MINI Takes the States 2010

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Takes the States 2010

Post by DA MINI »

Read the book "KNOW BEFORE YOU GO "from MINI and noticed that the route from Dodge City to Denver is an eight hour plus trip! I had done a mapquest for Dodge to Denver and was given a route that is only 51/2 hours. I'll be taking the short way, but will miss the special suprise in Oakley. You can pretty much do KC to Denver in nine hours.
Mr. F56
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

i haven't read thru the kbyg email link yet. but if they have a surprise n oakly.. it's probably the gigantic bronze statue's i spoke of n an earlier post. they r pretty kewl, we bought our 2way's n target. i forget the cost.. $30-40 buck's i think for the two together. they r cobra's.. work'd pretty good while up n denver where we bought them. just keep ur distance close to the group.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

DA MINI wrote:Read the book "KNOW BEFORE YOU GO "from MINI and noticed that the route from Dodge City to Denver is an eight hour plus trip! I had done a mapquest for Dodge to Denver and was given a route that is only 51/2 hours. I'll be taking the short way, but will miss the special suprise in Oakley. You can pretty much do KC to Denver in nine hours.
See page 24 - the surprise is a lemonade stand, apparently.

I'd really like to head out west from Dodge City on US 50 all the way to I-25 instead of going up to I-70. Still might do that...reviewing my options, but the thought of being in a caravan of several hundred MINIs tooling down the road on final approach to Denver is very appealing.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

DA MINI wrote:Read the book "KNOW BEFORE YOU GO "from MINI and noticed that the route from Dodge City to Denver is an eight hour plus trip!
All their times are long. STL to KC on I-70 is 6 hours?!?!?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Think about the logistics of moving that many cars in a group, and I can easily see it taking this many hours to get there.....

As appealing as it would be to be part of that huge group (and I agree, it is!) that's why we decided to go on ahead.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:Think about the logistics of moving that many cars in a group, and I can easily see it taking this many hours to get there.....

As appealing as it would be to be part of that huge group (and I agree, it is!) that's why we decided to go on ahead.......
That's a key reason why I'm not staying in any of the recommended hotels! :D
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

DA MINI wrote:Read the book "KNOW BEFORE YOU GO "from MINI and noticed that the route from Dodge City to Denver is an eight hour plus trip! I had done a mapquest for Dodge to Denver and was given a route that is only 51/2 hours. I'll be taking the short way, but will miss the special suprise in Oakley. You can pretty much do KC to Denver in nine hours.
KBYG is filled with errors and typos, I've noticed. Too many to count.

I'm just hoping it is mostly accurate. I've been to most of these cities early before, so I know my way around. Dodge will be a new experience for me, and I've only been to Denver once.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I don't think you're meant to stay in one mass MINI horde. It is a rally type of event. See who gets to the meet point first. :wink:
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

I tried downloading the attachment for the kbyg deal but it completely locked up my puter 3x. Adobe could only see the first page ...never had this problem before with anything. Soooo... if there is anything of huge importance to know, someone please let me know. Pretty sure I have the basic info of where to meet Thurs morn. Other than that we should be good...I think...lol. Haven't seen where Baron is having their snow cone thing on Wed though????
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

getsalot wrote:I tried downloading the attachment for the kbyg deal but it completely locked up my puter 3x. Adobe could only see the first page ...never had this problem before with anything. Soooo... if there is anything of huge importance to know, someone please let me know. Pretty sure I have the basic info of where to meet Thurs morn. Other than that we should be good...I think...lol. Haven't seen where Baron is having their snow cone thing on Wed though????
I think things start up on Wed at the dealership at 2pm. I think they are doing everything there, or somewhere close-by if necessary.

Not sure why you had probs with KBYG -- I got it with no problem.

Here's the details from the KC to Dodge City page:

Route:
Departure time: 9:00am
1. Today’s drive from Kansas to Dodge City will be about 340 miles and will take approximately 7.5 hours.
2. From the Church you will need to head north on Strange Line Rd and then hang a left on 119th. From there you want to head south on Interstate 35 for 93 miles.
3. Just AFTER Emporia you should exit off I 35 to Exit 127A on to US 50 heading west.
4. The Underground Salt Museum, (8th Wonder of Kansas) is along this off-the-beaten route. 650 feet below the ground is one of the largest salt mines in the world. The two and a half hour tour is full of hangar-sized room, a historic museum and a short rail car tour.
5. Start slowing down once you reach Kinsley KS. Just west of the city will be the halfway point of the United States, exactly 1561 miles to New York, 1561 miles to San Francisco.
6. Stop there to take a picture to commemorate your visit!
7. After your picture in Kinsley let’s get to Boot Hill! Continue west on US 50 until you reach US 283 and make a left. We are headed to Dodge City – 5 miles around the bend and we are there!
8. Follow Wyatt Earp drive past Boot Hill Cemetery to The Dodge House Hotel
9. You should expect to be in Dodge City about 4:30pm.
10. What would an evening in Dodge City with stopping by Boot Hill Cemetery?? Meander down to Boot Hill at 7:00pm for dinner and a few possible surprises.
11. For the drive off tomorrow morning from the Dodge House Hotel, head east on Wyatt Earp Blvd back to Boot Hill Cemetery.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Wow, awesome...thx bunches for the copy. Had no idea they were go'n that route. We tried seeing the salt mine's a few yr's ago, but they weren't open yet. We'll have to make another trip to see the mine's though. Following on to Dodge via their route but then go'n on to la Junta, CO to stay the night.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I got my walkie taklies for the trip today. :) Woot
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What kind did you get?

