When is the next garage day?

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
SWT CHI

Re: When is the next garage day?

Post by SWT CHI »

My last two projects were both time consuming; neither was hard, but pushing the edges of my comfort zone. Possible and quite gratifying, as well. One project ran over a couple of days. I don't know if I could handle that again :oops: It's true what they say about standing on the edge: if you are, then you are taking up too much room.

I do need to take a look at the calipers again, triple check my work. I am wondering if I need to shim up the caliper, something small seems amiss... which could be much bigger than a small thing. I just want to assure myself it's all good before I head out and buy some springs, shocks, and some new wheels to fit the new suspension set up. That lies ahead: sometime in late-Feb or early March. But it would be quite easy to see it all from under the neath.

I'm estimating 10-12 hours and getting a lift for 2 days. I also ordered a Helix shifter to slip in there while the gear box is out, and do a dump and fill on the box. If I need a slave cylinder for any reason, I hope Baron has one on the shelf and Saturday before 5:00pm would be the only day to buy one.

I am asking for help if anyone feels inclined. Mostly, I need the extra set of experienced eyes to watch me bust my own knuckles.

I have a couple of comfortable lounge chairs w/ ottomans.
Last edited by SWT CHI on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I would be interested in hanging out for a day for the experience if nothing else. Or I could be a parts runner.

I did a clutch on my Talon (AWD) in my garage. Took me a week to get it done, but I was using 2 jackstands and no power tools. I had to make several runs to get new sockets and an easy out kit, extra fluids, etc. Similar to the MINI, everything was too cramped and jammed in there. It was a Mitsubishi motor/transmission though and far different from the MINIs. I may not be much help outside of reading the manual and asking questions, but I could help manuever things around or turn a wrench or two.

What I recommend NOT doing is dropping a transmission on yourself. I had to help (rather do by myself) a buddy put a transmission back in a Starion/Conquest after he dropped it on his chest trying to do it himself.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The good thing about using the DIY shop is they have the proper tools to do the job, including the lift and a proper transmission jack. We did my friend's clutch there and it was a godsend.

We did a bucketful of other work on his car so we were there all week.

I might be available part of the time, maybe enough to get you started....you have to remove a lot of stuff to get the transmission out. Bear in mind that the shifter you're going to change out is no where close to the tranny, but having the car in the air really makes it easier......except for the lift posts being in the way of getting in and out of the car.

I think Baron's parts closes at 3 on Sat, just FYI. All you have to do is unbolt the slave and let it hang, you don't have to disconnect it - if it's not leaking now it shouldn't be when you put it back together.

Do you have the ability to work an extra day if you have to order parts? When do you plan to start? You should take a good hard look at the rest of the car while it's up in the air for other things that can be easily done while it's airborne, such as torn axle boots, lower control arm bushings and ball joints, leaking power steering hoses... all those things are real easy to do when the subframe's out.

Be sure you have a good torque wrench when you re-assemble it, and the ball joint tool.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

I do have the ability to work all day Saturday and all day Sunday. If this were to run into Monday I would be so FUBAR; and, I do have leave available from my job. But I'd rather just push it over to the shop if I can't handle it.

I ordered the complete clutch assembly: disc, plate, fly wheel, bearing and guide tube. Also, 2 qts for the oil change.

I'm planning to start at 8am. The shop closes at 8pm. It would be awesome to drive home on Saturday night. While it's up in the air I plan to take an inventory of items for repair, but other than locating that elusive water leak I do not plan to do more work.

The torque wrench is in my car. Ball joint tool for...?

Dave, I would like to borrow the Bently manual. I'm apprehensive about getting in over my head. nine5raptor may be available.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Sure, like I said I can probably give you a hand the first day for sure....I have the ball joint tool....what day are you planning to start?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Planning to be there at 8am.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This Saturday? the 25th?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Saturday could be a good garage day. High of 52
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Yes, sir. Three (3) days from today.
Parts in route for Friday delivery.

Two-post or four-post lift?

Every day is a good day...
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

DIY only has 2 post lifts, and that's what you want to do this job anyway.

I can be there in the AM, but I have to leave after lunch....but that should get you well along. I can bring Bentley and the tool.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Thanks, Dave.
Seek you there.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

As of last night, I've the OK from the wife to come hang out.

Getting my MINI towed back to baron Jere in about an hour. As long as I get her back, I should be good to go.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
DSKSMini

Post by DSKSMini »

I'll come in the morning to help/hangout. Have to be somewhere in the afternoon. Could give you a hand on Sunday if you need it too. No experience with it but I'll be glad to help with whatever I can. I have a short shift kit I want to install on my car someday, so If there is a window that I'm not in the way I could at least do that for you.

Daryl
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

While watching the Lakers/Heat game last night, I read and re-read and re-read how to do this job using the Pelican tech article, as well as a couple other interwebz resources.

