MINI Takes the States 2010

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Takes the States 2010

Post by Minidave »

Thanks Greg!

BTW, are you taking your car or Judy's - or both?

Right now MITM has about 160 cars registered, so there should be a pretty sizeable turnout for both events.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:Thanks Greg!

BTW, are you taking your car or Judy's - or both?

Right now MITM has about 160 cars registered, so there should be a pretty sizeable turnout for both events.
Its just going to be me, and I'll be taking my R53.

I'm actually thinking about taking that whole week off, driving to Chicago for the Sunday kick-off, and riding the entire midwest route. I think some of my Iowa MINI compadres might be going to Chicago for the start and thought it would be fun to do the whole thing.

I've not signed up for MITM, just MTTS.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think it would be a hoot and a half to tour along with a couple hundred other MINIs, and if it was just me that's what I would do too!

But we'll be leaving KC on Wed with the Mini-Poopers and driving straight to Winter Park, so we may not hook up with the MTTS folks till Sat in Denver. I'm sure we'll run into you all somewhere along the route! :mrgreen:

I'm going to work Mon and Tues, then take off the rest of that week and all the next. After the events we may go on north and tour around Steamboat Springs and such for a couple of days before we head home, and we may come back on Hiway 36 just so we can miss driving I-70 for the 10,000th time!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Got my hotel reservations for Denver on Friday and Saturday! Saweeet!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

David and I are staying in Winter Park and we're going to try and leave KC on Thursday...
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Are you getting rooms for Denver? The party will be in Denver on Friday night and Saturday night!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

No, we're just going to stay in Winter Park and drive between there and Denver....
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

NEWS: Details posted for all cities

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Details have been posted for all the overnight cities.

http://www.eventjack.com/registration/m ... route.html

Kansas City overnight hotel is Sheraton Suites at the Plaza.

The only posted event is the Rise and Shine rally from 8am-9am, location TBD.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'll be very surprised if they don't have some sort of event at the Speedway, like a cruise around the track - that would be awesome! Plus the Speedway would be a good gathering/setting-off-from point too....

They're really dribbling this info out, aren't they?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Let's not try to pick the most expensive places around... :roll:
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

The rate in Denver is only $90 per night which is great!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:Let's not try to pick the most expensive places around... :roll:
No reason anyone has to stay at the host hotel if it doesn't fit in their budget--there are plenty of other options. Often a host hotel is chosen by a production team for a reason, such as sufficient parking (or a parking garage) or because of event space needed for other festivities or because of an affiliation with a hotel company. We stayed at a hotel other than the host hotel in Chicago during MTTS 2008 and still had a really terrific time. I'd tell you all about it but it's not fit for print.... :D
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:
Counterfit_Mini wrote:Let's not try to pick the most expensive places around... :roll:
No reason anyone has to stay at the host hotel if it doesn't fit in their budget--there are plenty of other options. Often a host hotel is chosen by a production team for a reason, such as sufficient parking (or a parking garage) or because of event space needed for other festivities or because of an affiliation with a hotel company. We stayed at a hotel other than the host hotel in Chicago during MTTS 2008 and still had a really terrific time. I'd tell you all about it but it's not fit for print.... :D
Johnna, Did you book the Denver hotel for MTTS? We are in the host hotel and we are looking forward to a good time. We may just leave the kids at home! :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniManiac wrote:The rate in Denver is only $90 per night which is great!

That's not bad. I know Lowe's Hotels aren't cheap. Stayed in one of those in Miami on Scion's dollar :D
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

ragtopday wrote:
+1

I noticed that none are Marriott properties. I'm a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, so I'm booking in near-by Marriott/Courtyard/Fairfield Inn hotels.

In Denver I found a Marriott property just a few blocks to the south of the event venue and hotels.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

HOT NEWS: KC Events

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Just posted on the MTTS site:

Organizer: Kansas City Baron MINI with Local Car Club
Date: Augst 11, 2010
Time: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Description:
* Fresher than Fresh Exotic Snow Cones
* Local Blvd Beer Tours
* K-5 Fun scenic drive
* Charity Car Wash

Organizer: Kansas City Baron MINI with Local Car Club
Date: Augst 12, 2010
Time: 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM (Offsite)
Description:
Dealer Sponsored send off Breakfast [Breakfast to go items for those rallying to Dodge City]
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

" Local Car Club"

Has the local club been asked for participation? I orignally was onlyn doing the KC stop. Then decided that a drive to Dodge would work.
And then, hey Dodge is kinda close to Denver. Anybody know if groups are caravaning to the next city or what?

:ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: :ds: ( bored )
Mr. F56
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Didn't realize they going down to Dodge then up to Denver. Thought they'd go i70 with that many car's. We're thinking about tagging along but going on to Grand Junction, where he's from, to venture around the hill's.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

getsalot wrote:Didn't realize they going down to Dodge then up to Denver. Thought they'd go i70 with that many car's. We're thinking about tagging along but going on to Grand Junction, where he's from, to venture around the hill's.
Dodge City could potentially be....interesting. The last stop before Denver, so maybe 100-200 MINIs? 500 MINIs? I don't know how many will be making the trip, but that stop could be something else.

I've booked into a bed&breakfast instead of being part of the throng trying to check out of the hotel at the same time.

August will be here before we know it!
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

DA MINI wrote: Anybody know if groups are caravaning to the next city or what?
As it gets closer to time to go, I'm sure there will be some groups linking up together.....I know Dimini was planning to go with the group to Dodge, and I think Steffi is too.

There are over 200 cars signed up for MITM, so I'm thinking there could be 500 or so altogether at both events. Should be fun!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:
DA MINI wrote: Anybody know if groups are caravaning to the next city or what?
As it gets closer to time to go, I'm sure there will be some groups linking up together.....I know Dimini was planning to go with the group to Dodge, and I think Steffi is too.

There are over 200 cars signed up for MITM, so I'm thinking there could be 500 or so altogether at both events. Should be fun!
Yep David and I are leaving with the KC group on Thursday and stopping in Dodge City with them and then going to Winter Park on Friday.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:.....I know Dimini was planning to go with the group to Dodge, and I think Steffi is too.
I'm planning on being with the caravan the whole way from Chicago to Denver.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Think i'v got his mind changed to go with my plan. Going to buy one registration for the momento, do the local event's, and drive out of town a way's with the caravan. I want to do a road trip Sept/Oct to Yellowstone and Grand Teton's n tack on his Grand Junction, Co visit to that trip. Been there, done that on the MITM, Denver, and Dodge City...lol. Alway's look'n for a new adventure. BTW, if you want to venture off the beaten track on the way to Dodge City, go to Oakly, KS. Just south of Cody, KS. There are two huge bronze statue's there that are kewl to see. I'm talking 20-25 ft tall statue's of Wild Bill Cody on a horse and a buffalo.
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Just to let people know - the "official" MTTS route from KC to Dodge City will not be taking I-70. Granted, there is no event planned in Dodge so feel free to get there however you want - or even head directly to CO- but most of the group will be traveling off the beaten path via 50 across KS. Looks like about 5 to 5 1/2 hours either way you go.

And, as of today - July 10 - there is somewhere between 300-400 people registered to be in KC for MTTS festivities. There will be a stop at Baron (2PM-5PM on Wed., Aug. 11) for sno-cones and a possible charity car wash. Then, maps will be given for a "tour" of our famous K-5. I imagine groups will leave to drive the K-5 on an impromptu basis i.e. this is a own your own tour just kind of like being at the Dragon. Drive the K-5 if and when you would like that afternoon and if others are going at the same time, then great. Finally, Boulevard Brewery is working on scheduling some tours that afternoon. More info on that will be posted in the next week.

What the club can provide is a list of recommended places to see, eat, etc. while out-of-towners are here. Since there's no formal event planned for Wed. night, it would be great for the club to sponsor a hand out of favorite local places to go. So go ahead and post your favorite places in this thread and I'll make sure they get compiled and printed for handout at Baron during the stop. That would be the biggest help the group of us can be to make everyone's stay in KC a great one since we basically have no money to spend reserving something somewhere not to mention the fact that KC will be the second to the last stop for all the east coast travelers. In my experience (this is my 3rd cross country journey with MTTS) by the time the group gets to the last couple of stops, everyone is exhausted and just wants to relax for an evening.So if we can all recommend our favourite places in KC to hang out, be it restaurants, ice cream places, bars etc., we can let all the east coasters know that KC isn't just a hick town in fly-over country.

The launch point on Thursday morning will be the parking lot of Heartland Community Church at 119th and Strang Line Rd in Olathe (the Old Rhodes Furniture building next the the AMC 30 theatre.) It was an ideal parking lot close to I-35 (we'll be departing on I-35 South toward 50 for Dodge City) and could accommodate a few hundred MINIs on a Thursday Morning.

As always, it should be a great time with a couple hundred MINIs in KC for the stop.
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

While in Kansas City and want good barbecue, go to Oklahoma Joe's at 47th and Mission. Thats right, the gas station-- what a woot. That's what the President requested while here last week.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"