Review Continental ExtremeContact DWS 17"

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
cdecker78

Review Continental ExtremeContact DWS 17"

Post by cdecker78 »

Background: I have a 2009 Clubman S that came factory with the 16" bridgespoke rims and the Continental Run Flat tires (195/55r16) I purchased a set of Konig Illusion 17" wheels and Continental ExtremeContact DWS (215/45ZR17) from discounttiredirect.com. I found out that the cost to mount and balance said tires and wheels and pulling the TPMS from he old wheels is no cheap task.

First impressions: WOW! I should have gotten rid of the run flats when they had 10 miles on them. It is truly a night and day driving experience. The smaller bumps in the road are almost fully absorbed by these new tires. The larger bumps no longer make the car seem like it will rattle apart. The ride was a lot quieter as well. I no longer have to crank up the freshly installed MTX speakers to fully enjoy them. As for the rumors of them having super soft sidewalls... well my impressions are... that may be true on the 16" Continental ExtremeContact DWS but the 17" is not too soft. Yes they seem a little squishy but they are brand new and will need to be heat cycled.

Overall: These tires in a 17" do probably have a firm enough sidewall. Some of the squishy feeling I feel is from the brand new tread and not enough runtime on them as of yet. If you are looking at these tires for a 16"application you may be better looking for something else like the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.

I will update more once I get more mile on them.
ESS

Re: Review Continental ExtremeContact DWS 17"

Post by ESS »

I sold my runflats after 1000 miles and put the Conti's ExtremeContact DWS 16" on my 2010 Clubman. Whoa, what a difference. Road noise down significantly, much smoother ride too. Corners very nice even at high speed. Now if I could just get rid of the torque steer and the front end wiggle that pulls the steering wheel out of your hand when you hit a bump or hole...

Oh yes, bought the doughnut spare and rear kit incase of a flat.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

ESS, you can buy a factory "torque steer retrofit" thru the dealer - it's really just a software change, but I'd be interested to see how well it works. IIRC it was only $165, far cheaper than a limited slip diff would be, if they offered one or you bought an aftermarket unit.

My car is an automatic so it really doesn't present a problem for me.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I've got the 16" version of these tires and I just took them on a test drive in the snow around my house. Roads are mostly plowed (about 3" on them). Took the MINI around the block a couple times, took a couple turns a little fast and the back end barely slid around. Stability control came on twice on the same hill that had a bit more snow on it. All in all I'm pretty happy with these tires for high performance all seasons. Was able to take the side streets at 20mph without a problem.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I got these tires last week (215/45ZR17) and I absolutely hate them! I only have 300 miles on them and I know they still need to be broken in but i don't even feel safe driving them they're so squishy. Someone on NAM described them as riding on mashed potatoes! They have gotten slightly better over the 300 miles but when my DSC comes on when making a fast lane change on the highway I don't feel safe. The only plus to riding on mashed potatoes is no noise and bumps are absorbed better.
I will be returning these for sure.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

Over inflate these tires to 38-39 psi and wait about a thousand miles they will stiffen up. Mine have 12,000 miles on them now and the have firmed up a lot.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Have to say, after having them on this winter I hated them in the snow. Really unsafe on the highway. My stock runflats were better. And they're wearing faster than I expected. :(
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
kindofblue

Post by kindofblue »

Thus far with just ~1000 miles on them my 17 inchers at 39psi are feeling great.

Just spent the last weekend doing two round trips to Lake of the Ozarks and to St Louis; in both cases they cruised nice and quiet on the freeway, as well as providing acceptable stickiness in the country roads around the lake. I'm really satisfied, I have to say. Plus, I sized up a little (215-45-17) and the way they fill out the wheelarches is NICE. Almost makes it look like a rally car :lol:

Be forewarned: if you get these tires the first three hundred miles or so will be ALARMINGLY SQUIRMY. Like buyer's regret what-have-I-done level squirmy.

That's why so many forum people return them after one day. Fortunately I had read about this on NAM and waited; by about 800 miles the mold release compound should be gone and mine feel pretty doggone good. Again, mine are 17 inches; the 16 inch crowd seems to be more consistently dissatisfied with the Contis' performance.

Should you go into the DWS purchase, just keep the mindset that it will take some time for the tires to firm up and de-squirm, as well as you may be trading from summer tires to all weathers and may be sacrificing some of that sportiness. However, you will no longer spray your coffee over the dashboard when you run over a nickel, and your kidneys will no longer rattle around your spine like dice in a Yahtzee cup.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I've had these tires for about 10,000 miles so far and they're still a little squirmy and I've over inflated them to 39 psi and it doesn't change a thing. Still wearing. If you go by the DWS wear bars they're no longer good for rain or snow.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:I've had these tires for about 10,000 miles so far and they're still a little squirmy and I've over inflated them to 39 psi and it doesn't change a thing. Still wearing. If you go by the DWS wear bars they're no longer good for rain or snow.
You have the 16" version right?
I would contact them because these tires have a 50,000 mile warranty I believe.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Free Replacement Period:
If an eligible Continental brand passenger or light truck tire becomes
unserviceable from a condition other than those listed under Section
5 during the first 12 months or first 2/32nds (1.6mm) of treadwear
(whichever comes first) it will be replaced with a comparable** new
Continental brand tire FREE OF CHARGE, including mounting and
balancing. Owner pays all applicable taxes.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Spart »

Minidave wrote:ESS, you can buy a factory "torque steer retrofit" thru the dealer - it's really just a software change, but I'd be interested to see how well it works. IIRC it was only $165, far cheaper than a limited slip diff would be, if they offered one or you bought an aftermarket unit.

