JCW Suspension Owners - HELP ME!!

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Wizeguy9999

JCW Suspension Owners - HELP ME!!

Post by Wizeguy9999 »

Hi!

I have a 2009 JCW Hardtop and I opted to stay with the standard suspension when I purchased. I thought I would try it out, and if I didn't like it I would move towards the JCW suspension. Well after 9 months of ownership I've noticed the only downfall of this car is the body roll in it. So I'm really thinking of buying the JCW suspension. But I would like to ride in a car that has the JCW suspension first before purchasing (I'd hate to spend $2k to hate what I got).

I'm in the Liberty area, but would drive anywhere in the KC region if someone would give me a ride in their car that has the JCW Suspension.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: JCW Suspension Owners - HELP ME!!

Post by MiniManiac »

If you want to spend 2K, why don't you look at going with a good set of coil overs? You can get Cross or KW or even H&R. They will be cheaper than the JCW and will give you the option to adjust ride height and damper settings.

I put on a set of H&R springs ($200) and I am very happy. The body roll is gone and it lowered it about 1.4 inches.

I know that is not what you requested but I thought I would help out :D
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Wizeguy9999

Post by Wizeguy9999 »

The JCW suspension is $1k delivered from Morristown Mini, and the rest of the money is the installation price.

My main concern with coilovers and after market springs is how much they lower the car. With the JCW aero kit I'm already scraping on driveways, and don't want to seriously lower the car.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

The JCW doesn't lower it very much. I wanted to lower mine to get rid of the roll and awful wheel gap. Mine will scrape on my driveway if I don't take it at an angle.

You can adjust the coilovers to suit your needs.

Installing springs and suspension is fairly straight forward. I never did it before I had my MINI. It took me about 3 hours to do myself and I know there are people on this board who have done it. I would look into that before I paid 1K for someone to do about 2-3 hours of work :).

Here is a pic of my MINI on H&Rs to give you an idea of how far the lower(I think it is a bit lower now due to the springs finally settling)

Good luck!

Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Wizeguy9999

Post by Wizeguy9999 »

I'd certainly be up for ordering the JCW kit, and then letting KC Mini enthusiasts who know how to do suspension help me install it. Anyone want to help me save some? I'm just not mechanically inclined enough to do it on my own.

I'd be overly grateful :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Guess I'm gonna hafta get my business up and running after all........... :roll: :wink: :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Wizeguy9999

Post by Wizeguy9999 »

I hope your business takes beer and pizza :wink:
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

From what I've read the JCW suspension is a bit of overkill for everyday driver...great for the track, not so great for the street. I agree with Seth, try the springs first.
Wizeguy9999

Post by Wizeguy9999 »

Yeah, I've read a lot of reviews about the system and that's why I wanted to see for myself. I'm going to be doing SCCA Solo II, so I want something that is very sporty, but is tolerable. The only way I'll figure out if this system meets those needs is to get a first hand experience in it myself.