Brakes

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Brakes

Post by ddmini »

The Brake wear light came on today and sure enough the front pads are worn way down. I am at 56,000 miles and the rears are worn pretty far down as well. I am planning replacing all 4 rotors and pads. I called Baron and they want $622 for parts. That seem a bit high to me, any ideas?
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
Tom D

Post by Tom D »

Call Classic MINI in Mentor Ohio, 440-942-7500, ask for MINI parts. If they don't beat Baron's price (shipping included) I'll eat my MINI! Just tell Classic you are a new customer who found them on the internet.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

You can definitely go aftermarket for cheaper and usually better stuff!! I would look at Way Motorworks or Minspeed for some good aftermarket pads and discs.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There are a lot of choices out there, just do a little internet searching.......

I'm thinking of changing out the pads in the Clubowski, I only have to drive a mile or so after washing my car and the wheels are already black!

I hear good things about EBC Greens.......

BTW, if you're so easy on your brakes that this is your first set, I doubt you need to splurge on vented, cross drilled, cryo-frozen rotors - stock ones will do nicely.

BTW2, did the $622 include your club discount?

BTW3 Don't forget to buy 2 new sensors
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Is there a difference between stock JustaCooper and "S" pads and rotors? If not, I might have a little something for ya. :wink:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Atlantic British has the EBC pad and rotor kits for $500 total, go here........

http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3055.cfm

I think that's what Davester put on his S and was quite happy with them
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yes, that's what we installed on Stubby.The EBC green with slotted rotors. Very low dust and stop great. I also recommend stainless steel brake lines for stopping power. Watch the Atlantic British web site because they put this package on sale quite often. This is the package I bought:

http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3059.cfm
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Minidave

This will be the 2nd set on the front, the first were done by Baron under warranty at about 27,000.

The $622 does not include the club discount but does include the sensors.

Davester,

Do the EBC pads have a slot for the sensor?
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
David & Debra
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

someone say brakes............. :D

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote: I'm thinking of changing out the pads in the Clubowski, I only have to drive a mile or so after washing my car and the wheels are already black!

I hear good things about EBC Greens.......
I switched my front pads to EBC greens. Good stopping power and low dust :cheers:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

ragtopday wrote:Is there a difference between stock JustaCooper and "S" pads and rotors? If not, I might have a little something for ya. :wink:
I have been looking around the various MINI parts vendors and it looks like they use the same front pads for the R50/52/53.

Minidave, Davester, thanks for those links. For the way I drive I do not need the $$$ big brake kits and I think that kit that Davester put on his would be perfect. Hey if I can save $100 and get less brake dust than the MINI parts that sounds like a great deal :D
David & Debra
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yes, the EBC Green Pads DO have slots for the sensors both front and rear--
By the way, I painted the green part RED to match the calipers---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Brakes

Post by davester »

free shipping at Atlantic British

MiniCarParts.net - Your Online Source for MINI Cooper Parts and Accessories
This Weekend Only - Receive No Cost Shipping On Web Orders Over $250 Through 4/6/09

No-Cost Shipping This Weekend Only!

Save Big with No-Cost Ground Shipping* on Web orders of $250 or more through 4/6/09.

Start Shopping now by selecting a category to the right...

Hundreds of Products to Choose From - Place Your Order and Get No-Cost Shipping* Today!

*No-Cost Shipping offered for ground service only on retail web orders within the contiguous lower 48 United States only. Offer not valid on items that ship via truck freight. Certain heavyweight or large products are also excluded from this offer. Call toll-free 800-533-2210 for details. Atlantic British Ltd. reserves the right to choose the ground shipping service for delivery (UPS or FedEx).

Hurry - Special Web Offer Good Through 4/6/09

Hundreds of Parts & Accessories for Your MINI Cooper

* Performance Upgrades & Kits
* Custom Accessories
* Standard & OEM Parts

CALL TOLL-FREE 1-800-533-2210 or Visit
http://www.MiniCarParts.net

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Now they have free shipping :? Unfortunately my order was delivered Wednesday, which gives me something to do Saturday!
David & Debra
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I would have liked to help you but we are doing a valve cover gasket at Minidave's house Sat. Do you have the tool for the rear calipers? I have it if you need to borrow it---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You're certainly welcome to come on over and we'll give you a hand, PM me for address and cell phone # if you want to come over. I also have the rear brake tool............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

yea, it'll be fun---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Soopercooperinfo

Post by Soopercooperinfo »

We have a large number of aftermarket parts sources that include brakes on our site. Hope it helps.
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

Davester, Minidave, thanks for the offer. My dad came over and we made it a father/son day. It only took us about 5 hours and that was taking time out for lunch and a couple of test drives. It would have probably taken an hour less if I did it by myself :D Now that I know what I'm doing it will be much quicker next time.
David & Debra
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great, glad you got it all done...........sounds like you guys had a good day.

We got Davester's "cylinder head cover" gasket replaced with virtually no drama, and very little blood! :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

yea, I lost only one bolt. No biggie I guess. Mark came over to my house and we changed his valve cover gasket too. Getting to be a pro now. Only three hours and a couple of beers and we had it made with no parts leftover :lol:

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"