a ride on track with someone.
According to the paperwork, "no passengers except for instructors". I wouldn't wan't you to come out expecting to take a ride if it is not allowed.

I just paid, so I am for sure in for next Wednesday. :D

I just want exterior pictures, so no ride-a-longs is ok with me. I am a horrible backseat/shotgun driver anyway. I wouldn't put anyone though that, yet!!!!!!
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Usually we meet somewhere for lunch (typically out at The Legends) and then head on out to Topeka as a group. If your schedule does not allow for lunch, then meeting at HPT is always good too. :thumbsup2:
~Laurie~

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Laurie, several of us have ridden along with advanced or intermediate class drivers with no problems.
I rode with MiniJayhawk in his R56 last time, FWIW.......and I took LilRed in my car last fall with no comments or stink-eye looks from TPTB....... 8)
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

I might like to go to this as well. I'd just be a tag along though.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Minidave wrote:Laurie, several of us have ridden along with advanced or intermediate class drivers with no problems.
I rode with MiniJayhawk in his R56 last time, FWIW.......and I took LilRed in my car last fall with no comments or stink-eye looks from TPTB....... 8)
I know people have ridden along, but what I wrote was the "offical" word that HPT has on their registration form. I suppose they can enforce it as they see fit. Heck, I even rode along with an instructor in his car last time. :wink:
~Laurie~

Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

chknlil wrote:I might like to go to this as well. I'd just be a tag along though.
The more the merrier! You can get a taste so when your MINI finally arrives, you will already know what to expect when you do it for yourself! :thumbsup2:
~Laurie~

kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Sorry Guys, Can't go, work obligations, next month I'm bringing the new mini, my dad in a E430 4matic, and my older brother in a 911. We were all going to go next week but since I can't go cause of work they dropped out as well.