Clubbie saved my life

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
anima

Clubbie saved my life

Post by anima »

My beloved little Clubman gave up his life for me last tuesday (RIP). He was from the first batch of clubmen that Baron got and I think he was the second one sold in KC.

We were t-boned at an intersection and pushed about 20 yards before stopping. We didn't see it coming and when the car finally stopped, we thought the engine had blown up. Sum total of injuries:
1. open (as in bone poked thru the skin) fracture of clavicle requiring surgery to fix
2. broken ribs
3. sprained ankle (foot is very blue)
4. knee effusion
5. very sore neck (probably some whiplash I guess)
6. general bruising and and a lot of achiness - it is very hard to find a comfortable position where something doesn't hurt.

My 17 year old son was shaken up pretty bad but only has some bruising from the airbags. I believe the gentleman in the other car was a little beaten up but essentially OK too. thank God.

Overall I think we got off pretty well. Mini Coopers are solid well-engineered cars and I credit all of the built-in safety features for the both of us surviving the accident with as few injuries as we did. Thank god for side and head airbags. Go MINI!
Attachments
clubbie2.jpg
clubbie2.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Clubbie saved my life

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Oh my goodness! What a way to end the year. Wishing you quick healing. :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And thankfully you're still with us to relate the story!

Here's to a continued and speedy recovery....

So, new one on order yet?

BTW, what hit you?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
anima

Post by anima »

I am waiting to hear back from my insurance company before I get a new one. I just got out of the hospital yesterday. We were hit by a Chevy Impala (I think). I got whisked off to the ER and am still kinda fuzzy about the whole thing.
here's another pic:
Attachments
clubbie3.jpg
clubbie3.jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Oh my lord!! He must have been cruising to cause that much damage. Your injuries sound painful :( Get better soon.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck with your recovery. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Glad you weren't more seriously injured. Praying for your speedy recovery!
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Mach5

Post by Mach5 »

Speedy recovery to you. Those actually sounded like potentially life threatening injuries you got. Glad to hear your son is physically ok, too...though I imagine he's still pretty shook up nonetheless.

Who took the pics of the car? And how are you able to type with the broken clavical?
anima

Post by anima »

Broken bones - painful but fixable, pulmonary contusion - more serious but it never blossomed too badly so I think I got off pretty well all in all, My wife took the pix. I visited my car the other day to get a few things out of it - I really am no sure how I got out of it - I remember pulling myself from behind the wheel and into the passenger seat and someone then pulling me out of the car, but Holy Moly looking at how far the door is pushed in and the postion of the steering wheel - dunno how i did it.

doesn't really hurt to type, clavicle is now held together with a steel plate and screws - aches, but doesn't hurt too much, now the ribs...... that's another story.

Jeff