October 24th - Heartland Park Touring Club - anyone?

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

That would be fun, but not this Sunday. We will be out of town as well.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

hctiev wrote:I should probably start another post but why when you can use bold, right?

For those of you who have new helmets and would like to try them out, may I suggest a trip to Saddler's in Olathe (Indoor go-cart). This is the best way I know of to get a bit of racing in and to try out the new helmet.

It's just as fun in old helmets.

How about Sunday afternoon - about 1pm?
Wow! That sounds like great fun!

However, at 1pm I'll be at Arrowhead, so I'm out.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I should have my camera ready for HPT on the 24th. I'm trying to duplicate the MiniDave setup by using the passengers headrest. We'll see what happens.

If there are no takers for Sunday, then we'll plan for another time.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

hctiev wrote: For those of you who have new helmets and would like to try them out, may I suggest a trip to Saddler's in Olathe (Indoor go-cart). This is the best way I know of to get a bit of racing in and to try out the new helmet.

Alex-

January is open on the club calendar. Would you want to organize January's meet at Sadler's? It would be a great month to have an indoor activity, since planning a drive can be iffy in the Winter months.

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

January would be a great time to do this, if we go, I'm there!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Just confirmend my spot for the 24th. This may cause me to go buy some new tires and finally ditch the runflats on the GP.

It'll be good to have some other MINIs in the intermediate group this time.
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

ragtopday wrote:
hctiev wrote: For those of you who have new helmets and would like to try them out, may I suggest a trip to Saddler's in Olathe (Indoor go-cart). This is the best way I know of to get a bit of racing in and to try out the new helmet.

Alex-

January is open on the club calendar. Would you want to organize January's meet at Sadler's? It would be a great month to have an indoor activity, since planning a drive can be iffy in the Winter months.

Johnna
That would be an awesome meeting. Those go karts are fun. 8) (Can I take my Mini on the track? LOL )
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Your Mini is almost the same size!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

It seems like we have some good interest for a go-cart Mini party. Does anyone else want to help me coordinate our January meeting?

I'll give them a call to see if we can get a group discount.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

So what's the final count? Who all is going to HPT on the 24th?
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I would say I'm about 90% sure that I'm going.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

I'm about 80% sure I'm going. I should know by the end of this week.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

By my count............

Minidave
dimini
Laurie
Oasis T
Hagar46
hctiev
Sundance

for sure or pretty sure

sliboa
Lilred
PeteK
ylwjkt

still iffy, but planning to be there

Are we still meeting up at the Legends?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Well cool-beans!

I thought the lapping day was this week and there is no way that I can make it this week. But it isn't this week - it is NEXT week.

I just might be able to make it! Whew! I really wanted to get some seat time in my other car at Heartland!

I just finished three days at Gateway in St. Louis. Had a blast. Determined that I really, really, really need better tires on the other car. I also broke a lower mounting bolt to the left rear coil over. Fortunately the 1/2" diameter bolt broke in the paddock as I was headed out to the track and not on the track.

Will just a little luck I'll see everyone there!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great Pete, do you drive to the track or tow that bad boy up?

We'll be looking for you............

Where shall we meet? Montana's again in the Legends? 1 pm again?

Alex, did you get your mount made? Need any help with it?

The weather promises to be almost perfect, cool but a chance of showers. Should make for the most pleasant run we've had if it stays dry, I'm really looking forward to this time! We won't get as many runs in as during the summer days, probably only three as sunset is about 6:30 pm now so make the most of this chance!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

The weather isn't looking so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that we'll have a chance. If it's raining and they cancel it - will they call us?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't know that they'll cancel it just for rain, considering we're driving street cars on street tires and we're just "Touring" around the track as the name implies............I'll check further with them on Monday, we should have a more accurate picture of the weather by then too.

........as to them contacting us, they didn't contact me on any of the previous cancellations, even tho they have my email address. I either found out from one of you all or by checking the HPT site.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

Well I'm out of it.

Wife's Denali is in the shop so I don't have a tow vehicle. I could drive the Cobra rather than trailer it, but believe me, driving for a couple of hours in the Cobra before and then AFTER the track would wipe me out.

Youngest daughter is coming into town so my wife scheduled a sushi dinner for her. I could skip it... but I don't get to see my daughters as often as I would like (they are both away at college).

The meeting at work that was scheduled to get out by 1 PM looks like it might go until 2 - 3 PM.

And finally, they are predicting rain.

When is the first one for 2008?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

April the first one, soon's they have the dates listed I'll start planing my days off..........

We'll miss you Pete..
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Hmm,

don't know what forecast you guys are looking at, but weatherunderground at 6:30pm 10/20 is calling for mostly cloudy, highs in lower 50's. Sounds fab to me.

I'm planning to attend lunch, (Montana's?) but could be arriving closer to 1:20pm, but will aim for 1pm and verify exact time with mobile phone that day.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Montana's it is then..........1 pm.

If it's that cool they may enforce the long sleeve shirt rule, be prepared.

FYI for our new participants, long pants, long sleeves (they let us wear short sleeves when it was 90* + ), closed shoes (preferably leather but tennies are OK) with cotton socks are the recommendations/requirements.

Make sure your tires have good tread, and a tire gauge is a good idea. 35lbs inflation is a good starting point. One of us will have a torque wrench to check the lug nuts. Check your oil and all other fluids, take out everything loose in the car, even your floor mats (you don't want them getting tangled in your feet ) bring a cooler and some water, but start getting hydrated the day before.

Where we park there is plenty of room to put whatever stuff you do bring and it's unlikely anyone would steal anything, but it is out in the open........some of us will be running intermediate, and others novice so someone will be in the pits pretty much all the time.....

When we get to the track we'll park, unload, then get into line for tech. There will be a driver's meeting at 4 or 4:15, then the first cars (advanced group) will hit the track, intermediates next and novices last. Each run takes about 20 min so I'd think we'll be lucky to get three runs in before it gets dark.

I'll have my Video camera mounted, but some still shots would be fun if someone wants to bring a camera.

Right now it looks like 10 cars going, should be fun!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

See you at Montana's at 1:00 pm. Can't wait!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

I just registered and paid online. :D
Is there anything else I need to do? BTW the helmet I borrowed says SNELL 2000 DOT on the back. IS that good enough?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The HPT Web site says "Driver must have current state-issued license, current registration of vehicle with proof of insurance, Snell SA or M90-rated helmet, long pants, and all lights functioning properly"

I'd call them on Monday and ask, call 800-437-2237 and ask for Ed Osment. If he doesn't know the answer he'll know who to ask........

Anyone remember whether an advanced driver can take passengers?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I checked and I don't have anything too terribly important going on in class on Wednesday, so I'm able to go. I will be joining everyone for lunch as well.

The registration packet says Snell SA or M 2000 rating which means either a motorcycle (M) or auto sports (SA) helmet that meets the year 2000 standard. There are only four types of helmets that have 2000 or newer certification by Snell: M, SA, K (kart racing) and E/H (horse riding). As long as your helmet is not a kart or equestrian helmet, you should be fine. But calling HPT is definitely a good idea.

As for passengers, I rode with Todd for a session last time at the track, and
he was in the intermediate group.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN