Heartland Park Touring Laps - August Edition

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Heartland Park Touring Laps - August Edition

Post by Minidave »

Well, it's coming up, our next day at the track on Wed, August 15th.
I'm sending my registration in today..........

For those who didn't see the info before, here is a link to the registration page.........Touring Laps Reg

Cost is $60 plus a one time fee of $20 to join the HPT club. This is really cheap track time, a very controlled environment with no craziness or damage to cars or tires, and just loads of fun. You can drive as quickly as you feel comfortable and some of us were seeing well over 100 mph on the front straight (like Jeff in his GP!)

I'd love to see about 20 MINI's at the track this time, so c'mon folks and join in the fun. Last time we met at Cabella's in the Legends, then ate lunch and caravanned up to the track. We can do the same this time or if someone has another idea, please post away. It's about a hour drive from Cabella's to the track.

Registration opens at 3 pm for those who need to change tires before the event. I recommend a cooler with some cold drinks (no alchohol is allowed) and there are picnic tables under cover to get out of the sun.
Gas, water and air are available at the track although I expect it's expensive race gas. Short sleeved shirts are allowed (I thought some folks were driving with shorts on as well, but can't confirm this) long pants and leather shoes are recommended. You must have a helmet and it must be of the proper rating as noted on the site. You can buy a correctly rated helmet for as little as $110- $125 if you don't have one - it's a good investment.

This time we'll be running the new track configuration, which I understand will have a better entrance into turn one and the back straight kink that can be taken at full speed!

Come out and play, let's get a bunch of MINI's there this time!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Times?

Post by MiniGeoff »

I see that it opens at 3pm, but when do you plan on getting out there? I'd like to try to make it, but during the week like this is kind of rough for me.

Also, what's the proper rating for a helmet? Will a motorcylce helmet suffice, or is it special? I've got a buddy who might be able loan me a motorcycle helmet if I decide to go on short notice and don't have time to get one of my own (and he's not at Sturgis still.)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So take off work a little bit early! :lol:

We got there a bit early last time, but I expect to be there by 3 ish this time. I like hanging out at the track, and it gives me time to re-torque my wheels and check things over in general on my car before I hit the tech inspection line.

You need to be there before, say 4:00 pm at the absolute latest to get thru tech and attend the mandatory driver's meeting at 4:15.......

I used my BIL's motorcycle helmet last time, the rating has to be Snell M or SA 2000 or newer according to the HPT website, and they will check it at tech........

Registration is restricted to 60 cars, and last time I'll bet there were 50 or more, so register early! If you register and pay and can't attend, they will transfer this payment to the next event, as long as you let them know ahead of time.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Trying like heck to make sure it fits on my calendar!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

No, no, no, you have it all wrong - you need to make your calendar fit the events! :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

True...
Jeff Wood

Post by Jeff Wood »

Work is going to keep me from improving my driving skills and getting the GP over 100mph on the front straight. I will be in Germany improving my driving skills on the autobahn for the week. I hope to be able to make the Sept. date.

Have a blast and drive safe
hctiev

HPT Tour Laps

Post by hctiev »

I'm registered so I'm in. I missed it last time, but not this time!
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Dave,

I need to get signed up for August. Did you sign up as novice or intermediate?
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

After some discussion, I decided to go as a Novice again. You're not required to have an instructor ride along in your second tour as a novice, but they are available - so it's the cheapest instruction you can buy. And they don't exactly hold me back speed wise - I was pedalling as fast as I could go!

I will have my "Track" wheels and tires on this time tho, just to see if it really makes any difference, or if it's just the nut behind the wheel!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I'm confirmed for August, beginning class, take II. :D

Would be even more fun if we can round up a few more MINI folks. Can't just give the track to Corvettes and Elises.

Bring a full tank of gas, and a cooler of water. We'll need the H20. Hey, for you folks who are on the fence... This is a remarkable learning experience for a measily $60! Instructor tags along and assists (as necessary) with technique and assures that you are within your comfort zone.

Great opportunity to try out some corners/straights in a safe and controlled environment.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Jeff Wood wrote:Work is going to keep me from improving my driving skills and getting the GP over 100mph on the front straight. I will be in Germany improving my driving skills on the autobahn for the week. I hope to be able to make the Sept. date.

Have a blast and drive safe
Gosh, if you're gonna miss the event, the Autobahn is certainly a decent place to play. Hope you have one of those german wagons that goes at warp speed. Can work/travel be that fun? I'll bet you'll be puttering along at 120/ KPH in the right lane inside a Renault at 4K rpm! :lol: :lol: -Just kiddin'.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Ok, I'm confirmed for August - but now I need a helmet. Any suggestions?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Check here. .... soloracer.com

Just found some pics of the changes being made to the track, those who were there last time mightl be interested to see these......
This is the "bus stop", a big kink in the middle of the back straight........

This is the entrance to turn one. Last time we went left at this corner rather than right, and that eliminated the entire carousel area for us. At the very bottom of the pic is where you crest the hill on the front straight and the car gets a wee bit light and makes it a bit tricky to get slowed down and set for the upcoming corner. I don't know if they'll have us run the whole track this time or not, but I'd like to try turn 1 now that they fixed it..........

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

hctiev wrote:Ok, I'm confirmed for August - but now I need a helmet. Any suggestions?
Glad to see you onboard! I bought a open-faced Pyrotect from Soloracer.com. It was only $107 + $7 or 8 shipping. There are full-face models for only a few extra dollars. For me, the open face makes sense as it's cooler. I made a few local KC calls to Kawaski bike shops, but quickly realized that nobody really knew what I was asking about.
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I'm signed up and confirmed for the August event. I think I'll get the open-face Pyrotect. Seems like a good value and I'm sure I'll appreciate the extra cooling.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
petek

Post by petek »

One more MINI goin' to the track!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What about you, pete?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

I guess I should have said, one more MINI w/human (me) going to the track! :lol:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Coolness, that's 5 then so far, let's see if we can get a few more going......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Quick helmet question

Post by MiniGeoff »

Ok, I've got the helmet that my father-in-law used to Solo II in, so I've got that covered. However, it's a wee bit to big. Not bad, but a little. Is that going to prove to be a major issues?

Also, I've got a Schroth harness which I'd like to use, but I heard that if I don't have 2 then I can't use it. Seems the instructors want to be strapped in just as well as the driver. I mean it installs in like 30 seconds and is always in my hatch, so it's not a big deal. I'm just curious.

I've got the day off from work, and if this helmet won't be a big deal, then I'll prereg and then I'm in!

Also,
OasisT

Post by OasisT »

I'm going to do everything I can to make it, but, will be out of town until the 14th. I'm just not sure how soon I can get off work on the 15th. :-) I might just skip lunch and then leave an hour early. :-)
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

My helmet showed up today! Looks like I'm good to go.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

This is going to be fun!!!
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Pulled the trigger!

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'm in!

I might be bringing my father in law along... I've only had his car a few months and he already misses it!