H&R Spring Install Question

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
saturn

H&R Spring Install Question

Post by saturn »

So here's the dealio: I bought a set of brand new in the box H&R Springs for my MINI from a guy on NAM at a great price of $165. I've read posts all over the place on how easy the install is and plan on doing it myself in my driveway (don't have a garage :( ) and have a couple of questions,
1) I've downloaded the pdf instructions from Alta's website, seems pretty straightforward, are there any real-world tips that anyone can offer?
2) A lot of people get adjustable rear lower control arms to correct the slight additional negative camber that the springs add to the rear, is it REALLY necessary? Are the benifits/disadvantages? I built air cooled VW's all of which were lowered (and that's some real camber!) so I'm used to the premature inner tire wear!
3) I read in another post on good alignment shops in the area, but they were recommended for a pre-07 Mini, does anyone know of a shop that HAS worked on an R56?

Any and all feedback is appreciated fellow MINIACS!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't think they'll be too hard, we had to replace one of the rear Koni shocks on MiniGeoff's car and we did it in my garage (to change the shock you have to remove the spring) and you seem more than mechanically capable. The only thing you may need is a good bench and vice to hold things while you disassemble/re-assemble. It might be a challenge to do this on the driveway.

If you don't get the adjustable rear arms, will it get a little squirrely, or simply wear the tires faster? I guess there's one sure way to find out.

I don't know of any good performance alignment shops on your side of town, but my understanding is the MINI only has adjustment to the toe-in anways........any shop can handle that.

BTW, are you planning to run at Heartland Park with us this year? Really inexpensive track time and fun, fun, fun!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I've got adjustable control arms with my shocks and springs, but I don't think that they are required by any means. Heck, I'm not sure I even have an real camber adjustment to speak of currently anyway.

Dave's right, however, the shocks on my car were pretty simple. And I'm not sure you'll need to do the vice thing with it, I think that was a requirement of my adjustable shocks, so if you are just doing springs it shouldn't be to bad.

Something to be wary of is tire clearance, however. I'm pretty sure I've got the same springs (though mine are called H-Sport, but I think it's a name change rather then a different spring) and the drop was pretty significant. I've got about 2" of drop now with the springs and shocks, and I *think* my current wheels and tires are basicly the same size as stock, and they fit, but I don't think I could get much bigger without tire rub.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
saturn

Post by saturn »

MiniGeoff wrote:Something to be wary of is tire clearance, however. I'm pretty sure I've got the same springs (though mine are called H-Sport, but I think it's a name change rather then a different spring) and the drop was pretty significant. I've got about 2" of drop now with the springs and shocks, and I *think* my current wheels and tires are basicly the same size as stock, and they fit, but I don't think I could get much bigger without tire rub.
Clearance will be no issue. The springs lower the car by 1.4 inches. I've got 18's on with low profiles (215/35/18's) Plenny of room! 8) Thanks for the feed back MiniGeoff and MiniDave!

Dave, I'm actually thinking I need to come get some laps in this year!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: H&R Spring Install Question

Post by MiniManiac »

saturn wrote:So here's the dealio: I bought a set of brand new in the box H&R Springs for my MINI from a guy on NAM at a great price of $165. I've read posts all over the place on how easy the install is and plan on doing it myself in my driveway (don't have a garage :( ) and have a couple of questions,
1) I've downloaded the pdf instructions from Alta's website, seems pretty straightforward, are there any real-world tips that anyone can offer?
2) A lot of people get adjustable rear lower control arms to correct the slight additional negative camber that the springs add to the rear, is it REALLY necessary? Are the benifits/disadvantages? I built air cooled VW's all of which were lowered (and that's some real camber!) so I'm used to the premature inner tire wear!
3) I read in another post on good alignment shops in the area, but they were recommended for a pre-07 Mini, does anyone know of a shop that HAS worked on an R56?

Any and all feedback is appreciated fellow MINIACS!
I did this install a few months after I purchased my 08. I have one advantage over you and that is access to a lift and all the tools I need (thank you Ft. Carson).

It took me about 2.5 hours to knock it out by myself.

You DO NOT need adjustable control arms. My MINI is sitting well within the factory specs for rear camber. I am at about -1.0 degrees on the back. My Saab rolled around at about -2.0 degrees, so it isn't that bad.

If you follow the directions you will be fine. The only mistake I made was that I unscrewed the front struts from the tower before I released them from the bottom. I had to reconnect them at the top and then wiggle them free from the bottom. It is a bit of a bear to get them back in during reinstall. The rear is very easy. The only bolt I had trouble loosening was the one that holds the rear shocks in place.

Take a picture (mental or digital) of what the shocks and struts look like before you take them apart. Otherwise, you will be standing there with 3 washers and an assortment of other parts as you put it back together :).

Good luck on your install. Have a buddy help you out because 4 hands are always better than two.

Shoot me a PM before you do the install and I will give you my phone number. You can call me if you run into any snags.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
saturn

Post by saturn »

Cool, I'll do that Seth, appreciate the info as well!
I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine that I worked with, he just got laid off from our old place of employment and said we can do the install at his dads newly built 1500 sq. ft. heated super garage! WOO-HOO!
Can't wait!
saturn

Post by saturn »

Does anyone know the torque specs when reinstalling the strut tower assembly back on the car? Can't seem to find this info anywhere.
saturn

Post by saturn »

OK, nevermind, I found them! :roll:
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Let us know how it goes.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
saturn

Post by saturn »

Got the springs installed today, WOOOHOOOO!!!!!
What a difference, handles better (didn't know it could), and big loss of torque steer :(
Happy as a clam!
Thanks everyone for your input and info, i'm gonna go nap now, exhausted from torquing everything down properly and wrestling with struts this morning! :mrgreen:
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

:cheers:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW