H/K amplifier

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Jaybub

H/K amplifier

Post by Jaybub »

Hey all,
My amplifier isn't working therefore I get no sound (other than static every now and then) thru my speakers. I took it in to Baron and they said that it will cost $1300 to replace!!!! Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to fixing or replacing this issue?
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: H/K amplifier

Post by minicoopers43 »

I had the same problem. I replaced the whole system and added more for about half that price. Take a look at my post here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2598
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
Jaybub

Post by Jaybub »

From the sounds of it on NAM it sounds like my best bet is going to be that route.... why hasn't there been a class action filed on H/K yet!!

I'm definitely not a DIYer so do you have any place in mind that has fair install deals??
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I only checked one place and that was Independence Audio. They told me $300 but kinda made it sound like it might take longer, making it more expensive because it's a MINI. That is also with me buying all components from them which will also increase the price at least 25%. They did say they have done a few MINI's and they have a great reputation in the area.

If you're low on $ like my self then I would research and do it yourself. It's not difficult it's just time consuming. I'm willing to help if you take that route.
Jaybub

Post by Jaybub »

That's a generous offer and I appreciate that! I'll probably have to go thru the rest of December and Jan before I can afford parts anyway so I'll start the research process and get all the parts priced out and all. Let me know if you stumble upon a cheap amp in the meantime :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I used to see these for sale fairly often on NAM and Motoring Alliance for $100-$300 as people upgraded to bigger systems, added subs and so on. I haven't checked in a while tho....one thing I did learn, the BMW version which looks the same, has the exact same plug etc does not work, different software or something....

Someone could make some $$$ if there were a way to fix these for a realistic cost.

Wonder if anyone has ever contacted H/K to see if they offer a rebuilt unit or can repair these for a reasonale amount? I'll bet there's just one gizmo in there that fails, and if you could find and replace it you'd be right as rain.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Jaybub wrote: Let me know if you stumble upon a cheap amp in the meantime :D
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kac-8405- ... B0038FNIBW This is the amp I got and it's actually gone down a bit in price since I got it a few months ago. I have been extremely happy with it and the reviews are great too.
I like that it has 2 cooling fans instead of just a heat sink to keep it cool.
Jaybub

Post by Jaybub »

Wow that is cheap! Is yours hooked up to the H/K radio deck/speakers???