R55 non-S Mods

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Clubby Clutch

R55 non-S Mods

Post by Clubby Clutch »

This is my first post to the forum. I just joined after the Sonic Drive-In on Thursday. I had the BRG Clubman.
I would like to start moding my car this summer as I make some money from a summer job. Any good things I should do for my car. (non-S)
I was looking at VIP CUSTOMS out of Scottsdale, Arizona at some parts. Especially the AIR VIP 2 and 2.5 combo (CAI) as well as the exhaust system. Anyone heard of em'?
Please let me know of some things that would be recommended.

-Clubby Clutch
Nick S

"Brittany" :brg: 2009 British Racing Green Clubman w/ Silver and Bonnet Stripes
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: R55 non-S Mods

Post by Minidave »

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of performance things you can do for a non-S, but certainly a good C-A intake and open exhaust would sound better, if not make any real HP difference.

I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but if they're out of Phoenix, I can ask my son who lives there if he's familiar with them - he has an '04 JCW so he's in the MINI community too.

And welcome to the madness, Nick!

Edit: Found their website. Hmmm.....they claim 5 hp from an intake. I haven't found that to be true on the non-S, but hey, if it sounds faster and feels faster, maybe it is?!?!?! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

There are a few performance mods you can do to a non-S, even (gasp) a CVT!

I have an aFe CAI and it growls, I like the sound very much. I also have a JCW exhaust, which made a noticeable difference. You could also do a software upgrade to get a little more performance from your car. I have the JCW sound kit upgrade, don't think that's available on newer models?

While some will tell you it's not worth it to mod a non-S, I certainly think it is. My last dyno was great--almost 100 hp. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I asked the lovely Dee Motored from Phoenix if she knew of that company. She did and said Van is a great guy!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Sound and feel, but only slight performance increases. Sound and feel is good, though! :)
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili: