Our Economy is this bad! Am I the only one?

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
longlivekel

Our Economy is this bad! Am I the only one?

Post by longlivekel »

Ok guys..
We all know the economy is crap right now... But who else here is suffering in finding a job?

I graduated in May with a Bachelor of Science in Information and Computer Sciences - System Analysis and have been trying to find a job and have had no luck. I have a pud job working for Apple computers but am in search every day for a good job where I can use my knowledge.

Anyone else going through this? or am I worth no more than the piece of paper I graduated with?

Kel
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

I've got a pretty decent IT career including my last job, 8 years at Intel's IT Headquarters supporting servers and desktops. I just got a request to apply for a job that required more skills than at my Intel days at 1/4 the pay.

So yea, it's tough out there.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Just keep pluggin', friend. When I got out of college, back in the early 70s, it was about four or five years before I found a decent job. (I ended up working for the government.)

BTW, when I did get that job, my diploma wasn't a lot more than a piece of paper - it didn't matter what your degree was in, only that you had one. :) I doubt that computer skills will let you down in the long run.

Don D
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

The Army is always hiring :). It is pretty good, you get to travel to exotic places, meet interesting people and have the opportunity to kill them! :).

It does suck out there. My non-Army friends are having a tough time with their current jobs. Some are looking for news lines of work.

Good luck.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
TWabich

Post by TWabich »

I got RIFed from Sprint after nearly 35 years. Job market is pretty tough right now. Hang onto what you've got and be thankful for the benefits.

Bear :shock:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't know how you have been approaching your job search, but simply sending out resumes is not going to get you a good job, especially now - you have to go there in person and ask questions and sometimes be a pest. There are jobs out there, and for the right person a company will sometimes even create a job - but you have to either go find it or make it up yourself, and that's not easy.

Identify all the companys in our area (or are you willing to relocate?) who have a need for what you do, eliminate all those who are in BK or about to go under and then concentrate on the rest. Don't go to the personel mgr, go to the dept head and talk to him/her first.

I'm sure you've been thru the school you graduated from's job counselor, but maybe you need to spend some time with some of the prof's and see if they know someone...

The best jobs I ever got were not gotten thru an ad in the paper or dumb luck, but by talking to people till I found someone who needed me, or knew someone who did.

Good luck! If you have mad skills, you can find a great job, but it will take plenty of hard work and perseverance on your part............
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
JohnBLZ

Re: Our Economy is this bad! Am I the only one?

Post by JohnBLZ »

longlivekel wrote:Ok guys..
We all know the economy is crap right now... But who else here is suffering in finding a job?

I graduated in May with a Bachelor of Science in Information and Computer Sciences - System Analysis and have been trying to find a job and have had no luck. I have a pud job working for Apple computers but am in search every day for a good job where I can use my knowledge.

Anyone else going through this? or am I worth no more than the piece of paper I graduated with?

Kel
A few things come to mind...

1) Where are all you applying? Also, like mentioned above, how are you applying?

2) Where did you graduate from? Are you utilizing the resources from that school to network out and find a position?

3) This is a job market that benefits the employers, not the employees. In an environment like KC where the IT employee labor pool is somewhat saturated (from the layoffs at Sprint/Yellow etc etc), you're going to have much better luck networking into a position than you will throwing your resume at a job on a webboard.

4) Have you explored the possibility of moving up in your current position?
petek

Post by petek »

Go to the library and get yourself a copy of Dan Miller's "48 Days to the Job You Love" (or order one up at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/48-Days-Work-You- ... 0805431888)

Most colleges and universities don't do a very good job of teaching their students how to do a proper job search. "48 days" does a great job of teaching how to do everything from writing a resume to hunting for a job.

Like Dave notes... networking will find you employment much faster than any other method. It would be luck, rather than skill, to find a meaningful job via Monster.com or the ads in the KC Star.

And finally... remember getting your foot in the door to something much better later on is a sure-fire way to success. I've had two great careers by starting at the bottom and letting my performance take me to the top - and both times I started the career in poor economic times! (Come to think of it... I've started my third career in poor economic times too!)

Best wishes on your job hunt!
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

For what its worth I have 20+ years in Management, 15 years in Finance, 10 years in Real Estate and Negotiations. I have a Master's in Marketing, a Bachelor's in Business Administration and Certification in Property Management and Project Management as well as a License for a Life Insurance Producer, a Kansas Realtors License and a Broker's License and I was laid off from 2 major companies in 5 years.

The market is incredibly difficult right now, here are the facts:

1. Yes, there are jobs but you competing against your piers and others in the market already with experience.

2. There are others vastly more qualified in the market who are unemployed and will gladly accept anything, even less just to have a job to cover their bills.

3. This means that employers are getting so much more for less on the employers who are hiring.

4. Also just because a job listed, doesn't mean there really is a position available, companies run ads for a variety of reasons.

(EXAMPLE: They may run an ad to see who is out there to replace an employee or they may run the ad to abide by a company policy which requires it but they already have a person either internally or by reference for the position or they may run an ad to see what type of qualifications they need and who reponds to determine the criteria for a possible positon or they may run the ad for expansion in their company/group or they may run the ad simply to have a position open and then when the company has a lay-off they can claim that position as one being eliminated, thus not losing anyone or atleast as many people so the work load doesn't over load those left afterwards.

I have seen all of these and even enacted them for some of the companies I have worked for in the past. Because of the current times I have 3 different jobs right now; one with a furniture company starting over (it covers the bills), the second my own company (to build for retirement) and a possible third company for future diversification to prevent starting over ever again.

Like I said I have been through the gauntlet in the professional world and I am only 40 so don't kid yourself about that piece of paper that says "diploma" you are only getting started. You will kick, fight and scrap to make a living especially right now. Take what you can get and be grateful, there are alot of people out there that will take whatever they can get.

The average person with a diploma graduating college right now can at best expect to make about $40K a year for a salary (realistically 20 - 25K). Salaries have not keep up with the times and now a master's or docturate is really needed if you are going to get ahead.

Sorry to sound like doom and gloom, congrats on the diploma it is a great achievement and be very proud, but now you need experience to balance out your education and that is what employers are going to want.

Good Luck :)
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

TWabich wrote:I got RIFed from Sprint after nearly 35 years. Job market is pretty tough right now. Hang onto what you've got and be thankful for the benefits.

Bear :shock:
Been there literally at Sprint and got the boot as well