Heartland Park Touring Laps - April 2008

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Heartland Park Touring Laps - April 2008

Post by Minidave »

OK boy and girls, this is our first event of 2008, so let's get a roll call of who is going and figure out where (or if) we're gonna meet for lunch.

Last year we met at a restaurant in the Legends near the Speedway, this seems like a good jumping off place, plenty of restaurants and it's just almost exactly an hour drive to the track from there. Image

Any suggestions for food?

We did Granitte City twice and Ted's Montana twice, I'm open to a new place but it would be good to get a head count if there will be more than a few of us so I can get a reservation ahead of time.

Looks like the weather will be ideal, sunny skies and 70* are in the forecast right now, so if there are any fence sitters out there, come on down! 8)

So, roll call......

Minidave
Kabootist
dimini

Who else?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
petek

Post by petek »

Not me this time. :(
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

It looks like I'll be able to make it. One last blast on the track with my Cooper.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Laurie? Little REd? Coming with us?
Last edited by Minidave on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Once again, for those on the fence, this is perfect weather for a track day. Also if you think your car isn't ready, I can help if you want to get the last minute thing in before the track day on Wednesday, so Wed morning we could do some basic checks to make sure we are good to go. I am also putting out there that Granite City is not a good place for lunch, my mug club membership out there makes my first mug of beer free, and alcohol and driving do not mix. I will put a vote in for Arthur Bryant's, its quick and simple, but anything else is good too.
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

I'm not going to make it this month or probably next. I've got too much other stuff going now.
You guys enjoy! And be safe!!!
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Add a +1 to my name, looks like the girlfriend is coming to take some pictures, so bring your cameras if you want her to take pics as well.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

So whats the final plans for tommorow?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

1:00 pm at Arthur Bryant's, lunch, then the drive to the track and off we go!

Kabootist, once we get to the track you need to unload any loose items from the car then head over to the tech line, where they will check that your brake lights work and that your helmet has the right rating. Once you're thru tech it's time to air up your tires, torque your lug bolts and give everything the once over. Driver's meeting is at 4:15, 1st cars hit the track at 4:30. You need to choose which group you're going to run in, beginner's, intermediate, or advanced - I'd recommend beginner's so you can have a ride along instructor show you the right line and brake points. You'll go plenty fast enough - remember, this is about driving within your limits and learning how your car behaves - not about setting fastest lap.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

sweet, I registered as a beginner, because the last track i drove on was in Chile and I was 12, in a Fiat, which looked a lot like a classic mini. I already got all the loose stuff out of the car. I'm hoping for only needing the instructor for 1 or 2 sessions and depending on how tomorrow goes, I might move up to intermediate next time. I'm getting really excited to get the Mini on the track. I went and had a last meal with my co-workers tonight just in case. :D
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'll see you all at lunch. Sorry for the late RSVP but was in Kentucky last week.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great, glad you are coming with us!

See you at lunch then...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I'm meeting a friend for lunch, so I won't be able to do lunch with you guys. I'll swing by Arthur Bryant's after lunch, to caravan up with you, if you're still there. Otherwise, I'll see you at the track.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

How was it, fellas? The weather was awesome today (albeit a little windy) and I'm hoping everyone had fun!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We had an awesome time!

They were still pretty short staffed on instructors for the novice class - they're going to have to get on top of that situation or new people will stop coming out. All the more reason why a sponsored DE makes so much more sense, at least for a novice.

We had a couple of "interesting" moments, a Porsche spun just ahead of us in one session and there seemed to be a few people who either don't know the rules, forgot them, or simply decided not to follow, as there was plenty pf passing going on without a point by, and slower people holding others up.

That said, it's still a blast to be able to take your MINI out and run it like this!

Most often heard comment "Those MINIs are really fast! I had no idea they were that quick" usually spoken by a Porsche or Covette driver. No, we can't keep up with them, but they don't just run away from us either...........fun times! However, more than one Camaro or Mustang driver got passed by a MINI today! Opened their eyes a bit, we did..............

The weather was a bit windy, but you don't notice it much when you're hitting about 110 mph over the crest on the front straight!

They did have us running an abreviated course, and we missed some of our favorite turns, but being as short staffed as they were, it was probably a good thing.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Was a great time again! I'm glad I entered the intermediate division although I had to wave a lot of cars by (my MINI is a non S with a CVT). It definitely was a different course with new challenges to me. Look forward to going again.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

All I can say is AWESOME! I will be doing this again. I got lucky the second time around to get behind a car with an instructor in it and at the front of the pack. The MINI is a truly impressive car and the track proves it even more. I should be getting pictures up sometime later. Not sure when though.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Here is a video from last night. Sorry-no MINI's but it gives everyone a feel for the track and the course.

HERE
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Why do people feel the need to layer their videos with loud, obnoxious music? Isn't the sound of the engine music enough?

I'm impressed with how clearly you can hear the Viper engine, I get so much wind noise in mine you can hardly hear it...........

Thanks for the vid, it shows the course we were running very clearly, and how short it was, especially in something as fast as that Viper! That thing really goes!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Interesting video. I agree, no need for crap music overlay. Seems like I was shifting about 3x as much. Vipers must be major torque monsters--I wasn't counting, but it seems like one downshift past alpha and then cruise through the next several turns...

Great evening, in spite of my own miscue during a yellow flag (which I didn't see). Ironically, my peripheral vision and 306-degree awareness has improved greatly since last season.

wind noise in video:
Viper video probably has a higher end camera with remote mike located in the front floor board, under dash, etc.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

PICTURES!

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... ng%20Club/

better late than never....i guess :shock:
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

+1
Thanks!