Heartland Park Touring Laps - 2008

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Heartland Park Touring Laps - 2008

Post by Minidave »

HPT has announced the 2008 schedule for Touring Laps, dates as follows

April 16
May 14
June 11
July 16
Aug 13
Sept 10

Right now there is no Oct. date listed, maybe it conflicts with the Solo or the SCCA Runoffs.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the $20 fee is a one time deal, not yearly.

So, start planning your calendar to join us on track!

More details as HPT announces them.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I might try to make it to a track day. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

According to the Old Farmer's Almanac for 2008, the sun set times for all of these dates is at least 8:00pm (except for Sept.) :thumbsup2: That means lots of lap time, an extra bonus!
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

I will have my coilovers dialed in and my other stuff cooking and I am down for acouple
petek

Post by petek »

I'll put those dates on my calendar NOW!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I've already put in for Vacay on those days, the only ones I might not make are July and August, and if it's as hot as it was last year - I won't mind missing those!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Touring Laps

Post by Hagar46 »

I'll be there as many dates as I can. Also planning to go to Hallett, OK at least once next summer if anyone is interested. Their touring days are usually weekends, 5 sessions per day. Details to come in the coming months.

Can you tell I've got the bug!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I don't know what I'm doing next week, let alone in April. Considering that I work in the world of Finance and my wife works for the IRS, I'd say that I'll be swamped on 4/16 and will miss then. The rest, I dunno about. I'm probably not able to make any (they are Wednesdays, right?) until July or August, but I'll do any I can for sure.
Last edited by MiniGeoff on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Count me in for most of them. Right now my goal is to improve my brakes a bit. As I'm sure anyone who spent time on the track this last year will tell you - stopping (and stopping well) is more important that going.

Has Audi or BMW announced their HPDE days? I know that I'm going to want to hit at least one of them.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I plugged each date into my planner. Of course, I don't turn down substantial billable hours for a track day, but at this point, I have the dat es available.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

I'm interested in trying to make a few of these this year. What is the typical timing (i.e. when do you need to be at HPT), cost for each run, instructors for early runs, etc?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Check out THIS thread for our August date last year, most info is there. or you can go to HPT.com and look for "Touring laps"

You'll need to join the track for $20, and each session is $60. Last year our June 21st session included 5 runs (longest day of the year) but since they canceled July due to track renovations we missed that one. there are lots of video's and such in the thread topic, check them out!

Last year at the last session I was very disappointed with the instructor/ student ratio for beginners, they've promised to do better this year and many of last years participants will be graduating to "intermediate" status this year, which should help.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Anyone on the books for April? I don't feel like going there by myself...especially the first time. Might try to get my brother and his Porsche 911 Carrera up there too, I've been meaning to try to beat him. Also maybe we can do the Caravan thing over there, I've lived in kansas for 18 years and never knew HPT had anything besides a drag strip. Also any recommendations for places to get helmets locally?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Don't know any local places, I got mine from Soloracer.com

I'm going in April for sure, and I think about 5 other MINI owners already have it on their schedules as well.

We usually meet somewhere in the Legends for lunch and then caravan up to the track. Check in starts at 3pm with Tech, then it's driver's meeting at 4:15 and first cars hit the track at 4:30.

Definitely have your brother bring his Porsche too!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Signed up for April 16th....now to order a helmet.

addition to post:

A few hours later.....HELMET ORDERED! h00ray! :D
Last edited by kabootist on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I bought a helmet last year here: www.motodirect.com. It was just under $73 delivered. That was a pretty good price from what I could see on the web. It is a full face helmet and the face shield is removable. You need to check with HPT to see what Snell rating they are allowing this year. Mine is a M2005 and it was acceptable last year. I think they wanted M2000 or newer last year.
~Laurie~

kabootist

Post by kabootist »

From what i saw it was M2005/SA2005 or higher, I just bought one from soloracer.com for 120 shipped. I bought a decent one cause It will probably double as my motorcycle helmet. The very cheap ones, I found from experience are not very comfortable for the 3 - 4 hour rides on motorcycle. Great if you are only gonna use it a couple times a year though! The extra expense is worth saving my noodle in case I fall off my motorcycle...not to worried about rolling the MINI.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Just registered for April 16th. Can't wait!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

April may be dicey for me, but hope to check it out this year.
Last edited by JRutherford on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Remember, the Touring Lap Events are only on Wednesdays......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

FYI, I had a question about the $20 fee that HPT charges. Here is the response I got.

Laurie,

This is an annual fee, or a one time fee per race season. So, when you paid the $20 in 2007 that only covered you for the 2007 race season. You will need to pay $20 for the 2008 season as well. I hope this answers your question. Thank you and have a good day!

Brianne Paletta
Web Design/Marketing
Heartland Park Topeka
bpaletta@hpt.com

**Check out the HPT Online Souvenir Store at www.hpt.com**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: hptinfo@hpt.com
Sent: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:40:47 -0600
Subject: Touring Club Lapping Days

I have a question for your regarding registration for Touring Club Lap Days. I participated in this event last year in October and paid $80 ($20 + $60). Since I paid the $20 already once, do I have to pay it again this year? The wording on the website is confusing to me. It says annual administration fee $20.00 (one time). I don't know if that means you only have to pay it one time or you have to pay it annually.

If you could please clear up my confusion, I would be greatly appreciative. I am planning on registering for several events this year.

Thanks for your time,

Laurie Sorenson
~Laurie~

hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I'm registered for April.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

It's not my intent to stir the pot; however, for those with concerns regarding safety on lapping days, perspective from those who have participated in the past would be greatly appreciated :D

For reference, there has been a lot of discussion on this recently on the KC Motorsports board: http://mokanmotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2816
Last edited by JRutherford on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Race
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Race »

I am aiming for the May date. I need to do some brake work, tires, alignment, routine fluid changes, etc. to get ready for it. Just not enough time to do it before the April date.
03 MINI Cooper, SS+, Koni Coilovers, Camber, 19mm Rr Bar, 225/45/15 BFG Rivals on 15x8 Rota RBs, GIAC, Custom K&N CAI, Magnaflow Header, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Corbeau Seat, MOMO wheel, G Force 5 pt harness.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Take a look at the Track Prep Day thread and we can probably squeeze some of that work in so you dont have so much to do before the may track day. I was thinking about planning more pre track/summer days before the track days. Figure its a good idea to check stuff out before driving crazy no matter what.