My car is an automatic so it really doesn't present a problem for me.
The ELDC works amazingly well. I believe it just uses the existing traction control system which can apply the brakes independently to emulate a locking or limited slip differential. You don't notice it reducing power or anything like that. I think it just makes sure that both wheels spin at the same speed, so if one starts slipping it will grab it with the brakes until it's going the same speed as the other wheel, and thus transmit power through the open diff to the opposite wheel.

A bit like black magic, in other words. When I was car shopping, I looked at a Toyota FJ Cruiser that had a similar system, but meant for off-roading. I've read that it's pretty effective as well.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Back to the Conti DWS.....

Both the tires on my Clubman and the Audi Allroad were worn out, so I bit the bullet and ordered up two sets of these.

First impressions?

They're fine. They're quiet, smooth riding, and the car feels like it rolls more easily when I let off the gas; this is especially noticeable on the Audi with it's extra weight.

We drove the MINI about 150 miles right after picking the car up at the tire store - I did have them set the pressure at 39psi - and I did not notice any untoward behavior, we were on 435 and then some winding hilly country roads at hiway speeds - no problems there either.

I don't understand all the fuss, but I respect that a couple people have been very unhappy with these right out of the box. So far I'm happy with them......

Next report - when I get to Winter Park late Wed night.......that should be a trial by fire!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Do you have 17" or 16" wheels?

It might just be a thing with the 16". :?
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

17's, both cars......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:Do you have 17" or 16" wheels?

It might just be a thing with the 16". :?
Stephanie, if you read my post you would have seen...

"If you are looking at these tires for a 16" application you may be better looking for something else like the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S."
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Why are the 16's so much different than the 17"?
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:Why are the 16's so much different than the 17"?
The side walls are so much taller and the compound of these tires are a softer compound. Larger sidewall + Softer Compund = BAD... as for the wearing faster, it is because the MINI is so aggressive at cornering and the 16" tires tread has to compensate for the weaker/taller sidewalls. The Michelin has a thicker sidewall so that is why I said for 16" go Michelin.

If you have 17" wheels you have less sidewall to the tire so the softer sidewall gives you a nicer ride but is short enough to give you the performance as well. less sidewall = less flex... and over inflating makes it just right.
Clubby Clutch

Post by Clubby Clutch »

For 16" I plan on going with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in a 205/50/16. TireRack did recommend the DWS' too but said the Michelins would be a better drive. Costco has a great deal on them with lifetime nitrogen fill, rotation, and balancing.
MINIAC
MINIAC

cdecker78 wrote:
Counterfit_Mini wrote:Why are the 16's so much different than the 17"?
The side walls are so much taller and the compound of these tires are a softer compound. Larger sidewall + Softer Compund = BAD... as for the wearing faster, it is because the MINI is so aggressive at cornering and the 16" tires tread has to compensate for the weaker/taller sidewalls. The Michelin has a thicker sidewall so that is why I said for 16" go Michelin.

If you have 17" wheels you have less sidewall to the tire so the softer sidewall gives you a nicer ride but is short enough to give you the performance as well. less sidewall = less flex... and over inflating makes it just right.

In my defense, I did read your post....except the last sentence >.< That's my fault. I'll probably be getting new tires before winter.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Update.............1,000 miles later.

So far, so good. No noise issues, no "mashed potatoes" feeling, even with the car topper on and heavily loaded, and in some pretty stiff cross winds. I think these are going to work out well for me, we'll see as I get more miles on them but I have to say I'm happy with them so far.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

2nd update......5,000 miles in.

No problems, still balanced and smooth. I did a 2,000 mile trip a few weeks ago to Nashville then on to North Carolina. On the trip back I took winding secondary roads all the way from North Carolina to Springfield, Mo. and they performed exactly as I expected. Great control, smooth and great traction. I have to say I'm completely satisfied so far, I'll rotate them this week and try to get a handle on how the wear is.....

The next big challenge will come when the weather changes to winter and the sleet, ice and snow arrive! I'm in absolutely no hurry for that to happen....... :?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kindofblue

Post by kindofblue »

Agreed: ~6000 miles in and doing great with the 17 inch DWS. I actually lowered the psi when I was in San Antonio for a month, thinking they were riding a little hard.

Still satisfied--maybe a little less turn-in immediacy but NOWHERE NEAR the inital panic-marshmallow feel.

It's like when I put on Aquapel for the first time: I'm not looking forward to bad weather but I'm excited to see how the car does.