Mynes Tuned...Is your's? Mine's Broke!

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Punk_Mini

Mynes Tuned...Is your's? Mine's Broke!

Post by Punk_Mini »

So here is my situation with my car, the timeline of events as they occured. I hope everyone reads this word for word because it is the factual truth of how my car went from blown to built to blown in 10,000 miles.

January 2010 - Mynes Tuning tuned car

March 2010 - Stock motor with bolt-ons, melted a hole through piston #1 in 5,000 miles after tuning.

April-May 2010 - Talks begin with Mike Wong and Jayson Bowman of Mynes Tuning, Hubie Fuh of ABF Performance, ABF Motoring, MEGAmini USA. I was told “If I shipped the car to them I would have full support of ABF and Mynes throughout and after the project.”

May 2010 - Decision was made after considering all options at the time car was shipped via Magic Carpet Automotive Transport to Lake Forest, CA for work to be done by ABF and Mynes.

June 2010 - Flew out to Lake Forest, CA to pick up the car. I arrived to their shop where they were doing fluid checks before putting it on the dyno for break-in and tuning. I asked Jayson if they pumped out the old fuel out of the tank. He said “No, it will be fine” I said “Alright.”. Jayson spends the next 2 hours tuning after Hubie broke the motor in. During the tuning process I asked Jayson “Why are my numbers so low?” Jayson said “Don’t worry about the numbers, Just drive it and then you will know.” After that I drove home back to Kansas.

August 2010 - Car was acting up while in Colorado. Jayson dismissed it as the ECU having a mind of its own sometimes. First time I felt pushed aside no effort on his part was made to find out what was going on.

September 2010 -. Intially I had no clue what was going on with the car. It was erroding away cylinder #1’s spark plug grounding strap. After several attempts I got a hold of Hubie to ask him what was going on. Second time I felt pushed aside with no solution. I ended up having to troubleshoot myself and fixed it. Found out my ignition coil was dead and wasn’t replaced at rebuild

September 2010 - February 2011 - Only drove the car on the weekends (Friday Evening and Saturday) or if weather allowed (highways clear, not icy,)

March 2011 - Pre-North Carolina road trip maintenance and check-up.
First compression test
#1 - 150psi
#2 - 150psi
#3 - 110psi
#4 - 150psi
Another case of several attempts and finally got ahold of Hubie to ask him about my results. He dismissed the down in compression on #3 was ring alignment. I was hesitant but went with his explaination.

April 25-May 2 - North Carolina roadtrip did a compression test once in North Carolina.
Second compression test
#1 - 145psi
#2 - 143psi
#3 - 110psi
#4 - 150psi
The day after returning home I ran into my house over lunch to get something before heading back to work. I come outside to find my car idling on 3 cylinders. After work I did a compression test and found.
Third Compression test
#1 - 150psi
#2 - 150psi
#3 - 100psi
#4 - 125psi

Chat session with Mike Wong 7/9/11
[22:56] Michael Wong: did you get a hold of Hubie to figure out what's wrong with your car? or what might have caused it?
[22:59] Alex Comeau: The last compression test I didn't get an answer back on where we go from there.
[23:02] Alex Comeau: The results of that compression test were 150,150,100,125
[23:03] Michael Wong: o, that's not good..
[23:06] Alex Comeau: Remember when I talked to you about a misfire
[23:07] Alex Comeau: It sure wasn't electrical

July - August 12, 2011 - I have come up against a few hassles which have really wore me out. I will no longer be seeking anything from Hubie. I haven’t contacted Hubie since the first half of August. I myself haven’t been contacted either.

September to Present - The investigation started. I pulled the motor, started pulling it apart. I discovered I didn’t have a sleeve in cylinder #1 as a repair to the wall damage from when it it blew back in March. I also found that I was missing all the oil squirters which I found them in the oil pan. I pulled the piston/rods, found high amounts of carbon build up, blow-by, incorrect piston to bore size, incorrect ring gaps, glazing. With what I found about the pistons really explains the 1qt per 1,000 miles when running 15w50 (Spring/Summer) and 1qt every 600-700 miles on 10w40 (Fall/Winter).

To conclude I put a lot into my car I feel sorry for those who have bought or done business with Mynes Performance/Myne’s Tuning/Bytetronik or ABF Performance. If you have been tuned by Mynes or through bytetronik you better save up for a new motor because your going to be needing one.

I encourage anyone who has had issues of any degree when dealing with Mynes or ABF Performance to come forward. All this keeping quiet is for the birds anymore. Something needs to be done. No one should be silent any longer.

STAND UP AND SPEAK