Mama Got a New Pair of Shoes!

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
saturn

Mama Got a New Pair of Shoes!

Post by saturn »

What a huge difference ditching the run-flats can do! Only one dislike about the non-runflats, I can feel the "roll" on hard cornering. Guess i'll just have to get used to it! Up next.... new H&R springs!

Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

I want to see your new wheels, but I can not get to your pictures.... :cry:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

They work for me.............nice boots, baby!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

It works now... Very sharp!
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

SSSSWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

those are way slick. are you gonna leave em on through the salty winter roads or swap em out?
saturn

Post by saturn »

MiniVespa wrote:those are way slick. are you gonna leave em on through the salty winter roads or swap em out?
They're staying on. I'm so anal about washing the salt off my car, there shouldn't be a problem
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

They look good! Are those 17s or 18s? I was thinking about getting some non-runflats, as I never have flats, then got a hole in the sidewall of a new Potenza on my wife's PT Cruiser last weekend. :(

Don D
saturn

Post by saturn »

DDodge wrote:They look good! Are those 17s or 18s? I was thinking about getting some non-runflats, as I never have flats, then got a hole in the sidewall of a new Potenza on my wife's PT Cruiser last weekend. :(

Don D
Those are 18 x 7.5 and I think the offset is +42.

Let me know if you are going to go the non-runflat option, I'll give you the web-address of where I bought my Kumho's. They were $80 a piece with free shipping (came from GA in two days) compared to Tire-Rack $79 ea plus shipping. :thumbsup2:
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Looks great!

I wasn't sold on the wheel when you posted the pic initially. After seeing it on the car I have to retract my opinion. :)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Mama Got a New Pair of Shoes!

Post by davester »

[quote="saturn"]What a huge difference ditching the run-flats can do! Only one dislike about the non-runflats, I can feel the "roll" on hard cornering. Guess i'll just have to get used to it! Up next.... new H&R springs!

The Kumho's are a good choice except maybe you might have gone with the Ecsta ASX which are W rated ultra high performance tires. The Ecsta AST are a softer riding tire but they are a H rated. The sidewall is not as reinforced as much as the ASX and is causing the roll in the corners. However, the AST will last longer and ride smoother. By the way, I used to be the tire guy before retirement---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
saturn

Post by saturn »

I'm already adjusting my driving to NOT take off-ramps as fast as I used to.
It's hard to believe that these are as low profile as they are due to the softer ride.

Thanks for the input everyone!
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

saturn wrote:Let me know if you are going to go the non-runflat option, I'll give you the web-address of where I bought my Kumho's. They were $80 a piece with free shipping (came from GA in two days) compared to Tire-Rack $79 ea plus shipping. :thumbsup2:
Where did you get them? I'm looking to buy tires in the next couple weeks and always looking for a good deal.
saturn

Post by saturn »

LittleRed wrote:
saturn wrote:Let me know if you are going to go the non-runflat option, I'll give you the web-address of where I bought my Kumho's. They were $80 a piece with free shipping (came from GA in two days) compared to Tire-Rack $79 ea plus shipping. :thumbsup2:
Where did you get them? I'm looking to buy tires in the next couple weeks and always looking for a good deal.
treadepot.com, like I said, I did comparison shopping and I found them to be the cheapest!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Once you put on the new springs, the roll will be gone. Very nice!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Saturn - I am thinking of new wheels and was wondering who mounted the TPMS sensors and tires? And of course cost!

Thanks, Bob
Mr. F56
saturn

Post by saturn »

DA MINI wrote:Saturn - I am thinking of new wheels and was wondering who mounted the TPMS sensors and tires? And of course cost!

Thanks, Bob
Hey Bob, I went to NTB (National Tire and Battery) here in Independence. They removed the TPMS from my original rims, mounted them on my new tires and rims that I bought off of the web. Total cost was $139.76, but keep in mind that I have low profile tires since I have 18" rims, and they charge more to mount and balance them as compared to non-low profiles. I had called them on a Thursday, and they got me in on that Saturday.
Hope this info helps!
Remember, like I mentioned in a previous post, do comparative shopping on your tires and rims, a "package" deal is not always the cheapest!
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Saturn, Keeping the runflats for now. Just have money for the wheels.
Wondered if changing the TPMS was a problem. Been dealing with a local gas station/repair/tire shop for tires. Will check with them on the changeover.
Thinking about the ASA AR2 in black to go with my DS/B Cooper.
Mr. F56
saturn

Post by saturn »

Any tire shop should have no problem swapping out the monitors.
What kind of wheels are you getting?
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Here is another option for you. Have a tire shop take out your TPMS (I paid $15) and then send your TPMS to the business where you are purchasing your wheels/tires. They can put them in with your new wheels/tires, balance them and then all you have to do is install your new wheels. If you get the wheels/tires without the sensors you will have to rebalance them when you put in the sensors which will cost you more money.

I did this course of action and it worked out well. Of course, you will have to drive around with your TPMS warning light on for while, but it isn't that bad.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Where are the monitors on the wheels? I'm just curious to see if they are on the other set of S-Lites I've got out in the garage.

Don D
saturn

Post by saturn »

Don, I'm not sure if ours are the same but if there is still a metal valve stem on your rims then the TPMS is still on them.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

saturn wrote:Don, I'm not sure if ours are the same but if there is still a metal valve stem on your rims then the TPMS is still on them.
That's correct. The valve stem holds the TPMS to the wheel. If you ever break your TPMS, you can buy them from tirerack for about $35. This is much cheaper than the dealer. I did this and they are genuinely BMW.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Wheels would be ASA AR1 in black. Love the BBS style. However my dentist thinks I need a new crown instead! :(
Mr. F56
saturn

Re: Mama Got a New Pair of Shoes!

Post by saturn »

So after having the rims on for a while, I decided that the chrome on them had to go.
Took a week to strip the faux chrome off until I finally found a chemical solution to do the job right. I didn't want to sand them since they attach to the wheels and could set off the balance.
Anyone want to strip chrome off plastic fast without hurting the plastic, use two parts muriatic acid, one part hydrogen peroxide, and as with all chemicals, safety comes first!