Windshield Replacement recommendations

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
JohnBLZ

Windshield Replacement recommendations

Post by JohnBLZ »

I've read plenty of opinions on NAM but KC has a unique environment so I wanted to get your opinons on whether I should go with factory glass or call a local replacement company?

Flatbad trailer 2 cars ahead of me dropping chunks of river rock at 80MPH on I-25 north of Denver== lots of f-bombs and a nice chunk/crack in my windshield.

F-bomb + F-bomb + F-bomb...

(on a side note after driving 4800+ miles in the last 10 days in the Cooper all seems to be well otherwise)

I would highly highly recommend those of you who have not made it to Glacier NP to visit it...the landscape is changing rapidly with all glaciers expected to be melted completely by 2030. Many Glacier hotel was quite an experience...but the road leading in isn't a great one for a MINI.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Check out this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=1319

Auto Glass and Tint in Shawnee did an excellent job on my windshield. My new windshield is a Pilkington, not factory. I have no complaints. I have rain-sensing wipers, if that was a concern.

DD
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

Thanks!
LittleRed

Re: Windshield Replacement recommendations

Post by LittleRed »

JohnBLZ wrote: (I would highly highly recommend those of you who have not made it to Glacier NP to visit it...the landscape is changing rapidly with all glaciers expected to be melted completely by 2030. Many Glacier hotel was quite an experience...but the road leading in isn't a great one for a MINI.
Glacier is probably my favorite of all the National Parks!!! :thumbsup2: And I've been to quite a few. How was the Going to the Sun Road in a MINI?
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

LittleRed wrote:
JohnBLZ wrote: (I would highly highly recommend those of you who have not made it to Glacier NP to visit it...the landscape is changing rapidly with all glaciers expected to be melted completely by 2030. Many Glacier hotel was quite an experience...but the road leading in isn't a great one for a MINI.
Glacier is probably my favorite of all the National Parks!!! :thumbsup2: And I've been to quite a few. How was the Going to the Sun Road in a MINI?
Still not completely open :( ...lots of avalanches this year. On the parts I was on it was great though!

Loved Yellowstone in a Mini as well though...nothing like having a 1200lb Bull Bison look down at you as he ambles by the MINI.

I think he appreciated my checkers 8)
TWabich

Auto Glass and Tint

Post by TWabich »

We have used them a couple of times now on our MINIs.

Only caveat - They will NOT use factory (MINI) glass on a couple of years old car UNLESS specifically asked to.

We ran into that issue on our 2003 recently but they replaced the non factory glass with MINI glass upon request. They weren't happy but they resolved the issue couteously and we will grant them our businees based on that performance.

Bear :shock:
monza

Post by monza »

I know its too late at this point, but if you can, get glass coverage on your auto insurance. On my MCS it is $8/yr and has a $50 deductable. I had my windshield replaced on nearly all of my cars in the last 10 years for rockchips to cracks that span the width of the glass. I have probably saved $2500+ with the most expensive being the one on the Saab which was a $700 piece of glass (OEM).
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

Cheapest quote I've found was $419...most expensive was $798.

F*Bomb.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

yikes!
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I seem to remember paying 4-something for mine at Auto Glass and Tint.
Sig
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sig »

Any new (2023) ideas on good places around KC to get windshield replaced?