I've started a list of stuff to take - our poor MINI may weigh 4,000 lbs by the time we get all loaded up! :shock: :? :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I got some cheap-ish Motorola ones that take rechargable or AA batteries. :) Figured that would be better than just rechargeable.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
WHUTFUN
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by WHUTFUN »

On a road trip it is not about the destination it's about the journey. That is how we approach it. See some new sites and experience the area. I-70 is nothing but concrete and semi traffic. If it were not down a dirt road, Mount Sunflower, the "official" highest point in Kansas, is very near where we are crossing into Colorado at Weskan, Kansas http://www.kansasphototour.com/mtsunflo.htm Just another needless photo-op if you don't mind getting the Mini pretty dusty.
sundance wrote:Just to let people know - the "official" MTTS route from KC to Dodge City will not be taking I-70. Granted, there is no event planned in Dodge so feel free to get there however you want - or even head directly to CO- but most of the group will be traveling off the beaten path via 50 across KS. Looks like about 5 to 5 1/2 hours either way you go.

And, as of today - July 10 - there is somewhere between 300-400 people registered to be in KC for MTTS festivities. There will be a stop at Baron (2PM-5PM on Wed., Aug. 11) for sno-cones and a possible charity car wash. Then, maps will be given for a "tour" of our famous K-5. I imagine groups will leave to drive the K-5 on an impromptu basis i.e. this is a own your own tour just kind of like being at the Dragon. Drive the K-5 if and when you would like that afternoon and if others are going at the same time, then great. Finally, Boulevard Brewery is working on scheduling some tours that afternoon. More info on that will be posted in the next week.
We cannot join everyone until later in the afternoon Wednesday and hope to get to Baron before the group heads out on tour? Anyway we can get a KC route map if we do not get there in a timely manner before the group heads out? Coming over from the Manhattan area and have to work until mid-afternoon. Have not seen the Boulevard Brewery posting for the pub crawl?
Jane and Steve - 2013 S Convertible. Reef Blue-black top with white/ivory interior. Quick Silver exhaust with JCW Tune Kit for more SPUNK. Lots of chrome and goodies. This is Jane's second dream car and dressed to show it.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

WHUTFUN wrote: We cannot join everyone until later in the afternoon Wednesday and hope to get to Baron before the group heads out on tour? Anyway we can get a KC route map if we do not get there in a timely manner before the group heads out? Coming over from the Manhattan area and have to work until mid-afternoon. Have not seen the Boulevard Brewery posting for the pub crawl?
Baron is coordinating all of the activities. You might try calling Samer at (913) 722-5100 and ask if someone will hold on to a map for you. No information has been shared on what time Boulevard Brewery tours are being held.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

To anyone coming via I-70W to Denver - PM me because depending on the time of day (after 5pm) you pass through Hays I may be off work except for wednesday I have my EMT-B class I would be up for meeting up to give you a break from driving.
WHUTFUN
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by WHUTFUN »

[quote="ragtopday
Baron is coordinating all of the activities. You might try calling Samer at (913) 722-5100 and ask if someone will hold on to a map for you. No information has been shared on what time Boulevard Brewery tours are being held.[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestion. Do not know why that did not occur to me. Sent Samer a quick e-mail and if we do not hear in a day will give him a call.
Jane and Steve - 2013 S Convertible. Reef Blue-black top with white/ivory interior. Quick Silver exhaust with JCW Tune Kit for more SPUNK. Lots of chrome and goodies. This is Jane's second dream car and dressed to show it.
WHUTFUN
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by WHUTFUN »

Got a quick reply from Samer and he covered my questions. I guess the Brewery tour is off due to a conflict they have that same day/time.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Does anyone going from KC to Dodge City want to stop in hutchinson and check out the Air and Space museum?
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

seen the museum already and the state fair, just lacking the tour of the salt mine....lol infact, still have a bi-plane red baron kite hang'n n my garage that we bought at the museum.
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

is the snow cone thing still at 2pm tomrw??
gasmini03
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gasmini03 »

getsalot wrote:seen the museum already and the state fair, just lacking the tour of the salt mine....lol infact, still have a bi-plane red baron kite hang'n n my garage that we bought at the museum.
The salt mine tour is good, we did a tour this last spring with the WAMO group. They even have the car that Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) rode in to film that episode on display in the mine.
MiniReD1

Post by MiniReD1 »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:I got some cheap-ish Motorola ones that take rechargable or AA batteries. :) Figured that would be better than just rechargeable.
Hey Steph..was wondering how long you think you may be at Baron today? I'm going to try to make it by there.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniReD1 wrote:
Counterfit_Mini wrote:I got some cheap-ish Motorola ones that take rechargable or AA batteries. :) Figured that would be better than just rechargeable.
Hey Steph..was wondering how long you think you may be at Baron today? I'm going to try to make it by there.

I'm going to try to get there about 2. Don't know when I'm going to leave...maybe around 4 or 5
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000