It begins...

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: It begins...

Post by minicoopers43 »

No, not free. Most stuff i can get atleast 40% off retail.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Not bad. I still maintain that factory Garmin refurbs are a great deal.

The models that are compatible with that dongle don't have MP3 players though. :(
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

Spart wrote:Blue Meanie also has the "as much chrome as possible" package. He's even got chrome scratch guards behind the door handles, and chrome caps for the sprayer nozzles on the hood.
If you want to get rid of some of that chrome I will gladly take it off your hands. :mrgreen: I actually want to put the chrome package on my MINI as it looks awesome with the green on green. mirrors, grill inserts, rear chrome hatch bezel, just about all of it.

On the speedo note. My speedo is spot on on my MINI. the gauge is just calibrated weird. instead of the value being the front side of the make it is the back side of the mark that is the correct reading. I have found this to be a trend on most MINIs I've driven.

Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Nah, mines about 3mph off, not just the width of the needle......

I drove one service loaner that was 7mph off!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

There are two kinds of errors you can have with speedometers, and depending on the car you may experience one or both of them:

Ratio error: when the rate at which the wheels spin is off by a certain percentage. This very common and can be caused by changing differential gearing, different tire sizes, tire wear, and having an improper gear in the speedometer (if mechanical and not electronic.)

Examples: You have a 3% positive ratio error. At 25mph indicated, this is barely noticeable as you will actually be going 25.75mph. At 75mph indicated, however, you will be going 77.25mph and this will be noticeable.

Display error: when the tick marks on the speedometer are not physically in the correct location. This can be caused by improper adjustment from the factory, bad design, or our old friend parallax.

Examples: You're going 76mph (indicated) as viewed from the driver seat in a MINI. From the passenger seat, however, it appears that the car is going 74mph. This is parallax error.

You have to wonder if the BMW folks did something to combat the parallax error that didn't turn out quite right, resulting in the discrepancies people report.

ETA: also, wonder if they change the speedometer at all between models with different sizes of tire? As programmable as these are you would think that it's just a setting in the computer. In my buddy's mustang, he can set wheel revolutions per mile with his SCT flasher.
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

ksminiman wrote:
Spart wrote:Blue Meanie also has the "as much chrome as possible" package. He's even got chrome scratch guards behind the door handles, and chrome caps for the sprayer nozzles on the hood.
If you want to get rid of some of that chrome I will gladly take it off your hands. :mrgreen: I actually want to put the chrome package on my MINI as it looks awesome with the green on green. mirrors, grill inserts, rear chrome hatch bezel, just about all of it.
Source me a black or EB hood scoop and I'll trade you straight across for the chrome one!
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

forgot that he doesn't have most of the pieces I'm after. I doubt I'd find either color. I have BRG :)
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Blue Meanie has a bunch of chrome bits in random places, like the washer nozzles for instance. Also some on the inside. If I get down to KC to an event, you'll have to check it out. Some of the chrome interior bits are definitely going as well.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I might very well be interested in the interior chrome. I have anthracite trim to I am sure you will favor that.
Hi. My name is Tommy.