R53s with underdrive?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

R53s with underdrive?

Post by ksminiman »

Im curious how many people on here who have R53 MINIs or the supercharged MINIs have underdrive pulleys and how underdriven are you?

I just installed my ALTA V2 15% underdrive pulley and love it. I am curious what kind of MPGs everyone is getting with the underdrives and also if spark plugs were changed to the colder plugs or not. I have not changed my plugs yet and everything seems to be running fine for now. Plugs are in the near future but for my simple cruising back and forth to school I figure they should be fine for a few weeks.

Please post what youve got :D
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Punk_Mini

Re: R53s with underdrive?

Post by Punk_Mini »

Stick with the OEM crank pulley preferably 05-06 Crank pulley as its 3lbs lighter then the 02-04 or go with an ATI Performance Parts SuperDamper Crank pulley.
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

I'm confused. Why would you want an underdrive pulley? That would negatively affect performance.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yeah, I think he has his terms confused, it's an overdrive pulley - it's undersized tho....at least the one on the supercharger is.

The JCW pulley is just under 15% smaller than stock, FYI. 14.7% IIRC....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

There's a lot of debate on that Dave, and most people figure it to be closer to 12%.

There are some overdrive crank pulleys available, I was thinking of getting one of those until I found out the JCW pulley is larger (less overdriven, lower % reduction) than some claim.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Here is the overall diameter that every machinist that makes every possible pulley to be used on the factory M45 Supercharger uses.

% Dia. mm
0- 65.50 - STOCK

10- 58.95
11- 58.30 - JCW
12- 57.64
13- 56.99
13.2- 56.85
14- 56.33
15- 55.68
16- 55.02
17- 54.37
18- 53.71
19- 53.06
Last edited by Punk_Mini on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

By gearing terminology the supercharger would be overdrive and the crank underdrive. Regardless I got a 15% smaller supercharger pulley and it screams! It winds the supercharger up so much faster and it is considerably louder. The pull under acceleration is awesome! now I just need an intake and exhaust to complement the extra airflow needs. Think I am planning an ALTA intake (for money reasons) and a JCW exhaust. I dont want it to be too loud as my last car was borderline obnoxious and I like the sound the JCW puts out. it is not too much but not too little.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

thank you for that info Punk. I have been wondering what the diameter differences were. I didnt bother to measure when I pulled my old one off. It was too late too bother.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Pulleys are ancient as are the debates over them all. 15% proven for anyone, 16% just a hair smaller then the 15% and for anyone, 17% is the sweet spot for high rpms in combination with Big valve head and water/meth, 19% is rediculous and turns the SC into a hair dryer.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

dont think it could be said better
Hi. My name is Tommy.
monza

Post by monza »

ksminiman wrote:
I am curious what kind of MPGs everyone is getting with the underdrives and also if spark plugs were changed to the colder plugs or not. I have not changed my plugs yet and everything seems to be running fine for now.
I have a 15% pulley and run standard NGK plugs. Engine also has CAI, Borla, and custom tune. Have been running them for 2 years now. No knocking and I did not notice any performance difference between them and the god-awfully expensive BMW 4 electrode plugs. Standard heat on mine. Im not a subscriber to the fancy plug theory. I had a SAAB running 20psi of boost on standard NGK R plugs and it ran the best with them.

MPG... 25 average around town. I can push 30+ in town if I 'hypermiler' it, but that is too much effort to do all the time.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

When I'm doing laps at HPT, my factory JCW MCS R53 averages 9 mpg. If I'm really hammering it, 8.2 mpg. :shock: :lol: Out on the open highway, I get 30 mpg w/cruise control at 74mph. In town, anywhere from 19-24, depending upon the leadfoot and whether I occassionally get it onto an interstate or just residential streets and urban stop & go.

I didn't get a JCW with fuel efficiency in mind.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I'd recommend the JCW plugs (colder) since you did the pulley. Don't buy from BMW.

According to my JCW Certificate of Authenticity they are NGK BKR 7EQUP. I think when i did my plugs they were 8 bucks a piece online at sparkplugs.com.

I think i read somewhere that the plugs help with the smaller pulley and the more air going into the engine which is why the JCW comes with the colder plugs. Either way, for 32 bucks if they dont work out, I'll buy em from you for my JCW. :D
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I'm using the colder NGK plugs as well with my 15% Alta. The stock # 2667 BKR7EIX Iridium IX. I bought the plugs at Advance Auto Parts for $7.00 each. This stock # (2667) superseded other #'s for the colder plug as per NGK customer service a year ago.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
monza

Post by monza »

EQUP are the 4 electrode plugs with platinum center
EIX are a single electrode with super fine tip center.
E V-groved center electrode
I think i read somewhere that the plugs help with the smaller pulley and the more air going into the engine which is why the JCW comes with the colder plugs.
Colder plugs are better because you are increasing cylinder pressures and temps, the colder plug dissipates heat quicker from the center electrode, transferring that heat to the head, reducing pre-ignition. Its insurance against knocking to help keep the engine motoring longer :wink: The performance benefits are debatable. Theory holds that at higher pressures, you need a smaller surface area of the electrodes to create a more concentrated spark as the fuel air mix gets more difficult to ignite. The theory behind the 4 electrode plug is that you provide more opportunity for the spark to jump depending on where the path of least resistance is through the air/fuel mix (and contrary to popular interwebs opinion, there is still only one spark, not four).

Just some anectotal evidence, a buddy of mine did some dyno runs at MC Racing in Merriam a few years back on his 944 Turbo and found no difference between Bosch 4 electrode and single electrode Platinums, and this is a car with nearly 300hp at the wheel. EQUP, EIX, or E for performance in our cars? dunno. What I do know is that my car runs great with either of the three.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

this is great information! Thank you all for the feedback. I plan to switch to the colder plugs however I just haven't had time or money. My biggest concern was the adaptability of the computer in these cars. Obviously it is top notch.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Yep and you either want to be 1 step or 2 steps colder depending on your boost and redline. I learned the lesson of only using a 1 step colder plug and with a redline starting at 7500 and revlimiter at 8000. The amount of heat produced when running 16psi into the stock head which is a pretty large bottleneck for flow. Which causes heat to not dissipate as it normally does through the head because the coolant can only carry so much heat. So what happens is heat builds and overtime it fatigues components which eventually let go and can cause a ring to fail and create a chain reaction that leads to this.

Now the solution is to have a head that is setup to support a higher rate of flow both intake and exhaust. Because the least resistance into the motor produces the least amount of additional heat that is already produced in combustion. Also every factory head is totally different from the next
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

A good tune helps too, he he. :D