I am going to chicken out and let a pro do it. Uli is booked up through the end of next week, so... En route to George's Imports.

"A man's got to know his own limitations."
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I hate to say it, but I think you made a good move. With a new baby imminent you don't need to add stress to your life. I've known the guys at George's for over 40 years, they'll take good care of you - mention my name to Brad (the Big Guy) if you see him....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:I hate to say it, but I think you made a good move. With a new baby imminent you don't need to add stress to your life. I've known the guys at George's for over 40 years, they'll take good care of you - mention my name to Brad (the Big Guy) if you see him....
What's this George's Imports?
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

http://www.kcsaab.com/

I talked to them a while back abouot Water Injection. Was one of the few places that sold systems locally at the time.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:I hate to say it, but I think you made a good move. With a new baby imminent you don't need to add stress to your life. I've known the guys at George's for over 40 years, they'll take good care of you - mention my name to Brad (the Big Guy) if you see him....
That's a looooooong time.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

They're now located in Martin City.....

I started my automotive career working for George (senior) back in 1968......so actually 46 years ago!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

MiniManiac wrote:
That's a looooooong time.
What can I say.....I'm ooooooooold! :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

George's is located on 135th Street between Holmes and Wornall just west of the railroad tracks in Martin City. It is just a couple of doors west of Jess & Jims, just east of RC's, and across the street from Martin City Brewing.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

nine5raptor wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

I talked to them a while back abouot Water Injection. Was one of the few places that sold systems locally at the time.
I've researched A2A and MeOH-injection systems rather deeply as of late 'cos I'm dealing with some wicked heat soak. The conclusion that I've reached is that although MeOH-injection will provide some relief, you're still gonna need more air. Especially after 30-minutes of stress. The motor is not going to disappate the heat until the next day with out more air flow. I have not been convinced the performance gain is going to be worth the money.

Defenders of Speed has the most radical A2A IC on the market. And they've got some great stuff coming to market for post-R53s as a result of their R&D efforts. You're ride is TC, correct? Maybe I'm making some references to SC engines... Again, more air flowing is what is called for: a splitter will improve the quality of the air, a retro-fit scoop will improve the amount of air, and the appropriate cold-air intake, e.g. DDM, is going to help out immensely as well.

Catch up with you again at a garage day or a Wednesday evening drive-and-dine in... someone should be posting the 2014 event schedule soon.
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Zackattack28 wrote:
What's this George's Imports?
One of 3 shops that I will permit to work on my car. Period. No further discussion warranted. And, all things being equal, they are in no particular order. Generally, it's who has room to schedule me in.

Hafekemeyer Motors in Waldo
George's Imports in Martin City
Baron
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

SWT CHI wrote:
nine5raptor wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

I've researched A2A and MeOH-injection systems rather deeply as of late 'cos I'm dealing with some wicked heat soak. The conclusion that I've reached is that although MeOH-injection will provide some relief, you're still gonna need more air. Especially after 30-minutes of stress. The motor is not going to disappate the heat until the next day with out more air flow. I have not been convinced the performance gain is going to be worth the money.

Defenders of Speed has the most radical A2A IC on the market. And they've got some great stuff coming to market for post-R53s as a result of their R&D efforts. You're ride is TC, correct? Maybe I'm making some references to SC engines... Again, more air flowing is what is called for: a splitter will improve the quality of the air, a retro-fit scoop will improve the amount of air, and the appropriate cold-air intake, e.g. DDM, is going to help out immensely as well.

Catch up with you again at a garage day or a Wednesday evening drive-and-dine in... someone should be posting the 2014 event schedule soon.
Yes, mine is Turbocharged.

I was running a large fmic on my talon with an upgraded turbo (pushing 23psi), 630 cc injectors, 190 lph walboro, upgraded fuel lines/filter and the full intake/exhaust/computer to support it. I ran 91 octane and ran it hard daily as it was my only car at the time. I could watch knock in real time and was having to use Toluene/Xylene to keep knock and timing advance in check. Adding Water/Meth (I ran blue washer fluid straight from the resevoir) helped keep the intake temps down and the knock sensor happy. I used boost to trigger mine via a Hobbs switch. Anytime I went over 5 psi, it was going to the full 23.

My buddy had a similar setup but was spraying his IC with the water to try to draw away as much heat as he could.

For the MINI, I am interested in improvements to more than just power. Went down that road with the Talon and reliability suffered. I don't think my R56 can use any help in reducing reliability :lol: The water/meth can give the same results as a larger intercooler and also, possibly, help with keeping the intake tract clean.

FWIW, back when I had my Talon, guys were playing around with propane injection as well. That was a bit wild for me! :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So Mark, how did the clutch job turn out?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"