Supercharger Maintenance?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Supercharger Maintenance?

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of maintenance of the 1st Gen (R53 and R52) superchargers, specifically replacing/filling the gear oil?

This site give an explanation of the process.
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/disp ... il+Service

This is a lot more than I have the skill set to accomplish. Anyone know if KC Autosport will do this work? Or other independent shops in town?

Thanks!
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Supercharger Maintenance?

Post by Minidave »

They should, but it's not really necessary. If the seals are bad and it's low on juice, filling it up again won't give it much extra life - if any. I think you'd be smarter to go ahead and have it rebuilt or replaced. Likewise if it's still full, the fluid is not like engine oil, it doesn't need to be replaced. I think it's money that could be spent better in other places......

If I had an R53 and was planning to keep it, I'd consider investing in a replacement supercharger and water pump, while they're still available and reasonably priced, and I'd wrap it up and set it on the shelf - then I'd drive the one on the car till it dies.

The life of the supercharger was supposed to be about 100K, but there are a lot of cars still on the original with well over 150 or even 200K.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)