RMW Dyno Tuning by Jan March 8th but jan is confirming

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

More importantly...

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'd love to be in, but that's a lot of money for me to put aside right after Christmas, and not long before I have to start saving for my AMVIV trip.

that all being said, what's the latest you have to know by?
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Is the Dyno $100 per hour or $100 per person?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Each I think, $450 total each.............

I got a quote of $500 from Lucky Dog just to reflash my ECU, this seems like a better deal because you can not only change the parameters, you can see if they work, and if they don't you can change it again. If you just send the ECU in for a reflash, you'll just get a generic tune.

That's how I'm looking at it anyway..........

To "chip" my Audi I was quoted $600, again with no dyno time...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Dave yeah Jan is alot cheaper and you see the results with your own eyes.

Generic "Canned" tunes are a waste of money also the results are really unpredictable a Harry Carey style mod when it comes to money.

Actually shooting for a weekend in February. What year of MINI is yours petek if its a 02-04 you will get alot more torque below and around 3k rpms which is great for giving your clutch a break at stop lights haha. I don't have a baseline to go off of to get a good estimate on how much power and torque you will have. Power for a pulley only car probably around 185-190ish whp which beats a factory JCW in power. The torque i am think you could be 160-170ft lbs at the wheels.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Alright Guys I just got off the phone with Jan and he is a go on coming out there. So now all I need is weekend preference Feb. 1st for Tech inspection, Feb. 2 Tune Day or Feb. 8 tech inspection and Feb. 9 Tune Day.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Either is good for me.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

I have created a deadline at which i need a weekend preference (Feb 1&2 or Feb 8&9) before for the deadline. I don't want this to be a flop
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Feb 1 & 2 is my choice if I have to make one, but either weekend works for me.

C'mon guys, this is a great opportunity to find some extra performance in your ride at very little cost. If you'd like some information for reinforcement, take a look at this thread on NAM, makes for some interesting reading!

Jan Tune nets 50 hp
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

As much as I hate to say it...

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'm out. I can't justify $450 for a tune to get more power I really don't need to drive to work in rush hour every day. That's half way to a BBK or some new wheels, or maybe I could even spend it to make an extra payment on the car itself. In any case, I'd like the tune, but short of hitting the powerball between now and then, it's just not something I can't live without or can justify the expense for.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Punk_Mini wrote:Alright Guys I just got off the phone with Jan and he is a go on coming out there. So now all I need is weekend preference Feb. 1st for Tech inspection, Feb. 2 Tune Day or Feb. 8 tech inspection and Feb. 9 Tune Day.
Ok, count me in, but do we need to make two trips to Topeka? A pre-inspection and then the tune on the following day? Any more details, closer to pinning a final date?
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Pre-Inspection is at

KCautosport
6420 Carter St
Merriam, KS 66203
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Which weekend did you choose? I'm getting excited about this now that we're moving closer.

How many are going?

Does he take M/C or Visa or is this a cash deal?

How many cars can he reasonably do in a day?

What time do we meet up in Topeka, and what's the address of the Dyno place?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

For some of you who might be on the fence regarding this, I wrote Jan and asked a few questions, here are his replies (in red)......

Once your tune has been laid into the ECU, is it detectable to the dealer? Is that a problem? No they won't even know it's there as it is factory coding!

Once your tune is laid into the ECU, what if I take my car in for some general repairs and they decide to upload BMW's latest software updates, does that overwrite what you've done? Will I have to tell them not to upload any new software to prevent this? Yes it will overwrite but I keep a copy of your file on a hard drive so it can be downloaded back onto your car.

If so, how do I get the updates I might want then? see last statement above

Do you provide a copy of the original tune as a fall back in case we're not happy with the results of your work? If so, how do we install it? yes we keep your stock tune available

What exactly are we going to get by having you tune our ECU? A little more HP and torque are a given, will there be tradeoffs in fuel economy or driveability? more torque, hp and BETTER driveability

I know from reading your answers in threads (on NAM) that when this is done in conjunction with a dyno you get the best results, but since these are wide open throttle full load tests, how does the tune impact light load "normal" driving? I have already done the driveability maps, they are already in the base tune

I'm excited to see what the real world "Butt dyno" results will be, especially as my car is a bone stock MCS JCW, everyone I've read who did this claims the results are really worth the effort and $$$ spent.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Alright the questions Minidave has asked are below and answered. Next week is the deadline for the date. Next week also I will talk to Marcos about the group rate for the tech inspections. So far 4 people once I get one more we will know 5 hours will be needed at the dyno so I make the arrangement with the dyno for 5 hours and then we are pretty much set.

How many are going? I need 1 more person

Does he take M/C or Visa or is this a cash deal? TBA

How many cars can he reasonably do in a day? 1hr per car has been the normal amount of time for a safe tune and it also depends on the cars factory tune some need more here and there then others at the beginning of the tune. Helix13 in Philly has a DYNO TUNE WEEK and has 23 people for it.

What time do we meet up in Topeka, and what's the address of the Dyno place? The address is on post #1 and the time TBA
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Sounding great. I like that pre-inspection is in metro KC. Did I miss the final date or is it still tentative?
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Jan has been doing some testing on some new stuff here lately so he has been busying getting that all done and with the Tuning week at Helix in Philly he has to talk to his parents to see when he could come out and what not. Its still a go don't worry about that just getting a date ironed out fully.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

The guys who have been looking forward to this have probably been following the 2 Week Dyno Tuning out at Helix in Philly. Jan should be getting back to me soon about what the weekend its going to be and it may be later in the month and so far I am not sure because he is trying to schedule it to be also a time to see his parents.

I am getting really anxious because of all the cars that have been tuned in philly have been pushing numbers from 200whp all the way up to a speechless 255whp :shock: and all on the stock M45 supercharger which can also be happily called a hair drier at times. Also from following the tuning in philly you will see our cars are leaps and bounds in difference from the factory on the baselines. The number one thing people say about the car is that it feels like a totally new car and then some :lol: :D

I recently got a Megan Racing Header so I am anxious to see how it feels on the stock tune before getting more power
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Cool! Looking forward to updates.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Well friday night I started installing my new Megan Header at 5pm and I finished with final adjustment of the whole exhaust and went for the first test drive at 11:30pm. I took longer because I had only so much lift from the jack so space to fish the new header in was very limited.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I have done very little DIY wrenching on MINIs, but one thing is for certain EVERYTHING is cramped.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

This weekend I am putting Hawk HPS pads on, TSW studs and muteki tuner lug nuts, rear seat delete
StoicMaverick

Post by StoicMaverick »

is it just WAY too late to invite myself to this? MINIdave told me about it and it sounds cool, though i might have to go couch-tipping to pull the money.
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Punk_Mini wrote:... rear seat delete
GP wanna-be. JK :wink:

You gonna hit the track at Pahrump when you're at AMVIV? Might be a good time to check out your new mods and new ECU tune on the track. It's a pretty good course BTW. You're gonna need a harness in that thing if you don't have one already. :idea:
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Alex, there's our 5th for the RMW tune day, now let's get this thing finalized and done!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Awesome well tomorrow I will give Jan, Marcos and the dyno a call ASAP.