17'' Tire Recommendations

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
JohnBLZ

17'' Tire Recommendations

Post by JohnBLZ »

I've finally hit the point where I can't limp by any more on the factory runflats. Any recommendations on 17'' tires? I don't think I want to go the runflat route again, though I have been saved with two flats while on them. The ride quality sucks.

Looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 vs the Potenza G 019 Grid. Everything I've read on the Kumho's screams stay away.

By the way, airing up a flat when it's -3F outside with a 25MPH wind out of the North is an experience I'd not like to repeat. First time in my life I got eye on my eyelids and had frozen wind tears on my sunglasses.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Several of us have the Kumho Ecxsta ASX UHP All Seasons and have had terrific good results with them - me included. I have about 15K on mine with no issues, wear has been very good and they grip like mad (yes, I'm a "spirited" driver :lol: ) and the one thing I like the best? They're so quiet I can't hear them!

Their snow perfromance is just adequate, but they really work well in the rain as well as dry conditions. I bought the 215/45 - 17's and have no issues with rubbing either, just FYI.

I don't know anything about the two tires you've mentioned so I can't offer anything constructive on those. I've had other Bridgestones and while I really liked the grip and the turn in response, I found they got noisey as they wore, and the performance dropped off considerably as they aged. I got about 30K out of a set of 950's on my Lexus ES.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

Those Kumho's grip well in the snow?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

As I wrote above......."Their snow performance is just adequate"

I never got stuck anywhere, and they don't feel scary slick, but they're no snow tire - none of the all seasons are tho. I've gotten around fine on them so far this season and last. If we lived in Colorado or somewhere where I did a lot of snow driving - I'd have regular snow tires, but these are fine for the winter we get.

I do like the wet weather grip - I think they work really well in rain and dry conditions...... and they are so quiet.......

Just bear in mind, any all season tire is going to be compromised somewhere - I'd rather compromise on snow capabilities, since it's the smallest component of weather driving we get here.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

This is like the echo of my tire post about a month back!

I too was jumping between the Eagle F1, Potenza Grid, and the ASX's. I ended up ordering the Eagle F1's. Tire Rack did a nice real-snow test and the Eagle F1's came out on top for snow traction. They also had the highest treadwear rating of the tires listed. I had them installed last week and they seem great so far.

Note though that since its a "high performance" tire Goodyear does not offer any sort of treadwear warranty for the tire. This seemed to be the case for all the tires I was looking at.

Based on reviews I found positives and negatives for all the 3 tire options. The ASX's seemed to have the largest amount of poor reviews, several Subaru sites had some hellacious experiences with them. However, several people here had good experiences, so it was kind of a wash.