SW MiNi Fest - Mar 28-30 PHX

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
SWT CHI

SW MiNi Fest - Mar 28-30 PHX

Post by SWT CHI »

Two cars makes a caravan. I've heard others amongst us may be attending, but I'm not one to gossip.
http://www.SWMiNiFest.com

SWT CHI :chili:
WildThang (CORN) :ds:
davester :chili:
Blugoose :indi:
Last edited by SWT CHI on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: SW MiNi Fest - Mar 28-30 PHX

Post by davester »

Charlotte and I are going. Frank (Blugoose) is going too. :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

Yeah...we're taking the GP to SWMINIFest. We're going to spend a few days in the area after the event, then motor home via New Mexico with some stops there.

Where ya'll lodging the first night of the trip?
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Wolf Creek, US 160

Alt: via Colorado Springs and overnight near Placitas outside of ABQ.
Last edited by SWT CHI on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I'm sure we will make a decision where to stop when the event gets a little closer.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

How about stopping at Tucumcari, NM. That's about 615 miles from KC and 10 1/2 hours driving time not including lunch and pee breaks. That will leave 600 miles and 10 more hours driving time to Tempi. Subject to change--- :D

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari, Tehatchapi to Tonopah.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Minidave wrote:I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari, Tehatchapi to Tonopah.....
Long live Lowell George.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Someone got the reference! :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

David and I were looking for the quickest route there(phx). It appears that I-70 to I-35s to 54w to I-40 fits the bill.Not sure I want to wonder around the southern Rockies in possible snow conditions. We might even be able to check out part of the "MotherRoad" :chugchug:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

If this is a consideration, I haven't driven US54 west out of Wichita in a few years but it used to be it was mostly 2 lane.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Well the alternative is to go approx. 120mi south to Ok City and then go west. Not sure I want to do that. I'm going to check with Kansas HP and see what they say about 54
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I've done 54 plenty of times, it's a two lane, but it's a good road, you'll go thru plenty of small towns tho but it's the most direct route. I think most folks just take I-35 to OKC then jump on 40 west. You might run into some snow in Flagstaff too.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Small towns aren't bad. Give us a chance to enjoy the 'flavor' of south central Kansas. Besides Dave why did you use 54 when you could have used 35 to 40?
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Interstates are so pedestrian and overrun with tractor-trailer traffic. US 160 to I-25 is two-lane, as well, but you’ll be the only car on the highway west of Ulysses and you won’t have to deal with the Eau de Midnight Pasture. The only flavour of SC/SW Kansas you’re going to find along US 54 is FeedLot. As you know, Senor Pilot, the four winds blow west to east so your cabin filter will be infected for hours. Days...

A quick route to rival US 54 is via I-10, and the speed limit on I-20 is well above 75... closer to 90... You would also benefit from the sunrays to tan pasty white skin and up your Vitamin D count for the remainder of spring.

The final home game for Cubs spring training is versus the ChiSox on Thursday, March 27, where I will be enjoying a cold beer. I’ll seek y’all on Friday at Registration.
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

We have decided to get to Tempe on the 27th of March, a day early. For us it's a 24 hour ride to Tempe so we're pushing into Sante Fe our first night. Dropping south out of Nebraska for Salina KS, Great Bend KS, then Dodge City KS along Hwy 56. Same route takes us into Clayton New Mexico which is near the idiotstate into Sante Fe. Making a long push the first day gives us time to stop and see a couple national parks the second day.

While we're in the Phoenix metro area we're going over to Papago Park to check out the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden which is awesome to a flat lander like me. I haven't seen it in 30 years or so, but it was outstanding years ago. Seems like a life time ago, but I went to school and worked around Phoenix a couple years. Haven't been back since...

SWT CHI...that's the smell of money down there in a cattle country...

We're staying another few days across AZ and NM after the MINI event. Tuscon for a couple nights, then Sante Fe and Taos.
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Boy that was a long drive,but well worth it. The SW MINI folks sure did a great job. Went down there on back roads(54) and it seemed to take forever.Too many trucks using the same route.Much better after getting on US40. Beautiful scenery! Even drove on the Mother Road a few miles. Came back via US40 to OKC and then 35 to KC.A little longer but much less anxiety.-F