Coolant

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
DDodge

Coolant

Post by DDodge »

Got home from work today and the engine fan didn't shut off after the car was. The heat was on the next to top mark and I'm low on coolant. Hmmm. Wonder where it went. Anyone know what I can get locally that's compatible with the stuff Mini put in there?

Don D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Coolant

Post by Minidave »

I think pretty much any Prestone or Peak or whatever will work fine, it doesn't have that "lifetime" stuff like GM..........but it's warm enough that you could just add some water for now till you find your leak.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Yeah, got some Prestone - now to figure out where the old stuff went. . .
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Check your coolant recovery tank up on the firewall, they're prone to leaking from the seam. MINI replaced mine last year even tho I was well out of warranty - it's a known issue on the earlier cars.

Davester had to replace his radiator recently. If it's one of those with the crimped on plastic end caps all the German mfrs are fond of these days, they fail easily............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Thanks, Dave. I remember now I've got a wet spot on my garage floor that I thought was the A/C drain. Probably anti-freeze.

Don D
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yea,my radiator was leaking (slow drip) at the pass. side seam onto the A/C compressor pulley causing the belt to slip.$550 will take care of it. :(
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Russ just gave me a ring. It was the thermostat, now either tightened or replaced.

BTW, they gave me a 335i for a loaner. I mean DAYUM! What a car! All I can say is yes. Now I wish the repair would have taken longer. . .

Don D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That seems to be a common problem too, I've heard of lots of people having a leak there - sorry I forgot to mention it earlier. Glad it was an easy fix!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"